Sponsored by:

Porsch or Porscha shuold I be concerned

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 02:46 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skruggs964
What's really pretentious is someone that names their daughter Porsha.....
Shouldn't that be Portia?

Coming back to OP's original question: I wouldn't give a damn how the owner pronounced Porsche, just as I wouldn't care what sort of accent they had.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:49 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993c2cab
Getting flamed on the list for poor english I love it!! The thread may have gone a little of course. Some gave the advise I was looking for and thank you. All I was wondering from the brothers is would you be concerned, yes, no, or shouldn't matter. He's selling a c4 for a pretty good price, would a fanatic use the correct pronunciation? Now get out your spell checkers and have at me.
I don't think you have been flamed for spelling. I think you missed the point.

Its ironic that you take umbrage really when the advice sought initially was as to whether someone who is selling a car should be jusdged based on their pronunciation of the word 'Porsche'...
Old 06-30-2007, 04:58 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Hey I just want to know if this should be a concern. Many people are serious about cars others are not. From what I gather it's no big deal. I just don't want to buy a car from someone who could care less about proper service. Can you tell by the way someone pronounces their car?? I don't know.. looking for some advice.
Old 06-30-2007, 07:44 PM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 993c2cab
... Can you tell by the way someone pronounces their car?? ...
No.
Old 06-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

I have heard the "Porscha" name used a lot in the UK by owners of all ages Porsche .
It isnt just a USA thing by any means .
Go to Germany , Austria and the "a" is added to the end of "Porsch " as standard pronunciation . Just how they say things .
I am English , so dont add the "a" . Its not part of our language !!!!!

Geoff
----------------------------------------------------------------
KS400200,the oldest 964 on Rennlist,unless you know differently !
Old 06-30-2007, 09:22 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Okay. I have been dragged back into this thread as I have somehow "embarrassed" a few individuals.... So, in short, here comes my defense:

1) I stand by my original comment and add this... I believe in "nuance", which by definition, is "a subtle difference or distinction in expression, meaning, response". In the case of such a desireable collectable as a 911 (we can all agree on that, yes?), I would expect to hang on every word of the seller as they tried to peddle me either a beautiful gem or a hunk of oil burning trash. As "nuance" can also refer to "tone", I think that the proper pronunciation is warranted unless the seller is able to discredit that first impression and demonstrate an affinity for proper maintenance of his car....

2) I have been to Germany on numerous occassions AND find German frauleins very, very attractive... (sorry, I am straying from the topic at hand)

3) From Wikipedia: (and we ALL know that Wikipedia will hold up in court!)
"Porsche", a proper name, is originally pronounced as PORSH-uh, which is how members of the Porsche family pronounce their name. Some tend to vocalize the e, which results in Por-SCHA. Others, particularly in Canada and the United States, mistakenly treat the e as silent, a pronunciation rule that applies in English and French but not in German, producing the monosyllabic, porsh."

On that last point, I have to admit that I am unsure of the current accepted pronunciation. As you may know, the TV show "The Simpsons" has added the wonderful word "Doh!" to the Webster's Dictionary, and I still get frustrated by the definition of a "weed" which is "any undesireable or troublesome plant"... (Can a rose really be a weed?)

Does that clarify anything?

-B

Last edited by blake; 06-30-2007 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:44 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Against my better judgement may I just say that my German girlfriend (I'm going back to the early 90s here ... so 964-era) pronounced it "Porsh"

QED
Old 06-30-2007, 10:10 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

I love this place, will let you guys know how the ppi turns out!!
Old 06-30-2007, 10:11 PM
blake
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Please do - good luck!

-B
Old 06-30-2007, 10:13 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

I can't find the reference I remember, but I can find all sorts of places stating the opposite to what I recalled reading. So, personally, I thank you for making me take another look at it. I will ask a German lady I know to pronounce it for me to further my education.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:45 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To make things worse......

How do you pronounce RUF??
Old 07-01-2007, 12:51 PM
tommytomaso
Burning Brakes

PORschH...fast simple word, i work with a Frow ( not sure if i spelled that right) she is /was raised in Germany and goes back alot to see family. I find some Porsche fanatics over pronounce the "ah" on the end to make a point....that always sounds pretentious to me. Having a last name that know one can spell or say ,it seems over time my family changed the way it was pronounced to help people say it. Buonomo...but when an Italian says it BuenOmo (Good Man in Italian.)
I have 3 promotional videos form Porsche and they all say "PorschH" not PorschA...but in some faster ramblings on the videos it comes out some times as "Porsh" its all most like ownership is PorschH and wanting one is Porsch....
Old 07-02-2007, 05:55 AM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Who gives a damn how to pronounce the name of our cars - just get out and drive them!
Old 07-05-2007, 01:10 PM
dcbailey
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can someone from Deutschland weigh in?

Quick Reply: Porsch or Porscha shuold I be concerned