Diagnosing an A/C Issue - Other 964 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:22 PM
RBC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosing an A/C Issue - Other 964 Questions

Greetings,

I have a very generous Porsche enthusiast that will be looking at a '92 964 for me this afternoon, and given that my experience is limited to 3.0's and 3.2's, I'm a duck out of water when it comes to the 3.6.

The car has 133K on the clock, and of course this is reflected in the asking price. I'm not so much concerned about the mileage, particularly when other 964 owners are getting 200K+ miles out of these engines, and by the time I get to 200K, I probably won't be allowed to drive anyway . I'm open to opinions on what you think the value of this car might be, if it's mechanically sound.

This "opportunity" came up out of the blue, so I haven't been able to do much due dilligence, but I have read that the 964 has quite a bit more in the way of electronics, particularly when it comes to the climate control system. I'm also aware of the valve guide wear issues, which were also prevalent with the 3.2, and interestingly, some cars experience it, and some don't. Whether it's a service related thing, or perhaps a car that's used more frequently, I have no idea.

Any immediate advice on trying to sort this out would be appreciated, as I'm out of airspeed and altitude when it comes to reading up....

Regarding the A/C, the owner indicated that every now and then, if the car is turned off, and then restarted 10-15 minutes later, the A/C will not operate at all. Evidently, a "tap on the dash" corrects this issue, so is it likely a wiring issue, or am I staring at a $1,500 CCU replacement right out of the gates?

Again, any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!!!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:41 PM
Alex Sol
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had the same problem where the ccu worked intermittently. New price in Canada? 2100? Rebuild in the U.S.? 6-900.00 dollars. I pulled it out and found 6-8 'cold solders'. Had my friend, who fixes cash registers, fix the solders. It was causing the 25 amp fuse no. 1 to keep blowing and I've had no problems since the fix.

Except: I am feeling a lot of heat coming in through the vents even though the ccu settings are at the coolest setting. i think one of the flaps in the heat system are stuck open.

I have one of these high mileage 964s too. 265,000 kms or about 160, 000 miles.

Good luck
Old 05-29-2007, 07:58 AM
Taj
Racer

Alex,
If you feel heat when you expect cold, its probably one of the servos under the scuttle panel that are locked in position. These are known to play up, but can be repaired. Have a look on www.porsche964.co.uk in the technical section for a fix.
cheers
Old 05-29-2007, 09:51 AM
AB-Oz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess Florida is a place that needs A/C, just like I do down here. I had mine regassed by a mate, but there was some tell tale sign of dye so someone has tried to find a leak before... might get it done properly this spring, if I can find someone to do it.

Good luck with your potential purchase, just remember you dont really need the A/C, just wind the windows down and drive faster
Old 05-30-2007, 01:26 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Alex, I'm having the same heat when supposed to be cold issue. As Taj recommended I have checked the servos and they are working swimmingly. As you debug, please post what you find. I will do the same but I, like you, suspect that one of the flaps is not closing totally.

-JD
Old 05-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Taj
Racer

You can check to see if the flaps are closing.from memory, there are 5 servos. Viewing from the front, the middle one controls the air recirc. Far left and far right control the footwell to windscreen air distribution. So the two either side of the the middle servo are the ones that you are interested in. You can view them moving as you change the temperature from hot to cold. Both should move in unison and to the same extent.if they are behaving as mirror images and the levers that they operate are also moving then I would be amazed. Somthing is not right, with these two servos as these deal with the hotcold mix. If you can rule out the servos and the extent that they are closing the flaps.... As a rule, once the servo has done its thing, there should be no further movement of the flap available. You can check by inclipping the arm off the servo and seeing if there is further range. Then we could look at other possibilities such as faulty ccu or faulty air temp sensors in the air distribution unit.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:51 PM
MisterRisky
Rennlist Member

Good points Taj. I know my servos are moving and the actuator arms are moving too. I need to see if the flaps inside the boxes are moving completely or if they might be obstructed. I like your idea of unhooking the servo and seeing if I can move the actuator arm farther by hand. I'll try that.

This could get interesting!

Thanks for the tips.

-JD

Quick Reply: Diagnosing an A/C Issue - Other 964 Questions