Sponsored by:

lift types--pros and cons--any ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 12:57 PM
drisin80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift types--pros and cons--any ideas

hi. i have been thinking about getting a lift, and can't decide on which type to get. have seen both scissor type, and post type and would like some feedback from anyone with experience in using these. i could probably fit in a nine foot post type lift, but kind of like the idea of the portability of the scissor type. if you have a scissor type lift, how much room do you have to get under the engine area and work???? any thoughts?? thanks-tom
Old 08-06-2007, 01:58 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a scissor lift and have gotten a lot of use out of it. I havent done engine or tranny drops but from what I have read it can be modified to be able to do this. I park on top of it by using 2x12 ramps on the sides 2 laayers thick.
Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2007, 01:59 PM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 4 post drive on and a 2 post and I would recommend a 2 post over a 4 post if you have the ceiling hight. Between the 2 they both have there advantages and disadvantages. I have never used a scissor lift so I can't comment on that. I got by with my 4 post for a lot of years with a low ceiling working on a roller stool sitting down under the car and when I built my new shop, it was easily moved to it.

There are some pretty good deals on lifts these days with the influx of ones built overseas driving the prices down. The 4 post lifts seam to be about $1000 dollars cheaper now than when I bought mine 10 years ago. My 2 post is a bend pak that came with free shipping and I installed it myself and is American made. They also make 4 post and scissor lifts. If you figure out what you want, send me a pm and I will let you know the place I bought mine. Excellent service and awesome prices. Ritchie.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey there.
I have a few 4-posts lifts, and they are nice.
Mainly, I use them for storage...just drive on up, hit a button and you have room for another car underneath.
Not to hard to work on, but the 2-post would be much better if you need to remove wheels/suspension alot and get really close to the bottom of the powertrain.
Most of the 4-posts come with wheels and can be rolled around, even outside.
Whatever you decide, make sure you get a domestically built one...
Good luck!
Old 08-06-2007, 05:19 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

My new 4 post will be here Thursday. After 5 years of thinking about it the addition of the new race car forced the purschase. Only have room for this type but if I had more ceiling clearance I would buy a 2 post also.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

TWO POST ASYMMETRIC LIFT ... if you have the space, that would be the best one to have there... imho of course... complete access to the middle under the car, wheel work, etc...

In my case I had to go with the one like Jimq shows because I could not fit a two-post unit ... anyway, it works well.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:28 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Steven C.
My new 4 post will be here Thursday. After 5 years of thinking about it the addition of the new race car forced the purschase. Only have room for this type but if I had more ceiling clearance I would buy a 2 post also.
That is great Steve!! you can still get the center lift that rolls in the middle if you need to get the wheels off...
Old 08-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wachuko
That is great Steve!! you can still get the center lift that rolls in the middle if you need to get the wheels off...
Thanks Jaime....I am pumped! The lift I am getting does have the moving jack plates so I can raise the car on it. Since I only have 9' ceilings I plan on lifting the race car and putting it on blocks without wheels so I can remove the suspension. Might not work but that's the plan for now. I will post pics.

The big part is the garage door has to go away for the needed clearance. So I am having two small doors made that will turn into manual opening doors, like carriage doors that swing out for my single spot. Then a new garage door to match for the double side. Complicated but hopefully worth it?

Last edited by Steven C.; 08-06-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:31 PM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used my 4 post for several years with a 9' ceiling. Not the best but way better than no lift at all. Roller jacks with a 4 post are well worth the investment (which I didn't make). I have 2 jacking plates with bottle jacks which are better than nothing but just barely. One key advantage of a 4 post over a 2 post is the ease of loading the car. It makes raising the car up for a quick detail of the rockers and so forth painless.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey Stephen,
why don't you just extend your garage door rails.
I raised mine up to the ceiling by adding a few feet onto the vertical rails.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:18 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Colin 90 C2
hey Stephen,
why don't you just extend your garage door rails.
I raised mine up to the ceiling by adding a few feet onto the vertical rails.
Well, I need every inch I have and with a hip roof there is no easy way to raise the ceiling. So, when the temps drop below 100 I plan on raising a hat for the roof of the top car to go above the 9' ceilings. With a hat I should be able to extend the lift all the way to work on the cars under side.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:26 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Any links to websites for all these different lifts?

Kirk
Old 08-07-2007, 12:11 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You guys and your 9 foot ceilings. Mine's only 8'...
Old 08-07-2007, 12:12 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
You guys and your 9 foot ceilings. Mine's only 8'...
Same here
Old 08-07-2007, 01:34 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I am in the process of planning my 30' x 32' garage and plan on 11' ceilings so I can squeeze in a 2 post lift.

The lift I will get from here (only about 4 hours from me).

Marc

Quick Reply: lift types--pros and cons--any ideas