Harness bar question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 03:58 AM
964rh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harness bar question

Hi

I have a stable energies harness bar at the minute, fixed from the front seat belt mounts.
Whilst I've got the interior of the car stripped I wondered if I could weld new mountings to the end of the bar and fix this to the rear seat belt mounting point on the rear deck?
I'd still have the harnesses clipped onto eyebolts on the rear wheel and tunnel points with the harnesses still running over the bar and through my new seat backsbut would it be strong enough?

Thanks

Rob
Old 08-01-2007, 09:30 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 407 Posts

The trend is away form the harness bars, a roll bar is much preferred
Old 08-01-2007, 04:37 PM
mrmoots
Rennlist Member

Hi Rob

If you do decide to progress to the next level and put a cage in the car, I would be interested in buying the harness bar off of you

Ross
Old 08-02-2007, 02:33 AM
964rh
Pro

Ross

I may attach the harnesses straight to the back shelf, I'll find out this weekend if that's the route I'm going down.
Will let you know next week.

Rob
Old 08-02-2007, 06:23 AM
Superunknown
Racer

Rob,

Got any pictures of the harness bar fitted?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:37 AM
964rh
Pro

er, no I don't think i have.

It fits to the seat belt point on the b pillar, seat belt then hangs from the bar instead. Bar itself is 1" steel with left and right hand threads, twist to tighten. Bit like a strut brace. If you have a look at http://www.stableenergies.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GB2, they have a photo.

I'm now having one made to attach to the rear belt mounting point on the shelf, basically one piece 1.5" steel bent a right angles. This will come out about 2" from the shelf and should be sturdy enough to attach the harness to rather than guide. We use the same steel to tow 4.5 tonne forklifts so should be ok (I hope!)

Rob
Old 08-02-2007, 06:51 AM
Superunknown
Racer

Assuming you bought the harness bar from that website, how much did it cost altogether including import tax etc etc? I might be interested in trying to do the same. Have you got a 4 point harness? If so where did you source it from?
Old 08-02-2007, 06:59 AM
964rh
Pro

I did buy from SE, total cost was around £100 inc carraige so no import tax.
DHL f**ked up the delivery so I got the $60 cost refunded.

I have got 4 point harnesses, Sabelt ones. Cost £50 pr brand new in the box from an ebay shop, I'll see if I can drag the name out.

Needed some Brey Krause adaptors to fit the tunnel side harness clip so they were an extra £80 from Porscheshop. (may be getting rid of these as well)

Rob
Old 08-02-2007, 07:13 AM
Superunknown
Racer

Thats quite cheap! Really got me interested in doing the same setup now.. Does the shoulder belts just attach to the rear seat lap belt bolts then?
Old 08-02-2007, 07:21 AM
964rh
Pro

Yep, two eye bolts where the lap belts fit and clip the harness to them, run over the bar and over your shoulders.
One thing with the bar is that if you are using standard seats and have the seat pushed back the bar stops the seat going all the way. I had to adjust my seating position to a more upright one (but this was better on track anyway)

Rob
Old 08-02-2007, 07:39 AM
Superunknown
Racer

Excellent. So are you going to put the bar and bits and pieces on ebay or anything now that you are making up a custom bar??
Old 08-02-2007, 08:12 AM
964rh
Pro

More than likely, just want to make sure I can hard mount the tunnel eye bolts. (ie if I've got enough room with the c4 driveshaft)

Prob. put on ebay next week if Ross doesn't want the bar.

Rob
Old 08-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob,
I'm not sure why you're bothering attaching harnesses to a bar on the rear belt mounting points. The common solution is either to put eyebolts straight into the rear bulkhead, or (the neater solution) to put one eyebolt into the seatbelt mounting hole on the parcel shelf and then drill another one with a reinforcing plate into the shelf about 8 inches across (how the factory did it) - no need for a bar at all as the angle to the tops of your shoulders is acceptable. You really only need a guide bar to create the angle if you are mounting the harnesses to the lap belt points. Attaching the belts to a bar doesn't really achieve anything as you're not really reducing the distance between shoulders and mounting point, nor are you changing the angle, and you're just making it much more difficult to take the belts out.
Perhaps I'm missing the point ?

Jamie
Old 08-02-2007, 12:48 PM
964rh
Pro

Jamie

I've been told that it's fairly major chopping out on the rear parcel to put an extra mounting hole in, is this not right?

From what you say can I just drill an extra hole through to the engine bay and attach an eyebolt to a reinforcing plate (in the engine bay)??
This is how I'd like the harnesses mounting, just trying to avoid cost and time and welding! I'd much prefer to have without a bar to keep the uncluttered look
Rob
Old 08-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Jamie Summers
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob,
I'm pretty sure that's how it works - my eyebolts are simply drilled through the firewall with reinforcement plates behind (as far as I know - I didn't put them in). I can't see it would be any more complicted to drill the parcel shelf, but I stand to be corrected if someone has told you that it needs major chopping. I believe that if you ordered harnesses from the factory on a 964 RS they put a single eyebolt into the rear seatbelt point and gave you a three point harness - not terribly satisfactory as it would be off-centre as much as anything ..........
I've seen a lot of cars with an extra hole drilled in the parcel shelf, so I can't believe it's that difficult. Talk to someone like Colin Belton at 9m, Steve Winter at Jaz, or Paul Robe at Parr - guys with lots of experience of race cars and they will tell you what's involved.

Jamie

Quick Reply: Harness bar question