Sponsored by:

Mixing Tire Brands Okay or No

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 08:02 PM
Randy Carter
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing Tire Brands Okay or No

I currently have Toyo Proxes Z1 on all four. The rear tires are on the wear bars and I need to replace them. Should I even consider a new brand if keeping the front Toyo tires? Am I likey to get better tires in terms of street ride by switching to another brand whether on just the rear or all four? All comments appreciated.
The guys at Tio Tire said a brand made by Kuhmo might work well with the Toyos and said they'd give me the fronts at cost if the Kuhmo rear tires didn't feel right.
The car felt flitty and wouldn't track straight with mixed brands. Very objectionable performance even at 70-75 mph. Took the car back and got the two front shoes for $135. Feels good again.
Thanks for the comments, I was able to get them to agree to a deal in advance because I knew there might be problems.

Last edited by Randy Carter; 03-24-2007 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Bad Results Mixing Tire Brands
Old 03-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you don't put the car on the track then I wouldn't worry. I drive my 911 with different tires on the front and rear and I can't tell.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Randy Carter
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Jay. Do you have a preference as far as tire brands are concerned? Are any appreciably more quiet or safe than the Toyo?
Old 03-06-2007, 08:50 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

I tried this, and would not recommend it. The car becomes very squirrley at speed. Had to go back to the same on the front and rear.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:24 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I would stay with the same brand, unless you have an experienced mechanic that knows which brands mix well. Otherwise, many people report that this can cause problems with handling. Do a search, you'll see.
Old 03-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Randy Carter
Rennlist Member

Thanks, mucho. I haven't heard anyone dissing the Toyo so I'll simply replace the back ones. Thanks again.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:26 PM
darth
Burning Brakes

You run the risk of creating a tramlining effect with disimilar tread design more so than make as many brands of tires have similar tread patterns. Tramlining can be a very scary thing!

Bill
90C2
Old 03-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running mixed front and rears now, and while it works OK, it's not optimal. Handling is subpar, and the grip feels compromised. The car still gets everything done that it needs to (which on I-75 in Atlanta isn't much), but as soon as these wear out, which won't be long, it'll be back to a matched set of S02's for me.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:54 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I have Conti Sport Contact 2 up front and Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's on the rear. I bought it that way, and I hate it. The rears give way faster that the front. Handling is unpredictable.
The only good thing to come out of it, is that I have been really trying to wear out the rears, so I can replace them with the Conti's... now that has been fun.
I have gotten used to it, but want to put it on the track and won't until I replace them.
I would agree with Jay, in that for street probably ok, but still would not recommend.
My 0.02.

Bill
Old 03-07-2007, 08:42 AM
sullivs
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

The serious track guys tell me that as long as you have the same tire on the same axles, you will be OK. Where you may get into unpredictability issues is when you have two different brand/compound/ on the same axle. In this case, you may experience different behavior when negotiating turns. It would behave one way when turning right, and then differently when turning left. That is, of course, if you were negotiating those turns at aggressive conditions.

If you had the same tires on each axle, the handling and gripping feel would be the same when turning right or left.

Obviously, having all four tires of the same nature is the best. However, I have seen a lot of 911 folks that have gone through rears much faster than the fronts, for all of the reasons that we know about. Some have replaced the rears two or three times before the wear of the front tires eventually catches up, and they have to be replaced.

But, as they say... "your mileage may vary".

Steve
Old 03-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,718 Likes on 1,068 Posts

What I don't get is why these tire companies can't make a set that lasts as long as the front tires on our 911's! I mean, seriously, we buy a new set and when it's time to replace the rears, we can't get that tire anymore. Seems silly to me.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not at all recommended but it is your car

Quick Reply: Mixing Tire Brands Okay or No