Sponsored by:

Just cleaned ISV and now car won't idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:02 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just cleaned ISV and now car won't idle

Need some guidance on this. I just removed and cleaned the ISV and then reinstalled it and now the car won't idle at all. Literally. It won't start unless I depress and hold the throttle open and the instant I release the throttle, the car dies. As long as I'm feeding it throttle, it revs smoothly and freely as before. The instant I release the throttle, it stalls instantly without any hesitation at all. I've checked the electrical connection and it is solid. To remove the ISV, I disconnected the two rubber hoses and the electrical plug and un-did the clamp that held the ISV to its mount. I then sprayed it out with carburetor cleaner until it was shiny clean on the inside. The only other thing I did while it was off was to connect a 12v power source to it to verify that it fluttered open (which it did). Any suggestions?

edit: I removed the ISV a second time to try to diagnose it. It seems that the rotating flap isn't opening on the outlet side. I once again hooked up a 12v source to it to check that it flutters. All it does is click shut once and then stays that way. Is this the problem? Do I have a bad ISV now? I can move it open with a screw driver and it seems to move freely when I do that. But with electrical power, it doesn't flutter, it just shuts and stays that way.

Last edited by TR6; 06-24-2007 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arrow pointed to the rear?

Doc
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2007, 08:27 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chimera
Arrow pointed to the rear?
Yes, double checked that.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:17 PM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

Hmmm. It sounds like you did everything right. Let us know what the problem turns out to be.

Good luck.

Doc
Old 06-24-2007, 09:24 PM
C2speed
AutoX

Hi group,
This board has been a help to me so maybe I can return the favour.
Check that the flap door on the ISV moves toward the opening AND keeps moving past to open again on the other side. Often junk builds up or any kind of ridge keeps that door from moving far enough. The symtoms are exactly as you describe. The door closes allowing no air to get through and the car completely dies without your foot on the gas
Old 06-24-2007, 09:36 PM
hawk911
Race Car

did you reset the ECU also? If the car was running differently before because of all the junk, maybe just a reset would resolve it.
Old 06-24-2007, 09:40 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you should not need to reset the ECU. did you let the unit dry out after you cleaned it? You should angle the unit so it can drain and air out over night. I did this over the weekend and my car is running better than before. Suggest you try it. good luck
Old 06-24-2007, 11:19 PM
psiegel
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Also check the hoses that connect to both sides of the ISV to make sure that there are no strange obstructions.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:33 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Greg,

I agree with the above that it sounds like you cleaned it enough for it to get stuck at another point. Use a popcicle stick or something other than a screw driver that can put scratches on the slider and spray it down well again and move it past the area it is sticking. You can even use WD40 which will lube it some at the same time. Hook it back up to power with it soaking also. It just is sticking at a point where air is not getting by. You should not need to reset the ECU.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:02 AM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Steven C.
I agree with the above that it sounds like you cleaned it enough for it to get stuck at another point. Use a popcicle stick or something other than a screw driver that can put scratches on the slider and spray it down well again and move it past the area it is sticking. You can even use WD40 which will lube it some at the same time. Hook it back up to power with it soaking also. It just is sticking at a point where air is not getting by. You should not need to reset the ECU.
Yeah, I actually did soak it with WD40 the second time I took it off but so far it hasn't helped. Part of the problem is that I don't know what the "normal" range of movement is for it. It appears to just move a little bit from a narrow slot opening (approx 1/4") to fully closed. It does appear to have some scarring/wear on the inside piece that is supposed to move. Is it possible that it is worn to the point of needing a new unit? How much is it supposed to move? I wonder if I may have inadvertantly damaged it trying to move it with a screwdriver.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:53 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

It has been a while since I have had mine off but what I do remember is that it moves a lot more than a 1/4". The first time I cleaned mine the movement was limited and then increased as I cleaned it. Yes, scrapes on the slide could inhibit movement because a scrape is generally followed at the end of it with a bulge of metal, not good.

I would connect it to power again and take a POPCICLE STICK or something SOFT and try moving it further through its path. If it will not move any farther, then a new valve may be in the cards?
Old 06-25-2007, 09:59 AM
Manny Alban
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Hey Greg, I did the same to mine and ended up buying a new one. After cleaning it thoroughly, no idle and no start unless the accelerator was fully depressed. Drove it over to my mechanic and we took the ISV off his car and tried it on mine, viola, it idled and started fine. So, now I have a new iSV valve
Old 06-25-2007, 10:13 AM
TR6
Drifting

Thanks for the input! Does anyone know the part number of the ISV so I can price a new one?
Old 06-25-2007, 10:19 AM
DAVISRILEY
Three Wheelin'

Looks like 964-606-160-00, idle speed adjuster. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:15 PM
TR6
Drifting

Looks like I can get a new one for about $255 or a used one for $100. Not sure that I want to take a chance on a used one. I may bite the bullet and spring the extra for a new one and just be done with it.

Quick Reply: Just cleaned ISV and now car won't idle