Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FVD Airbag wheel installed - pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007 | 02:33 AM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

I would not claim to be an expert but I have heard they have come a long way in occupant comfort when experiencing the airbag.

When I was in engineering school I saw video and pics of early airbag incedents. They were the equivelent of skipping off a carpet at 60 mph on bare skin. Severe rug burn from the bag. Softer material has made this less of an issue, but still exists.

I did see one pic of a man that had a cig in his mouth and had a red hot cherry embedded into his cheak when he got in an accident and the airbag went off.

One more thing to think about if you are ever in a wreck, I was once in an accident and for some reason the airbag did not go off (not my porsche). I was not hurt but the wreck was way bad to not have the airbag fly. When the fire department came I was sitting in my car waiting. One of the medics came over and told me I should not sit in the car as he has seen airbags go off 15 minutes after a wreck. Maybe won't hurt you, but will likely make you shat your pants. And for those with side airbags, try to imagine someone firing a rifle right next to your ear.

MarkD -There is a gal that works at Top Foods by where I live. She is there almost everyday for 5 years and then I notice that she has been gone about a month. I shop regular for fresh stuff so I am used to seeing certain people. Then I noticed that she was back behind the meat counter and from 50 ft away you could see it. Never have I seen anything like that. the entire one side of her face was a complete bruise. I knew the manager who I just happened to run into around the corner and asked what happened. He said car wreck. Airbag did that.

Sorry for the long wind guys.

Old 02-19-2007 | 08:06 AM
Devils_son
Instructor

Originally Posted by CWay27
Do as you like my friend but keep in mind that your tin can effect is happening at close to 100MPH (speed of deployment). If your crest is dead center on the airbag, on which side will it gently fold??? The reality is that it doesn't matter cause with this speed of deployment, tin can effect or not, you'll end up with a nice crest in your face.
Not true. I have a similar wheel with this crest. Before adding the crest I have asked a friend of mine who works in the automotive branche and has done a lot of testing with airbags (at TNO, Delft). He told me that the only concern is that the crest may not be attached at a breakline (don't know if this is the correct term) of the airbag. Apart from that there will be no issues.
Old 02-19-2007 | 03:08 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkD
The airbag itself does enough damage to your face... it hurts. a lot. They should make the bags softer
Can hurt your butt as well, if you're young and stupid! http://tinyurl.com/yr8qaw
Old 02-19-2007 | 05:45 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Mwhaaaaaa! So hilarious! Just like Jackass2-had me rolling and deep coughing of laughter......

I can tell you from experience, though not mine, that he probably will be suffering lower back pain as this is the best way to crunch your verterae!!

Quick Reply: FVD Airbag wheel installed - pics inside