Originally Posted by Lorenfb
<insert generic chip-bashing rhetoric here>
It was only a matter of time.

Marc
Old 07-26-2007, 07:23 PM
Gary C2 UK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this guy Lorenfb ever let up? Obviously a re-chip can't possible work or he would have replaced his own a while ago. Records/LP's are old nowadays but he seems to stick by them.....going round and round and round playing the same old tune time after time after time.

Lorenfb have you got anything positive going on in your life in California?? Damn sure I'd be happy over there instead of the ****ty UK weather........
Old 07-27-2007, 10:48 AM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

OK, the deadline has passed - can those of us that PM'd with our names and e-mail addresses go ahead and contact Steve Wong? (Can you tell I'm eager to get my chip.) Thanks again David.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:53 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, how many serious takers are there so what is the GB price?

Marc
Old 07-27-2007, 11:02 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in for this. $300.00 was the decided price vs. $350.00
Old 07-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

We have almost 20 in the GB.

Let me sort this out with Steve today, and I'll let you know the details and process later on (today).
Old 07-27-2007, 11:34 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

Most will find that a better return on their money would have been a GB on a carbon fiber
shift **** or better yet a DE day. But most ignore the many threads over the years on Rennlist
with REAL results of 964 chips and focus on the ones with BIASED data.

As mentioned, for the newbies/naive it takes time or wasted money to learn!

Bottom line: Besides, there're Rennlist sponsors that provide 964 chips with REAL
equivalent results which would in the end support Rennlist!
Old 07-27-2007, 11:40 AM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most will find that a better return on their money would have been a GB on a carbon fiber
shift **** or better yet a DE day. But most ignore the many threads over the years on Rennlist

As mentioned, for the newbies/naive it takes time or wasted money to learn!

Bottom line: Besides, there're Rennlist sponsors that provide 964 chips with REAL
equivalent results which would in the end support Rennlist!
YOUR AN IDIOT Go find better things to do with your time.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:29 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But most ignore the many threads over the years on Rennlist
Loren, As the guy that posted originally with the dyno results that indicated the SW chip yielded 18.9 more hp than stock at the rear wheels, please tell me how it is biased. I have no vested interest whatsoever in this group buy or in Steve Wong chips. I could care less if no one ever buys another chip from Steve Wong or anyone else. In fact, I paid full list price for mine and wont benefit from the GB discount! The readings from my dyno run were taken during the same hour, same outside air temps, all other variables exactly the same. The car wasn't even taken off the straps between the stock chip and the Steve Wong chip. While I will agree that the absolute hp numbers are subjective, I would think the relative delta hp number should be meaningful in this case. Please tell me where the bias is? I'm only interested in facts and data, not opinions. And if other data says otherwise, please explain what accounted for my results. If there is something factual to explain it, I'm very interested in learning more.

Are there other chips out there that can also produce similar results? Maybe. I don't know because I only tested what I had available to me. Not too long ago, a chip vendor on rennlist offered 5 free chips to rennlisters to test. Unfortunately, not one of those people ever posted back to back dyno results. That was a waste of an opportunity for similar comparisons. If I'd had one of those chips, I'd have thrown it in the mix too.

As a side note, I've been asked if I can "feel" the difference between the Steve Wong chip and the stock chip. To be honest, I have to say that I cannot feel a significant difference in the seat of the pants acceleration in street driving (haven't had it on the track yet). The difference is subtle. Kind of reminds me of when the eye doctor is swapping back and forth between lenses asking "Which one is more clear: one or two... one or two..." People should not buy any of these 964 chips expecting to feel a huge surge of power.

And I'm still trying to solve my LWF stalling issues....
Old 07-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

I hestitate to offer a response but:

1. I already have a nice shift ****
2. I'm going to Barber DE school next month
3. I've probably spent over $5k with Rennlist sponsors in the last month
4. I'm a paid up RL member

Its a free market system, and do not feel remotely quilty about giving a non-RL sponsor $300.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:10 PM
rotorheadcase
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I also have a nice ****... or so my wife tells me.

Let's face it, $300 isn't a big outlay for the possible gains. We all have the option to return it if we're not happy. I fail to see the down side in giving it a try. I find it hard to believe we're all bozos who can't make subjective assessments on perceived improvement/value for money and that DME chip modifications are a Brooklyn Bride waiting to be sold.

Anyway people have been laughing at me my whole life..I'm not about to start letting them get to me now!!

Good luck to everyone in the GB I hope we're all happy with the end result.

Neil
Old 07-27-2007, 01:16 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"To be honest, I have to say that I cannot feel a significant difference in the seat of the pants acceleration in street driving"

There it is!
That alone should make the results (delta of ~ 19 RWHP), i.e. not insignificant, suspect and at least
cause one to question the experiment, as would be the case in any REAL scientific
research/experiment or data gathering. That should especially be the case based on
ALL the other data presented over the years on Rennlist which indicated insignificant deltas.

And one doesn't find an "easter egg" that all other chip guys missed for the last 15+ years.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its facinating that the debate around 964 chips is still going on !
When 1992 came along ,the factory had a very tame upgrade on the 964RS which increased the power by 16 bhp .
It was found from the start of the 964 time that power improvement was acheivable when good gas was available .

The problems started when some "chip " suppliers/tuners had no appreciations of the technical need for correct chip use.

It was not unusual to find a 964 with an O2 sensor removed ,as there was no O2 sensor bung in the cat relacement pipe . The chip that had been supplied for
the DME mapping enhancements was calibrated for O2 sensor operation .
The result was that the DME was operating in the coded, non-O2 mode , had mapping changes applied only to the O2 operation map set , so ignored and as an end result had no DME mapping performance benifit !

From that kind of nonsense ,owners said loudly that DME chips dont achieve
power increase .

The truth is that the DME needs the correct ,four basic maps selelected from the twelve available . In basic terms ,that will cover Manual/Tiptronic / O2 or Non-O2 /Euro or US .

( Small memory jog -The US 964 DME is not coded for identical operation to
European models )

It amazes me that the 964 DME chip basics are still not completely understood
18 years on from the vehicle introduction .

Maybe its the stuff that gives Loren every attack position . Sad.

Geoff
----------------------------------------------------------------
KS400200,the oldest 964 on Rennlist,unless you know differently !
Old 07-27-2007, 01:49 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"To be honest, I have to say that I cannot feel a significant difference in the seat of the pants acceleration in street driving"

There it is!
That alone should make the results (delta of ~ 19 RWHP), i.e. not insignificant, suspect and at least
cause one to question the experiment, as would be the case in any REAL scientific
research/experiment or data gathering.
Note that I didn't say there wasn't a difference at all. Its just not what I would consider a feeling of a significant power increase. I don't know that 9% additional hp would feel significant or not in normal street driving.

But again, how does one explain the 18.9 delta that I saw on the dyno. Remember that no other variables were changed. I literally just turned the motor off, pulled the DME out, swapped chips, and put the DME back in for another run. Are you saying that more dyno runs would be needed to factor out any margin or error on the dyno? Just trying to learn here...
Old 07-27-2007, 02:09 PM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Geoff

I'm presupposing that thats why Steve and some others have a variety of "template" chips to take into account the most common mitigating factors ( Cat bypass w/o 02 bung, octane etc) but readily concede that custom mapping is the ideal way to go. And thats what I intend to do.

He is offering both options and willing to back it up with consultive dialog and ultimately a guarantee.
That made my decision relatively easy.

And Greg:

Just because you can't "feel" it doesn't of course mean it doesn't exist. It may not be meaningful enough to you to warant the cost and the exercise but only you could say. But note that in an a/b/a comparison you might very well notice the delta if you were to switch back to the stock chip. Then agai, you might not.

Quick Reply: Steve Wong Chip GB- CLOSED