Sponsored by:

C4 to C2 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 12:13 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C4Russ
Unless one own's a model, they ought to not 'share' the rumors they have read or heard from sources other then actual owners.
Very fair point.
Originally Posted by C4Russ
Frankly, they are the best value in the 911 family.
Agreed. Certainly a better value right now than the 993. My prediction is that it's only a matter of time before more of the enthusiast community catches on to the timeless classical beauty and engineering of the 964 as it ages.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:27 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by Boatsonthebrain
Kind of a scary article for current or potential (like me) C4 owners

See, that's the problem with articles like this (and basically all news media for that matter). You must be more scientific about reading articles - don't believe the first thing you see published! There is nothing that should scare any informed owner or purchaser of a 964 C4. It drives me nuts when people make claims about things they are misinformed about - and as mentioned before, the 964 and its technology is riddled with such misinformation. You'd think a little searching on RennList or other sources would be a requirement to publish an article in a national magazine... I guess that's the difference between a peer reviewed publication and not... but then again, this is just a hobby and not medicine!

Of course, not all these things will happen at once.
Do they ever happen???
Old 04-18-2007, 09:24 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"See, that's the problem with articles like this (and basically all news media for that matter). You must be more scientific about reading articles - don't believe the first thing you see published! There is nothing that should scare any informed owner or purchaser of a 964 C4. It drives me nuts when people make claims about things they are misinformed about - and as mentioned before, the 964 and its technology is riddled with such misinformation."

Referring back to my first post, this conversion is accommodating the special needs and desires of the owner. I did not read the article as bashing C4's.
It's possible some could read it and become apprehensive concerning all the extra hardware and future maintenance. I balance that thought by reading all the good from owners.

No matter what in life, if there's something you're really enjoying, there's someone with no experience, sitting on a fencepost, telling you why you shouldn't be enjoying it.

Noah
Old 04-18-2007, 10:43 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

"So far, a dud. It's got misinformation and portrays the C4 as a piece of crap car that nobody should purchase. You gotta' love one guy's opinion taken as gospel..."

I thought the article was a good article and didn't see any bashing or "sky is falling" attitude in it. The fact is that these cars are getting older, there are some wear items, and replacement parts can be expensive.

Ilko,

The Hammer is required to activate the ABS valves for proper bleeding. In most cases, you can simply bleed the system, but in others, the Hammer or PST-2 is required to ensure all of the air is out of the system.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:22 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I have not read the article, but my C4 is sitting in a pool of it's own brake fluid (AWD fluid) as we speak. This is the 2nd time my AWD system has 'blown up' on the track. Last time it was $1200 to fix the problems.

That said, the C4 is a hell of a track car, and gets a bad wrap for sure. It's got tons of grip for low speed corners, and gobs of traction, so if you can drive to capitalize on that, then it's fast.

Would I convert to a C2? No friggin way, thats just stupid. Would I buy a C2? Maybe, lets see how much it costs this time to fix.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:04 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Ilko,

The Hammer is required to activate the ABS valves for proper bleeding. In most cases, you can simply bleed the system, but in others, the Hammer or PST-2 is required to ensure all of the air is out of the system.
Do you mean PDAS valves? The Hammer doesn't do anything to the ABS pump itself - it doesn't do anything for the brake system.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:49 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I just read the article. Actually, I am intrigued. I might have to recant my comment. ;-).

The problem that he spoke to his customer about and said 'you will know when it's time' actually happened to me... twice now! And I posted the wrong $ above, it was $2400 to fix the first time.

See here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/305090-help-service-sanity-check.html

I actually did have brake fluid in my tranny. I had it flushed. In the article Joel mentions you must take it apart and clean all the gears. My shop(s) didn't recommend that. hmm. Also, I wish I had more detail about why the conversion was recommended. Seeing as I am on my 2nd longitudinal slave cylinder, I am very curious if there is some other part that, once worn, will continue to cause it to blow up and leak at a more frequent interval.

I am interested to read the next article and see how expensive and labor intensive the conversion is. It appears a 993 six speed tranny is part of the equation, and I am sure front axle/etc.

I drove my car around w/o the front being able to have any torque (essentially 2wd at this point), it's kinda fun, I can do donuts and get wheel spin. I was really getting loose on the track when it first failed, I knew something was wrong, then I came in to the pits and saw the pool of brake fluid.

I also wonder, if I just sealed off somehow the brake fluid line to the longitudinal cylinder, I would in essense remove the capability of engaging the front wheels right? Then I would have a C2 with an LSD and a bunch of extra weight right? I wonder if I could have done this, filled up with more brake fluid, and drove the rest of the day?
Old 04-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Ruairidh
Super Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
For my situation in sunny Texas, a C4 would make no sense and only mean more potential cost for repairs and upkeep.
For my situation in sunny Texas, a C4 makes a heap of sense, but to each their own
Old 04-24-2007, 01:59 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Perhaps more interesting than a C2/C4 debate might be how many C4 owners here have had to:

(1) replace (not just clean) an acceleration sensor

(2) rebuild/ replace torque tube

(3) rebuild/replace clutch pack on power transfer unit

Any other problems specific to the C4 drivetrain that should be included in this informal poll?
1) No

2) No

3) No

Other? I have had to replace my hydraulic boost pump about 10 years ago. My mechanic told me that it was caused by a failed relay that caused the pump to burn up.

Overall, the 964 C4 is a very reliable system.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:13 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just wish I could disable the front wheels long enough to do a dyno run.
The nearest AWD dyno is 10 hours away in Minneapolis.

Kirk
Old 04-24-2007, 09:22 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KirkF
I just wish I could disable the front wheels long enough to do a dyno run.
The nearest AWD dyno is 10 hours away in Minneapolis.

Kirk
There is one in Edmonton that I hope to get to this summer -- is that closer for you?

Marc
Old 04-24-2007, 09:36 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Marc,

About 13 hours to Edmonton. But at least there would be no cross border hassles.

Kirk
Old 04-24-2007, 11:10 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been on this board for almost 7 years now. I've read thousands of posts over the years and most posts on these boards are about problems people are having. It's REALLY rare to read about 964 AWD failures. You would think that if the 964 AWD system was designed poorly or prone to failure, the boards would be full of posts like that.

However, AWD component failures seem to be quite rare and I have not been seeing much of any increase in these types of posts. I'm certainly no expert on any of this, but these are my observations from visiting frequently for 6+ years.

I highly agree that the 964 was one of the last 911's built with the "build the best 911 at any cost, regardless of what it costs" mentality. I finally got mine out this past weekend after it had been sitting since early October for winter storage. What a treat to get into the car again and these 964's are really the best value in the modern (post 1989) air cooled 911's.

Jay
90 964
Old 04-27-2007, 10:09 AM
puma1824
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This damn article prevented me from selling my car...buyer backed out last minute because of it.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:46 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by puma1824
This damn article prevented me from selling my car...buyer backed out last minute because of it.
Tell him to read this thread and maybe he'll change his mind.

Marc

Quick Reply: C4 to C2 conversion