NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 9m 964Cup car is Manthey's Championship winner

Hopefully most of you will remember my earlier post on our 1990 964 Cup car:
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...964+trophy+cup

Well, the news is that we had verbal confirmation from Porsche today regarding the number of cars made and the colours. From the first batch of 1990 Cup cars made for the Trophy Cup series (ours is 007) apparently Porsche AG's records show that all the cars were produced in white but some were returned to the factory for a colour change on the request of Porsche Motorsport. Apparently out of the first 50 cars, only one was changed to Viper (signal) Green, so since Manthey won the year with a green car it can only mean that this is, in fact, the championship winner.

The car has been repainted previously and also stood outside for a number of years so it needs to be repainted. We know that both front wings have been replaced (courtesy of Olaf) so the plan will be to undertake a sympathetic repaint in the near future and it will be interesting to see what we find under its current top coat. More later.

And here's me, thrashing it within an inch of it's life around Oulton Park....
Old 04-24-2007, 03:57 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice find Colin! Looking forward to your updates.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:34 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes please keep us updated and thanks for pointing us to the original thread.

As one who has only been a 964 owner for a few months I have become completely engrossed in its history and racing pedigree and cannot get enough information at the moment. I now wish I hadn't been so shy at the Oulton RS day and had come and blagged a ride in the green machine .

I also fear that I am now in deep trouble having read the article in 911&PW about how you can turn my standard C2 into an RS replica and that 9M is literally minutes driving from my house. Must resist. Must resist!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:45 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

That is great, and I can't think of anyone else more fitting to own the 1990 winning car. Did you mean to post a link to a video of you thrashing the car?
Old 04-24-2007, 08:46 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
That is great, and I can't think of anyone else more fitting to own the 1990 winning car. Did you mean to post a link to a video of you thrashing the car?

+1

Steve
Old 04-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Drive it that's what it's for! Much better than polishing it and keeping it in a bubble somewhere.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:03 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics
Old 04-25-2007, 12:16 AM
deoxford
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those pics are great, most look like the rear wing is in the down position. Does the engine get enough cooling that way?
Old 04-25-2007, 04:22 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by deoxford
Those pics are great, most look like the rear wing is in the down position. Does the engine get enough cooling that way?
Oh, it's not deliberate, just a case of "buy car, wash it, polish it, race it", another one of those details that we have to address when the paintwork is done.

Thanks for the pic link Tony, I had not seen those. Considering the car was running on 8 year old P Zero C's I think it did ok for itself, I would have liked more power and should have found the time to fit Motec before the event but hey, we had a lot of fun. Well, I did at least, there was the one passenger who requested an emergency stop in the pits because he had to throw up....
Old 04-25-2007, 11:51 PM
WHITECAR
Advanced

Default Car # 10 and some History..

This is great... I have finally gotten to spend a little time to try to figure out the history of mine....

I have 1990 Euro car #...10. (Had it for about 6 yrs)
It was driven by Rudiger Schmitt. I think it was only campaignged formally in 1990.. I'm pretty sure Schmitt was second overall for 1990 series behind Olaf Manthay. I'm trying to put together more of the history. He raced with or for Max Moritz.
I think my car may have chased Colin's car around alot in a past life !

My wagonpass has the races listed and I have gotten a few 90 Cup posters, but don't have too much info. Wagonpass shows car "12" for most/all races I'm pretty sure, but not sure what it looked like. If the numbers were consistent, I think I see it in one of the posters, but this is a lot of if's...
Any information is really appreciated. This is fun.

Regards,

Bob
(whitecar)
Old 04-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Check with FstockCarrera (Bob Scotto) here, he just purchased the entire season of 1990 cup races and should be able to at least tell you what the livery was. You probably don't want to see the videos, especially if the car ran second as you'll find out how much "rubbin" goes on and results in replacement of body parts almost every race
Old 04-26-2007, 09:31 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Unfortunately Bob we bought 007 from an auction and received no paperwork at all from the auctioneers, apparently the car had been collected from its storage location and transported to the auction without even being cleaned. It would be good to locate the original Wagonpass but I think that is highly unlikely in the case of 007.

Incidentally (pardon me if this is stating the obvious) when checking out the colour of our car we noted from photos and videos that there are a lot of Cups running body colours with a white interior and cage so it is likely that some owners of white cars will find out that they actaully raced under a different body colour.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:43 PM
WHITECAR
Advanced

Default You don't buy these cars for the history!

Thanks..

The history is nice to follow, but the real fun is in the car itself.
It sure looks like a great group of people that have or appreciaate these cars.
My car never ceases to amaze me as to it's ability to endure!

Regards,

Bob

Quick Reply: 9m 964Cup car is Manthey's Championship winner