964 Turbo or 965???

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 04:27 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doc V.
I'm intrigued by your assertion, zicoramone, that Frere's claim "is true, but still incorrect." What he claims, then (if I understand you correctly), is true but false.

The point is simple, zicoramone: a name is different from the object that it designates. Like Streather and Ludvigsen, you focus on the object--the 965, "a 1988 planned range topping four cam twin-turbo"; I've noted that the "965" designation--the "965" name--has several verifiable applications and that each of those applications has currency. In his letter to me, Frere describes the 965--the car--before noting that the "965" designation is used among "among the Weissach people" to identify 964-series Turbos.

Like you, I have read the relevant works of Ludvigsen and Streather. Unlike you, however, I am not willing to use their work so hastily--and to make such a blind appeal to them--to close a discussion--particularly when such an effort, punctuated with "no discussion," is one which is based on a fundamental failure to differentiate a name and its object.

I suspect that you will continue to refer to 964-series Turbos as "964-series Turbos"; others, however, will use--and have grounds for the use of--"965" when they label their 964-series Turbos.

_________
PCA National Instructor
GVC BMW CCA Instructor
Trackmasters Instructor
Doc: Although I fully respect all the names you (and I) mentioned, I was not talking for them or from what they wrote. To be honest I cross read them only. As you may know, today the Porsche $empire$ is not very concerned with their past, rather than the racing victories (for obvious reasons). For more than a decade I have seen for myself an incredible amount of original historical documents about every single Porsche Type that was made. I bought myself many of them in Germany, in the past years. A large part of the historical documents concerning the factory work are in private hands. My opinion was made upon the facts that I saw with my own eyes. Back to our discussion, the Germans use to say: the Type 965 is a Versuchswagen (an attempt car) of a vereinfachter (simplified) Type 959 to describe it. In other hand, the 1989 Type 994 Entwicklung 911 Turbo was a development and an initial project designation for the 964 Turbo.
I'm sorry about my "no discussion" phrase. It wasn't a very happy one (sometimes it's not so easy to express to us that don't have the English as a native language). Actually I like to discuss it and I also respect your valid point of view.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 PM
Doc V.
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Your English skill are more than satisfactory, zicoramone--particularly if English is not your primary language. And your description of the 965--the car--and of the facts surrounding that car is one with which I do not take issue. You obviously have a sound understanding of Porsche cars and company history.

I think that we can agree that the engineers at Weissach--at Porsche's research and development center--who use the "965" designation to refer to 964-series Turbos do not need to revise their use of that designation based on the work of Ludvigsen or Streather. They and others use "965" as a name for a series of 911 Turbos. That designation has become entrenched in many Porsche enthusiasts' vocabularies, and its use is not intended to imply that one object--a 965--is identical to another object--a 964 Turbo.
Old 09-01-2013, 01:33 AM
chicabum
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parts starting with 964, 993, 996 and other numbers are interchangeable between several models. At times, an updated part, lets say, for a 996, could be used on a 993 and the 993 didn't become a 996 because of that. Even if the part number starting with 996 had it's part number updated in porsche's official parts list for the 993. The same way a part from a 964 could be used on the 993. In this case, The 933 still continues to be a 993.
When the 964 was built for the first time, not all of it's parts had a part number beginning with 964.

Calling a 964 a 965 is just wrong.*The correct is 964 turbo ( 3.3 or 3.6)

Quick Reply: 964 Turbo or 965???