Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chicago area Rennlisters (need local shop advice)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 01:00 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

Received 212 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Chicago area Rennlisters (need local shop advice)

I have a beautiful Silver 1990 Carrera 4 Coupe on its way to me in Chicago at the moment and I am looking now to get "plugged into" the 964 Chicago group. I just joined PCA and I see the ads in their "Chicago Scene" publications for some of the local shops. I am in the Libertyville area.

I am looking for recommendations for tire mounting and alignment in the Chicago north suburban area. This is a street car so I am not looking for the perfect race setup$$$$. I am looking for someone who will do a proper job on the car for the money. Not sure I should trust the Goodyear shop down the street.

Other than that, after lurking for several years on this site I am eager to meet other local 964 owners.

All the best,
Ricardo
Old 05-29-2007, 01:07 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're in the Libertyville area, you probably won't do much better than Perfect Power. Sol Snyderman is a good guy with lots of experience. His shop is right off of 176. Check out their website at www.perfectpowerinc.com.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:26 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

MKLASKIN,

Yes, Perfect Power is in my backyard. Seems like a good place but a bit more than I was expecting. They do corner balancing and full 4 wheel alignment. Job is 4 hours at $120 an hour.

All the best,
Ricardo
Old 05-29-2007, 09:32 PM
ezinternet
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Ricardo and congratulations on the new 964. Nice photo!

I'm a fan of Midwest Eurosport in Bensenville southwest of O'hare Airport. They are convenient because when I travel I can leave my car there and pick up when I land, or use an airport-based fixed fare suburban taxi ride home if the car has to stay.

Fall Line Motorsports is also well regarded, although I think they tend to focus more on the BMW side of the street. Still, they advertise in the (PCA Chicago) Scene so give Mark Boden a call. They're in Northbrook.

The car does need need 4-wheel alignment, even if you avoid corner balancing. For a stock suspension and no track use I'm not sure that you would notice the lack of corner balancing anyway. On the other hand, if you do decide to try a track or autocross event then allow a good shop - any of the ones mentioned here, or Sol, to set up your car in consulation with you for all intended uses.

As to meeting local Porsche owners, by all means come out to Chicago PCA events: autocross, driver's ed, rallyes. There's a DE at Autobahn Country Club track on June 22nd and a rallye on the 24th. Although Rennlist is the best, there is also a ChicagoPorsche group at groups.yahoo.com in which I lurk, if you want to tap into an additional set of local Porsche people you can post an intro message there.
Old 05-29-2007, 11:26 PM
RicardoD
Rennlist Member

ezinternet,

Thanks for the suggestions. Looking forward to getting involved in the PCA events. I will also look into the Chicago yahoo group.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:10 AM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ricardo,

Ezinternet is correct about Fall Line. They do excellent work, but are more focused on BMW's. Midwest Eurosport is where I have my car serviced, and they do a great job, but they are nowhere near Libertyville. Their labor rate is $100.00/hour, so maybe a little extra driving is worth it in the long run.
Considering the proximity of Perfect Power, I'd be willing to give them a call. That level of convenience would be hard to pass over.

Good luck and let us know how everything works out.

Mike
Old 05-30-2007, 11:36 AM
joey bagadonuts
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had Perfect Power work on both of my 964's for the past five years. Excellent work but they can get busy--especially around race weekends. They specialize in 911's and work on plenty of 964's.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:08 PM
foxford
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy who started the Yahoo group has done some work on my C2.
He can be found posting regularly on Pelican, which is where I ran accross
his business. Unfortunately he's out in Oswego, but he's another info resource
at least.

souk@motomotions.com

http://motomotions.com/contact/index.htm

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/chicagoporsche/

Quick Reply: Chicago area Rennlisters (need local shop advice)