Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsch or Porscha shuold I be concerned

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 06:50 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The correct pronounciation would be a 2 syllable word, first syllable "Por" second "Sche" with the "E" pronounced like the E in Ergo.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:12 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

From Wikipedia - See link below:

Pronunciation of "Porsche"
"Porsche", a proper name, is originally pronounced as PORSH-uh (IPA /ˈpɔɹʃə/) (correct pronunciation (help·info)), which is how members of the Porsche family pronounce their name.

Some tend to vocalize the e, which results in Por-SCHA (/pɔɹˈʃʌ/). Others, particularly in Canada and the United States, mistakenly treat the e as silent, a pronunciation rule that applies in English and French but not in German, producing the monosyllabic, porsh (/pɔɹʃ/).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porsche..._.22Porsche.22

http://german.about.com/library/weekly/aa020401b.htm

However here in Canada, it is common to say Porsche. If some girl asks me what I drive and I say 'Porsch-uh' she is going to think I am retarded. It sounds pretentious to pronounce it with the 'uh' at the end.

Kirk

Last edited by KirkF; 06-29-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:38 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it matter?

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet;
Old 06-29-2007, 02:52 AM
Patrick L
Instructor

Originally Posted by schwank
Does it matter?
I think it doesn't matter unless you found the hood badge or original documents shows "PORSCHA" .....
Old 06-29-2007, 07:28 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read a nice thread on this somewhere. Very informative. The gist was that the company was named after the family. The family's name was pronounced Porsch where they were from (a country near Germany?? or a province of Germany where they pronounced it differently, I forget). In Germany they would have pronounced it Porscha.

Now there was a commercial with Ferry pronouncing it Porscha for a US production.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:51 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ltc
FWIW, this is my favorite T-shirt:
http://porsche.parkplacestores.com/1231.html
I've got a drawer full of them.
I WANT!

Not seen these over here. Any Brits up for a group buy?
Old 06-29-2007, 06:14 PM
madmoog
Racer

Could be tempted Steve!
Old 06-29-2007, 11:41 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Heirsh
I read a nice thread on this somewhere. Very informative. The gist was that the company was named after the family. The family's name was pronounced Porsch where they were from (a country near Germany?? or a province of Germany where they pronounced it differently, I forget). In Germany they would have pronounced it Porscha.

Now there was a commercial with Ferry pronouncing it Porscha for a US production.
Ferdinand Sr. (Ferry's father) was from what is now the Czech Republic.
The first 356's were assembled in a tiny facility in Gmund Austria. The
company's early years were quite interesting and have been well documented
in many books on the subject. Oh, Por-shuh is the correct pronunciation.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
I'm with you on that, though I tend to rely very heavily on first impressions...
You guys have got to be kidding? This thread is the most embarrassing and cringe-worthy I recall in a long time.

I would think whether the seller talks about his car in caring and affectionate terms might tell you more about the maintenance schedule than his pronunciation of a foreign surname. On the other hand it may tell you nothing at all, so my advice is to have a PPi and check the service log. Also this from someone who spells 'know' "no" I think is a bit rich...

Purely for the record and sake of conversation, I for one know what the correct pronunciation should be but believe it to sound a bit pretentious and therefore avoid it. I am happy to maintain my own dialect as 'common' and non-anorak as it may be.

/dismount
Old 06-30-2007, 01:48 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

I am assuming that all the US citizens on here are among the 87% who don't have passports or that the few of you who do have them have never been to Germany . In Germany, they pronounce it "Porsh". It is the way the family pronounce their name as well, except in the now famous US commercial where Ferry pronounced it "Porsha" because the view was that it would be too complicated to re-educate the USA!
Old 06-30-2007, 03:26 AM
jjbunn
Racer

Originally Posted by SimonExtreme
I am assuming that all the US citizens on here are among the 87% who don't have passports or that the few of you who do have them have never been to Germany . In Germany, they pronounce it "Porsh". It is the way the family pronounce their name as well, except in the now famous US commercial where Ferry pronounced it "Porsha" because the view was that it would be too complicated to re-educate the USA!
Agreed 100% I never heard it pronounced "Porsha" until I came to the States! In Europe they were always referred to as "Porsh"s, except by Americans
Old 06-30-2007, 05:34 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Ditto. It's 'Porsh' in UK/Europe, unless you are completely up yourself, in which case the extra syllable is added on
Old 06-30-2007, 12:16 PM
skruggs964
Pro

What's really pretentious is someone that names their daughter Porsha.....
Old 06-30-2007, 02:01 PM
993c2cab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting flamed on the list for poor english I love it!! The thread may have gone a little of course. Some gave the advise I was looking for and thank you. All I was wondering from the brothers is would you be concerned, yes, no, or shouldn't matter. He's selling a c4 for a pretty good price, would a fanatic use the correct pronunciation? Now get out your spell checkers and have at me.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skruggs964
What's really pretentious is someone that names their daughter Porsha.....
Portia, Porcia, Porsha, Porsche... they're all variations of the Latin for Pig - so tell the guy you want to buy his porker - that'll throw him!

Quick Reply: Porsch or Porscha shuold I be concerned