Newbie Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 10:20 AM
buellrunner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Question

Hey All,

I know that this may sound like a stupid question, but Im not as mechanically inclined/knowledgable as alot of the people on the boards...

Im still getting used to the clutch in my 964....far different from my Honda! Im finding that I stall the car (or almost stall her (rpms drop real low for a split second)) every once in a while, mostly when reversing, or when getting in the car and taking off for the first time that day....The tranny/clutch in these cars are far more direct and stiff than the japanese cars...I LOVE IT.

Can stalling a Porsche 964 periodically in either forward or reverse damage the motor in any way? Can it damage valves or any other internals?

Thanks for any feedback!

Jack
Old 04-24-2007, 10:52 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 511 Likes on 188 Posts

Stalling it to the point where you would have to start the motor again is not good, especially if the engine is cold. My understanding is that most wear and tear happens while the engine is cold, since the oil has not warmed up enough to lubricate and protect all the engine components.

I don't think it's as bad if you stall a warmed-up engine, but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. There might be negative effects to other parts - starter, etc.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:54 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by buellrunner
Hey All,

I know that this may sound like a stupid question, but Im not as mechanically inclined/knowledgable as alot of the people on the boards...

Im still getting used to the clutch in my 964....far different from my Honda! Im finding that I stall the car (or almost stall her (rpms drop real low for a split second)) every once in a while, mostly when reversing, or when getting in the car and taking off for the first time that day....The tranny/clutch in these cars are far more direct and stiff than the japanese cars...I LOVE IT.

Can stalling a Porsche 964 periodically in either forward or reverse damage the motor in any way? Can it damage valves or any other internals?

Thanks for any feedback!

Jack
It's highly unlikely to cause any damage. You're only stalling it at the moment because it's different and you're automatically being sympathetic with it. I stalled mine a fair few times when I got it (especially reversing). I think it's the fear that it's going boot off down the road while you hang on for grim death .

Soon you'll be used to it and the stalling will be a thing of the past.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:43 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

No, you won't be doing any damage. You will put a bit more stress on the starter/battery, however small, but if it happens every day for 2 years, you'll be going through a start/battery more often than the next guy. Over time, you'll get used to the clutch. In my 3.2, the engine needs to run long enough to stabilize the revs so it idles smoothly. This usually lasts about 60 seconds. If I try to drive off before then, I frequently stall it as well.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:51 AM
1990-964
Pro

Can't comment on any effects of stalling the endine, but I can say that the 964 does have more of a learning curve than your typical Honda (had several myself). From my experience with my car as well as others that I have driven including the 993 it seems that the car likes more revs to launch smoothly. When I prod it getting off the line it responds better than trying to ease it off. Don't worry though you will get the hang of it.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:32 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

It took a while for me to get used to the stiffer and less progressive clutch of the 964. It is not a problem anymore.

Everytime someone else drives my car (friend, mechanic, bookie) they invariable stall it and feel a little foolish.

Marc
Old 04-24-2007, 03:42 PM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

I agree with those that say you are hurting nothing. Unless you are getting it kicking and bucking then you may be stressing things a bit. Its natural to feel protective of your new baby. I remember how guilty I felt when I hit the rev limiter the first time and ran to rennlist to profess my guilt and was assured that I had not hurt anything or done anything wrong.

It took me about 6 months of driving several times a month to get used to and confident in the way they drive. 2 driving skills days helped out a lot and I highly suggest taken one if you have not already.

I am now confident enough to go into a wet corner meant for 30 mph at 60+ and if the rear starts to come out I give it more gas and opposite steering and power right on through.

Quick Reply: Newbie Question