Sponsored by:

How many miles on your original clutch before change

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 01:52 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cobracarrera
I am nearing 35,000 miles on my C2 with the original clutch still in tact. The car sits a lot (garage queen) and it is going in for its spring tune up and it will have the RSA tail installed. I want to thave all the fluids changed but I am wondering if I need to have the clutch bleed or is it going to be time to save for a new clutch. I will have the clutch bled anyway while its there, I was just wondering if it grabs a little high because of the car not being used too much. The car is not used in DE sessions and it is basically used for pleasure drives.

At what mileage point did everyone change their clutches? Just curious Thanks again...

You should change the clutch when it doesn't work anymore unless you have a DMF failure. DMF failure is looming for you if it hasn't been done already. If you have a DMF failure, then you might as well do the clutch "while you're in there." My DMF failed at 40k miles and the clutch was changed at that point in conjunction with the DMF replacement.

Regards,

Steve
Old 05-09-2007, 07:36 AM
Devils_son
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First clutch in my car was replaced at 50.000 miles. Now, the car has over 150.000 miles and still going strong.
Old 05-09-2007, 10:44 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

The original owner of my car had the classic DMF failure at 33K and while he was having that replaced (under warranty) he went ahead and did the clutch too. I bought the car with 78K and I just replaced the clutch again at around 88K. The release point was high and the pedal was heavy but it never slipped. I replaced it because I didn't want it get to the point of slipping and risk damaging the flywheel. Once I got everything apart, I could see that the clutch disc was worn to the rivets on the pressure plate side but not on the flywheel side. Now the action is much lighter and the release point much closer to the floor.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:23 AM
Duck
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

With 84,000 miles, my clutch is fairly hard to press. In stop and go traffic, I feel like I am getting a work out. I am going to check about bleeding the system. However I am wondering what a ball park price would be for having the clutch replaced. I know that it will vary by who does it, however I was wondering if it $hundreds or $thousands.

Thank you for information.

Michael
1990 C4 Cab
2004 Saab 9-3 (the daily driver)
Old 05-10-2007, 06:34 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

I just changed mine myself over the winter. The parts in a clutch kit are approx $800-1,000 depending on your vendor and what you replace. I replaced my clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder, throw-out arm, updated throw-out arm shaft. I'm not sure what a shop would charge for labor.

If you do it yourself, just be careful with the "I might as well" items. Its very tempting to start fixing or replacing many other things while you have the car apart. I found a leaking oil line, some rusted tin, etc. I replaced the oil line but left the tin. I was afraid that if I started taking the tin off that I would head down the path of rebuilding the engine completely.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:48 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck
With 84,000 miles, my clutch is fairly hard to press. In stop and go traffic, I feel like I am getting a work out. I am going to check about bleeding the system. However I am wondering what a ball park price would be for having the clutch replaced. I know that it will vary by who does it, however I was wondering if it $hundreds or $thousands.

Thank you for information.

Michael
1990 C4 Cab
2004 Saab 9-3 (the daily driver)
I think the general quote for a C4 is 10-12 hours shop time plus parts. Total bill would probably approach $2000 not including (as Rob alluded to) all the things they discover and try to talk you into fixing "while they're in there." Plugs, wires, valve adjustment, fixing an oil leak, PS pump belt...they'll find something.
Old 05-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

I expect that my bill will exceed $2,000. A very good Porsche mechanic at the dealer is doing the work.

Doc
Old 05-10-2007, 01:59 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,062 Posts

You can burn up a clutch in 60 seconds or 250,000 miles. It all depends on how you drive. I just broke my rubber-centered clutch disc yesterday, in fact, at a Blackhawk DE. I think it might be the original clutch disc, but not sure. My car has 123,000 miles.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:48 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Just talked to the PO a little while ago and asked him about the clutch. He said that he never had it replaced. So I'm thinking I probably still have the original in my car but then it's only got 230,000 on the odo
Old 10-27-2007, 09:57 PM
ddubois
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris M.
The original owner of my car had the classic DMF failure at 33K and while he was having that replaced (under warranty) he went ahead and did the clutch too. I bought the car with 78K and I just replaced the clutch again at around 88K. The release point was high and the pedal was heavy but it never slipped. I replaced it because I didn't want it get to the point of slipping and risk damaging the flywheel. Once I got everything apart, I could see that the clutch disc was worn to the rivets on the pressure plate side but not on the flywheel side. Now the action is much lighter and the release point much closer to the floor.
I've been trying to understand how clutch release point has any relationship to clutch disc wear. It seems to me that on a hydraulic clutch the release point is only a function of how well the hydraulics are functioning and bled - air in the system or worn cylinders will cause the release point to move closer to the floor. As the disc wears the hydraulics auto-adjust.
The only possiblity I can see is that a new disc will be more compliant, or compressible, thereby moving the release point closer to the floor.
I'm debating changing my clutch this winter. I have 64k and don't know the history, although I suspect the clutch has been changed by a PO. My release point is high but the clutch does not slip, either at high RPM or low RPM load.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:04 PM
vernon
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hi my 89-c4 is at 91 thousand miles an it just keeps runing fine I did change the slave cylinder last month an at is much better.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

mine was replaced at 60,000 with the updated dmf. I bought the car at 90,000 and it had signs of needing a clutch. I'm at 124,000 now and I still need a clutch.

/shrug

I'll get around to it at some pt.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:33 AM
newsboy
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Previous owner changed 1990 C4 clutch at 43,000.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Stewart H
Advanced

Had mine replaced this week at 53,000 km. It wasn't slipping but the change had become notchy and it was difficult to get into first at standstill when it was hot. The pedal also has a lighter feel now. The downside - Porsche revised the price of spare parts recently and the RS clutch was one thing that suffered with a 40% increase. They say that some parts have come down in price but I guess they will be the ones nobody buys.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:01 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Stewart, do you have the RS clutch & LW flywheel now? How are you finding it?
I like mine (RSR) but it is very stiff in traffic.

Quick Reply: How many miles on your original clutch before change