Sponsored by:

What effect to coils have on power?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 10:33 AM
doug751
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Here is my suggestion...

Coils and the ignition transistors do not cost very much. If you like tinkering with your car and do not gamble or drink away your earnings, you may have fun changing them. This is not hard work as long as you are careful to disassemble what you need to in order to get to the parts, and then you take your time not to break anything else.

Some tips: Please choose a cool night or day when you have not driven your car at all yet so that it is cold. Be sure that you have an alternate means of transport for the next day to get to work or to an auto parts store in case you mess something up. Be very careful not break your coil wires, otherwise you will pay big bucks to buy originals since they will only sell a complete set for $800 USD. Of course you could use something else or make your own, but this is a Porsche and nice to keep original.

Good luck.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:17 PM
f@tboy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what its worth, here's my experience.

I just changed mine. I changed them because they were the originals and had 19 years and 120k miles on them. They were not playing up, and the car ran on either one individually. I'd rather change stuff in my own good time instead of responding to failures

After the change there is no difference at all. The car still runs great. Its not faster, or smoother. I'm happy with my choice as I'll never think of them again on this car.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:34 PM
demonfish
Burning Brakes

is that one reply for each coilpack
Old 06-27-2009, 12:50 PM
f@tboy
Advanced

Badum-tish
Old 06-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"I'm happy with my choice as I'll never think of them again on this car."
I and a few others have had coil failures with brand new Brazilian coils .
Please keep your old working coils in the car in case your new coil / coils go bad .

And hows things on the Channel islands ?
Old 06-28-2009, 05:06 AM
f@tboy
Advanced

You'd be laughing if you knew me. I keep almost everything that I take off the car, theoretically because of bathtub graph failures of new parts, but then I don't get round to throwing them out for a while. I even have the old piston seals out of my callipers in a bag. I have my old fuel pump in the car and I'll put a coil next to it, and I'll be packing a couple of old brake pads for my road trip that starts on wednesday.

Spare DME? Pah.

Life is good here in the islands, but is good to get away for as many trips as possible.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Henry964
Addict
Rennlist Member

As I have told before, changing coils last year solved the electric "christmas tree effect" I had in my car.
Have I noticed a surge in power after changing them? not at all
Old 07-01-2009, 02:07 PM
92silver964
Racer

Originally Posted by dfinnegan
92silver964: Wish I could give you better advice. I'm in the enviable position that $100 is not a great hardship, so I would make the change if my car ran a bit rougher on just one, or the other coil. Mine, in fact, failed to start on one, so the choice for me was clear. If you find yourself in the NY area I'd be happy to let you try my coils to see if there is any difference. Actually, it'd be an interesting test.
Thanks, dfinnegan. Lots of great information there. But I think I will leave the coils alone for now since I will guess they are not holding me back. And, I can always use the money somewhere else!

Originally Posted by jneteler
I wonder how many sets of coils are going to be replaced as a result of these threads. Sometimes it seems as if we are like med students suffering from every disease we happen to be studying.

JNeteler
You are absolutely right about how novice addicts like me jump at any possibility for even the most subtle of improvements. To others it may seem pathetic, but to us it's normal!
Old 12-07-2010, 11:17 PM
RW964
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well here goes. My 90 C2 is idles rough I was just looking at old paperwork on the car and see the caps rotors plugs have been changed 8 thousand miles ago and looking in the caps all is well. The car runs bad on one coil the one that is closer to the middle of the engine running off the front coil. On the other coil idles real smothe but hooking up the other coil or by itself idles bad.
NO paperwork on the wires and no sparks at night misting water as well. So here comes new coils. I wanted to know has anyone ever had spark wires custom made at anywhere like MSD.
I would like to get a set but 500 bones for a set and no fireworks at night. I do have the Xmas Tree effect going on from time to time hoping it is the coils.
The labels are white with red letters if that means anything, Coils are going in no matter what. But nice to read what everyone has to say on all of this ,,,,
Thanks Randy
90 C2
70 911 E

Quick Reply: What effect to coils have on power?