Sponsored by:

Eibach v H & R

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:48 AM
ianellison
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eibach v H & R

I am going to fit either Eibach E7201's or H & R (Greens) HR29813 on Bilstein HD's on my '90 C4 Cab. Which will give me the most comfortable road ride? Any other comments welcome.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Sten
Pro

Ian,
I've got Eibachs with Bilstein shocks, which lowered the car ~30mm. The ride is 'firm' to say the least, it crashes through potholes (not that there's many poorly surfaced roads in the UK hahaha). It's fine for track days or when you're 'making progress' trying to keep up with that infamous Rennlister Boggiano. Bottom line - firm ride, handles great.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:14 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, H&R with Boge struts and 17" wheels gave a better ride on my car than the original springs with 16" wheels, also on Boge.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:11 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

I have the Eibach and Bilsteins. It's great for a daily driver but my few forrays into triple digit speeds tell me that I'd rather have something firmer if I were to do many track days.

Summary. Daily driver = very good. Track = you'll want more
Old 08-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Oracle
Pro

Originally Posted by ianellison
I am going to fit either Eibach E7201's or H & R (Greens) HR29813 on Bilstein HD's on my '90 C4 Cab. Which will give me the most comfortable road ride? Any other comments welcome.
A mechanic once told me H&R stands for Harsh Ride so he suggested Eibach for street.
A different mechanic that I asked he directly recommended H&R because they're more track oriented (he's a pro-driver so he's biased on track stuff)

So these two people confirmed in a way that Eibach are more comfy.

BUT please do yourself a favour and get a ride on a car with H&R and Bilsteins and you will be surprised how soft they are.. I have this combo and don't find it harsh at all, actually I'm kind of regretting not getting the red H&R in the first place...

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2007, 06:35 AM
ianellison
Racer

I have been pricing the springs and in the UK the H & R's are around £196 for the kit of 4 springs, but the Eibachs are about £260 for the set! Does this make the Eibach's better at 33% more money?
Old 08-13-2007, 01:11 PM
964rh
Pro

Eibachs on mine, great on track!

I need some sport shocks as well tho'
Old 08-13-2007, 01:28 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

H&R Red's on mine along with the stiffer Bilstein shocks. Very firm ride, but I wouldn't have it any other way, and on the track, it is very capable and has a tremendous feeling of control. Once you get used to the firm ride (even on city streets), anything else feels like the family station wagon afterwards!
Old 08-13-2007, 02:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,307 Likes on 1,365 Posts

I have bilstein/Eibachs on my C2 and Bilstein H&R's on my turbo.

When I first got the C2 it was slightly lowered and the ride was too soft, when I lowered the car another half inch it made a total difference the ride became much stiffer and to be honest with the RS sways front and rear it handles great has a good all around ride and I am very happy. Down side is the Eibach springs limit how low you can go, the H&R's will allow you to lower the car another half inch beyond the Eibach's. BTW a half inch makes quite a noticeable difference visually.

The H&R's on my turbo are stiffer and slightly harsher but I would not put the Eibach's in the turbo for 2 reasons (i) i would not be happy with the higher ride height and (ii) the turbo needs the slightly stiffer springs to keep the heavy rear in balance.

Quick Reply: Eibach v H & R