Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 02:17 PM
sshenton1975
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default chip

Hi All

I put my name down for a chip

What do I do now- should I contact S Wong directly and discuss the set up needed, paying my 300$??

Cheers
Old 07-27-2007, 02:38 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

By the way...I contacted Steve about what would happen if I changed my car's setup after I purchased the chip. Here is what he said....

"As the original customer though, you have the option of having your chip reprogrammed from one configuration to another for a minimal charge of $75 plus $5 s/h. Let me know if you have any other questions, or if I can be of further assistance."

Seems fair to me!

Will
Old 07-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Steve will be sending all of you that sent me your addresses an email with payment instructions.
I think he's writing a new section for us on his website to make payment at the reduced price ($300).
I guess for those outside the US if you pay with a cc your cc company will do the conversion for you at prevaililng rates.

Separately you can send him an email (info@911chips.com) with what type of template chip you require- or in fact a custom chip.

Thats it. Thanks to all. Let us know how you get on.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:08 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

David,

Non-O2 operation is to be avoided unless a 964 lives in a non O2 country .
It has far too many implications for DME fuel/timing maps .
There were some UK 964s imported before 95RON was completely available .

To give a clue ,the original Cup cars ran the DME with an O2 probe and control function .

I only previously mentioned those basic parameters ,so there would be no talk about zero power gain chips !!

Good luck to you all .

Geoff
----------------------------------------------------------------
KS400200,the oldest 964 on Rennlist,unless you know differently !
Old 07-27-2007, 03:39 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ritter
And Greg: Just because you can't "feel" it doesn't of course mean it doesn't exist. It may not be meaningful enough to you to warant the cost and the exercise but only you could say. But note that in an a/b/a comparison you might very well notice the delta if you were to switch back to the stock chip. Then agai, you might not.
No argument here. My dyno results tell the story as far as I'm concerned. I do think though that most people (myself included) always hope that there will be a dramatic surge in power and that expectation is just not realistic with any mod (short of forced induction). Its really hard to compare the seat-of-the-pants difference in power without having the ability to switch between two chip configurations on the fly as you are driving. (Now if someone came up with that capability for our cars, it would be an interesting test. Maybe a custom ECU with a toggle switch?) I'd also thought about using my G-Timer meter to compare the two chips, but honestly, its not worth to me the wear and tear on my expensive RS clutch disc to do a bunch of zero-60 runs to figure out if one is a couple of 10ths faster than the other. And it would take at least three runs with each chip to get any meaningful data to compare.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Lets be honest- its a diminishing returns exercise. The car is very good out of the box. But I think there is something to knowing that within modest financial outlay, you've optimized the output- even if you have a hard time feeling it.

When you start dropping weight the modest gains may become more apparent. I just jetisoned the stock seats, shocks and springs and battery. The exhaust will be the next biggie. It all adds up (or down in this case).
Old 07-27-2007, 03:54 PM
charlesj
Instructor

I can get myself some free dyno time, so I will be sure to test stock, stock+Chip, chip+primary bypass, chip+primary bypass+ open airbox cover. I will do multiple runs each and all on the same day. All on a dynojet.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:58 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

First let me say that I really like Loren and his site which has been very helpful to me over the years. All of us have something that really gets our motor running and this chip thing is his. Great, as I do not take it personally and he knows more about this chip stuff than probably all of us combined.

I was at the dyno pulls and I will say that I was more surprised with the lack of power from the stock chip than I was from the power the Steve Wong chip made. My guess on this is that we did not use a hammer to reset the ECU between runs and since the Steve Wong chip was in the car and had been in for a while the ECU had learned it. We did not give the stock chip this advantage.....so, I do not think that the gains to be had will be as great as what we experienced with Greg's car but at the same time I believe that if you make mods to your engine or exhaust this chip will help you take full advantage of them.

Loren can correct me on this though and I will probably believe every word he says on the subject. Like I said, I value Loren's opinions.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Steve- Thanks for that. My ECU "knows" the stock chip so my base should closer to stock spec- I hope! But I will make sure I hammer the ECU between pulls. But I'm really looking beyond the "template" chip to the custom version, once I get the data files to him. I'm still not expecting +50hp, but I am hoping to approach optimization for my curent set-up.

Steve W. also mentioned its important that the car be running correctly before reading data with confidence. Sounds obvious but from his experience about a 1/3 of the time this is not the case.
E.g. only one ignition module is working or the full throttle micro switch is not fully functional.

Before heading to your local dyno with his chip installed, or about to be installed, you might shoot him a call or email to get his input so your data (and results) are maximized. He seems more than happy to provide input and advice.
Old 07-27-2007, 04:21 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
And they continue to "jump-in"!

And as usual, it's the "newbes" .
have you ever tried any after market chips on your car???
i personally used a cup chip clone (ebay 45$), and all i can tell you is that the car feels so much smoother, gets better gas mileage, and pulls harder. i am fully aware that SW chips are very good, just try the 911 board, they will make fun of you if tell them SW chips dont make any difference.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:49 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lorenfb
And they continue to "jump-in"!

And as usual, it's the "newbes" .

Hey! I'm one of the "newbes". IMHO, one of the great things about the Rennlist 964 forum is that everyone goes out of their way to make all feel welcome, especially the newbies.

Bottom line, we all can afford to have these toy cars so it shouldn't be that big of a deal for any of us to spend 300 refundable bucks to play around with our toys. I'm sure most have read all the threads with regard to this subject. It'll be fun to see all the different results we all get. My dick feels bigger already.

Lets continue this discussion 964 forum style.

Regards,

Steve

P.S. Thanks to Greg and David for instigating this great bit of entertainment.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:12 AM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by deep_uv
...spend 300 refundable bucks to play around...
Or in my case, $350.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:44 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Loren has never explained how Porsche get the extra power from the RS yet others, according to him, aren't able to do so. It's very puzzling!
Old 07-28-2007, 01:36 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
Or in my case, $350.
Hopefully Steve will give you a free re-program or something like that since you were the inspiration for the GB.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:19 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SimonExtreme
Loren has never explained how Porsche get the extra power from the RS yet others, according to him, aren't able to do so. It's very puzzling!
Puzzled or disingenuous? The RS has a blueprinted engine and a revised DME to acheive a paltry 13hp advantage over a US C2.

Loren need not explain anything. It's apparent to those of us with an open mind.

Noah

Quick Reply: Steve Wong Chip GB- CLOSED