Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new lift is here!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007 | 03:19 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Default My new lift is here!!!

As many of you know the addition of the new race car has made the need for a lift even greater. Guys came out this morning and put it together so here is the first pic! I like it but still need to rearrange things to get it exactly how I want it. New garage doors will be here in a few weeks and then it will go high enough for another car under it. And then a new floor. Until then I guess I will just have to detail the underside of the 964
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2007 | 03:54 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Wow - that's one hell of a set-up! If only my garage was big enough.. and my pockets deep enough!
Old 08-09-2007 | 03:54 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Fabulous, and envy-inducing. I wish I had the space for one.
Old 08-09-2007 | 04:06 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Looks great. I've contemplated getting one myself. When my house was built 2 years ago, I had my garage concrete floor made 6" thick so that I could easily add a lift in the future.

What sort of changes did you have to do to your garage to make it ready for the lift? Add extra electrical circuits or reinforce the floors, etc?
Old 08-09-2007 | 04:08 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Burn four holes in the ramps under the jack points.
Weld up some jack stands.
Raise car.
Place jack stands under holes.
Lower ramps.
Car stands on jacks.
Remove wheels.
The perfect lift!
Old 08-09-2007 | 04:10 PM
wsybert
Pro

Looks great! That is the same lift my neighbor has.
Curious... why new doors? If you want your doors to go higher to clear the car on the lift, you would just need to extend the rails up.
Old 08-09-2007 | 04:27 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Great lift! I'm also interested in finding out more about the installation requirements.
Old 08-09-2007 | 04:43 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Steven C.
As many of you know the addition of the new race car has made the need for a lift even greater. Guys came out this morning and put it together so here is the first pic! I like it but still need to rearrange things to get it exactly how I want it. New garage doors will be here in a few weeks and then it will go high enough for another car under it. And then a new floor. Until then I guess I will just have to detail the underside of the 964

Sweet!!!!
Old 08-09-2007 | 05:19 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Really nice!
Old 08-09-2007 | 05:20 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wsybert
Looks great! That is the same lift my neighbor has.
Curious... why new doors? If you want your doors to go higher to clear the car on the lift, you would just need to extend the rails up.
Thanks guys!

I need to put my new race car on top and the 964 under it. All of that takes up the 9' of ceiling I have with no room for the door. Sooo, the new door will be manual and swing out like carriage doors on hinges. And then I am going to raise a "hat" area over the roof of the cars so that I can get the cars all the way up. If the roof over the garage was not a hip roof I would raise the whole ceiling and keep an upward rolling standard garage door....but to raise the hip is a bigger job than I want to get into.
Old 08-09-2007 | 06:24 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steven C.
I need to put my new race car on top and the 964 under it.
I looked into doing this to fit my wife's BMW in the garage and what bothered me was that both of my options for cars that would go on top leak oil. I've heard there are drip pans to prevent that, but it still seemed less than fool proof. Imagine the hot water I'd be in with her if she found oil drips on the BMW. What really stopped the project was my 8' ceiling though...
Old 08-09-2007 | 06:26 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

I got 3 drip pans with it so you can cover pretty much a whole car.
Old 08-09-2007 | 07:34 PM
wsybert
Pro

Thanks guys!

I need to put my new race car on top and the 964 under it. All of that takes up the 9' of ceiling I have with no room for the door. Sooo, the new door will be manual and swing out like carriage doors on hinges. And then I am going to raise a "hat" area over the roof of the cars so that I can get the cars all the way up. If the roof over the garage was not a hip roof I would raise the whole ceiling and keep an upward rolling standard garage door....but to raise the hip is a bigger job than I want to get into.
Very nice! It's amazing what we go through to make room for our addictions.

I am considering doing the floor in mine... not sure if I want to just go with the 2 part epoxy coating or tile. Tile looks sooo nice, but then its about $2000 vs $500. That's $1500 for the car...

Please post some pics when you are finished with it.
Bill
Old 08-09-2007 | 08:07 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Can you drop the engine with this type of lift or are those planks on each side too wide?
Old 08-10-2007 | 12:38 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RicardoD
Can you drop the engine with this type of lift or are those planks on each side too wide?
Ricardo, I think the ramps would be in the way to drop the engine but it might work? I can measure if you really want to know.

Quick Reply: My new lift is here!!!