Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indicator stalk

Old 03-01-2007, 07:05 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Indicator stalk

I have a minor problem with the indicator stalk. Turn left (down) works fine but when turning right I have to hold the stalk up (doesn't click in to place).

Has anyone taken the unit apart to fix something like this and if so what do I need to know and what tools will I need?

Alternatively if I have to fit a new or used unit, can I get the 3 stalk version and wire up the OBC (obviously mine wasn't specced with this).

TIA

Steve
Old 03-01-2007, 03:52 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

There is a DIY on how to replace the unit here.

If you do a search, others have posted on retro-fitting the OBC.

Marc
Old 03-01-2007, 04:00 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I followed Marc's DIY and added front head light washer option, also.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:39 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Mark, brilliant! That looks just like what I need.

From what I can see, opening up the unit to fix the problem with the stalk could be a nightmare and lead to the car being off the road for a while if I mess it up. So that's out. Replacing with a new assembly, pre-purchased before I start disassembling, would be the best option.

I see you replaced the assembly like for like. Yet, the keyed plugs give me the hope that the OBC wiring is already there and could plug straight into an assembly that has the OBC stalk (mine is just turn, lights and headlight wash)? I guess from what Steve says this gives me further hope. Steve, did you not have headlight wash before and just bought the upgraded assembly and plugged it in?
Old 03-01-2007, 05:49 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
I have a minor problem with the indicator stalk. Turn left (down) works fine but when turning right I have to hold the stalk up (doesn't click in to place).
Steve
I can't believe you've broken something on it already

Glad it looks like an easy fix, I did feel bad that I could't sort that for you mate.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:38 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kusee pee
I can't believe you've broken something on it already

Glad it looks like an easy fix, I did feel bad that I could't sort that for you mate.
As you know I'm not averse to fixing things . Did it get throught the MOT like that or did it happen after?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:41 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
....Yet, the keyed plugs give me the hope that the OBC wiring is already there and could plug straight into an assembly that has the OBC stalk (mine is just turn, lights and headlight wash)? I guess from what Steve says this gives me further hope. ....
You'll be pleasantly surprised as the OBC wiring will be in place already - Porsche used the same wiring harness in every car, even if certain options were not installed.

Marc
Old 03-01-2007, 07:21 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Waheey! It looks like I'm going shopping! I'll check the price at my local Porsche parts counter but even with shipping costs I doubt if they'll beat the £155* that Automocion.com is charging for this little beauty.

*Helped by a very favourable $Can to £GB rate at the moment.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:36 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

I found one exception to using the same harness in all cars. The harness for the top rear deck is different depending upon whether you have a wiper or not. Up to the last extension harnesses, the principal wiring harnesses may be the same.

I did not have headlight washer option. I bought all the parts and installed it. I had planned to drill my own holes in the bumper plastic when someone hit my front bumper and it had to be replaced. So I chose the replacement to have the pre-drilled holes.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:22 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stevepaa
I found one exception to using the same harness in all cars. The harness for the top rear deck is different depending upon whether you have a wiper or not. Up to the last extension harnesses, the principal wiring harnesses may be the same.

I did not have headlight washer option. I bought all the parts and installed it. I had planned to drill my own holes in the bumper plastic when someone hit my front bumper and it had to be replaced. So I chose the replacement to have the pre-drilled holes.
Thanks Steve that's very helpful. I'll report back when I've put the new assembly in.

Steve
Old 03-02-2007, 02:33 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Hey Steve, mine is a white C2. And I will be adding the rear wiper and also removing the CHMSL when I change rear windshield. And I am adding those side markers I see on yours.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:06 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Hey Steve, mine is a white C2. And I will be adding the rear wiper and also removing the CHMSL when I change rear windshield. And I am adding those side markers I see on yours.
As you know Steve white is the only one to have. I can't stop grinning as kids stare and point as I go by. I always drop a gear to please them even more!

At the moment I'm just sorting out the basics: new continental sport contact 2s went on yesterday, getting new wiper blades, some interior bulbs and spare V-belts tomorrow. Then of course I need to get hold of the turn stalk, a new bumper support bar to replace the missing (corroded) one at the rear and a headlamp rim.

Then it'll be on to the upgrades: clubsport steering wheel, strut brace, clear turn signal lenses, RS brake ducts, 3rd brake light/spoiler and on, and on

Oh and forget to mention that tomorrow I'll be fitting the Rennlist sticker that I just got in the mail
Old 03-02-2007, 04:43 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

I'm adding the third brake light spoiler onto the engine lid also. I prefer that to the the later version mounted on the glass.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:55 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

I'm adding the third brake light spoiler onto the engine lid also. I prefer that to the the later version mounted on the glass.
I agree that works as a good alternative.

Also, what are your thoughts on exhausts? I've got a standard cat and primary silencer plus a G pipe. I can't help thinking that the latter is all show and affects go, so was thinking of putting a sports SS silencer on.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:07 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Thanks to Marc's DIY article about replacing the turn signal assembly I've got fully working indicators now. As mine (like many UK cars) doesn't have an air bag there were some minor differences.

1. There's no need to wait after disconnecting the battery. Just get straight on with it.
2. The horn ring is part of the steering wheel hub so need to worry about removing that.
3. The assembly has a copper contact strip on the indicator assembly. I had to gentle wiggle this off and fit it to the new assembly (this is needed for the horn to work).
4. The new assembly I bought had the OBC stalk aswell as I hope to get this hacked and working. This meant I had to lengthen the hole on the bottom plastic cowling to accomodate the extra stalk.

Now I just need to find out how to activate the OBC (the wires plugged straight in but there must be something else I need to do to get the display activated).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Indicator stalk