Sponsored by:

964 Crank Pulley Removal Tool

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 11:52 AM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 964 Crank Pulley Removal Tool

Does anyone know here I can buy this tool online? I've attempted searching Pelican via the part number and I can't seem to locate it. I need this part to remove the pulley, change some seals, and continue on with my engine reseal project so any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:53 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

I am not sure where you're from, but from Kragen auto parts:
http://www.partsamerica.com:80/Produ...egoryCode=3491

If you use the long black threaded piece (it is in the gold colored yoke at the top left of the image below) without the gold tip installed, it is a perfect re-creation of the factory tool!! You just take that threaded piece, not attached to any other part of that tool, and thread it into the pulley, and the pulley pops right off.

You can either buy the kit from this store (as I did because I use it frequently - using it today actually!) or they let you rent it for free!
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2007, 01:02 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

thanks for your post. I will search and see if there is a Kragen near me. I went to AutoZone last night based on reading your previous posts. I rented a tool from them but am not sure it is the right one. I will head back over there and see what I can find again based on your picture. Thanks for taking the time to post the picture and your advice, its appreciated.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you ?
The pully removal tool is just a bolt with some threads filed off .
I made one , could post it to you .
Old 06-24-2007, 03:35 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Indycam
Where are you ?
The pully removal tool is just a bolt with some threads filed off .
I made one , could post it to you .

wow, thanks man. I am in Indiana. Let me see if I can find a local alternative tomorrow and then I'd be happy to rent yours for a week as I have two engines to do. very much appreciate your kind offer.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Rent ? Who said anything about rent ? Its just a bolt .

"two engines" ?
Old 06-24-2007, 04:03 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

I have two engines on the ground, one going back in a car I am selling, the other going to get more attention/work. I am changing all the seals on the engine going in the car I am selling to make sure that the engine does not leak for the next owner. The seals I have left are front and rear crank seals and intermediate shaft seals, all others are done.

'rent' was my way of saying I'd have the wife make some cookies or something as a thank you.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Yummmmmmmmy cooooooookkkkkiiiieeeessss !
Old 06-24-2007, 09:13 PM
mjshira
Rennlist Member

the wife makes some mean ones! everyone at the office loves xmas time 'cause they all get them.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:34 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by mjshira
Does anyone know here I can buy this tool online?
Any Porsche dealership can order one or you can take an M16 x 55mm x 1.5mm bolt and grind off about 35mm of the thread to a diameter of 12mm.

000-721-928-51 (Pulling-off screw) and 000-721-929-00 (Holding wrench)

Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 PM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
I am not sure where you're from, but from Kragen auto parts:
http://www.partsamerica.com:80/Produ...egoryCode=3491

If you use the long black threaded piece (it is in the gold colored yoke at the top left of the image below) without the gold tip installed, it is a perfect re-creation of the factory tool!! You just take that threaded piece, not attached to any other part of that tool, and thread it into the pulley, and the pulley pops right off.

You can either buy the kit from this store (as I did because I use it frequently - using it today actually!) or they let you rent it for free!
I used this method. The rental tool part # from Kragen / Oreilly is: "Ever Tough" Harmonic Balancer Pulley Kit 67007. I used the black threaded piece with a Craftsman 5/16 1/4in drive socket as a spacer to "extend" the pullers reach. Pulleys came right off with about a 1/2 a turn of the wrench. Headed back to Orielly to return the tool (the only thing I ever go there for). Hope this will help other in the future.

Emerson
Old 08-07-2011, 12:09 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Any Porsche dealership can order one or you can take an M16 x 55mm x 1.5mm bolt and grind off about 35mm of the thread to a diameter of 12mm.

000-721-928-51 (Pulling-off screw) and 000-721-929-00 (Holding wrench)

Obviously the correct tool is best. The bolt out of the pully puller set at the beginning of this thread sounds great too.

But in a fix, if you can get your hands on a standard bolt of the overall dimensions above and don't want to fool with having the end machined down to the smaller diameter, you can just throw a couple of 1/4" sockets into the hole before installing the bolt into the pulley. The end of the bolt will push the sockets against the back of the recess and push the pully off the shaft. You may have to fiddle with the socket sizes to get the correct length of this makeshift "shim", and you may have to remove the bolt and "get another bite" by adding another socket in the middle of the process, but it works just fine.

You just want to make sure you get the shims the right depth to get plenty of threads on the bolt into the pully so that you don't strip them out.

Quick Reply: 964 Crank Pulley Removal Tool