Sponsored by:

Ignition sensor in Distributor

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 11:24 AM
ninesixfourrs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ignition sensor in Distributor

Ok fellas got a 964 RS N/GT how easy is it to replace a faulty ignition sensor in the distributor cos I'm getting an intermittant fault making the car jerk suddenly and the rev counter needle flick around and back my Motec guy says it seems like either the Crank or distributor sensor could be on its way out............I'll do this distributor sensor first cos if it ain't that then it'll be the crank sensor on the flywheel....an I won't be attempting that....oh yeh there's also an electrical block connector on the side of the distributor which has one of the holding clips broken so it falls out, don't suppose that could be part of the problem eh !!
All idea's welcome.......I'm off to give it a Zymolling so I'll catch up with thread later this evening.......Cheers.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:11 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try unplug the distributor sensor and then go for a drive . Does the jerk go away ?
Old 03-21-2007, 12:13 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

First, the MoTeC system has advanced diagnostics that will give you the ability to determine which sensor is bad. I'll go on an assumption here and say that the crank reference sensor is probably the factory sensor reading the factory 60-2 DME ring on the flywheel. Further, it is probably set up for full sequential injector which requires a cam position sensor so the factory hall effect signal in the distributor is used to tell the ECU where TDC #1 is. Once the engine is running, a faulty cam position signal on a missing tooth mode will not effect the ECUs ability to determine crank position. This functions very similarly to the factory Motronics. So, the fact that you have a tach that moves around suggests that the ECU does not know where the crank position is until it is resynched by the missing teeth and the cam position. The data logging in the ECU, as well as the online diagnostics via laptop can very easily determine where the problem is. Your MoTeC guy can also connect an oscilloscope to a breakout harness and watch the cam and crank sensor signals which will show what the ECU sees.

The hall sensor in the distributor is not available separately and you must replace the entire distributor at something like $900 with Porsche's new pricing. So, before you go replacing things, why don't you spend the time with diagnosis using the supplied MoTeC tools?
Old 03-21-2007, 01:33 PM
ninesixfourrs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Cheers Geoff its starting to get a bit to technical for me but i'll relay this to my motec man....cheers

Quick Reply: Ignition sensor in Distributor