Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st DIY valve adjust.. DONE!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 04:37 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing I know about my car and every other swinging richard who owns a 911, there is a huge placebo factor. A guy puts new air in his tires and claims 5hp, you change the oil and it "feels" faster, turn the radio off and it quicker, etc.
Yes! I agree. The butt dyno is tightly coupled to the DIY lobe located in the left ********. I always try to clarify that my butt dyno is tuned to fly wheel horsepower not rear wheel. Thus one must discount it 18%.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:35 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep I knew the car had to be stone cold to do the job. I was just figuring we could do one then do the other the next day...Can't be rocket science. I was looking at the marks on the crank pully seems kind of hard to see them.

I had the dealer do my 87 Carrera just before I sold it and it was close to a grand. It did make a huge change in performance. I just could not believe it made the car feel so much better. I was shocked.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:38 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks for the inspiration!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:47 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I once had the valves adjusted by an indy without draining the oil. Never again! It took quite a while to stop dripping. I thought I had developed a leak. I'm now back to bone dry.

Originally Posted by swmic
Craig - love your confidence gauge!!

I did my first adjustment a couple of months ago. As Craig said, it's not that bad once you get all the crap out of the way. I did mine measuring the gap at the cam lobe and checking the gap at the valve end. It seemed much easier doing it this way. There is a lot written on it if you do a search. I also read you don't even have to drain any oil out if you do one side at a time with that side of the car elevated.

Shawn

Quick Reply: 1st DIY valve adjust.. DONE!