Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver Side Door Lock Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 11:19 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Reviving this thread as I’m having the exact same problem while installing my RS panels.

Did anyone find the cause and fix?
Old 10-16-2018, 09:40 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

More pics of the locking cylinder and inside the door: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...fun-stuff.html

Old 09-27-2019, 06:47 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I can turn lock on drivers door and passenger side will lock and unlock however driver side wont lock. If i reach in and turn lock **** locking the door I then can unlock both sides with the key. Alarm doesn't set. Any ideas before I open things up?
Old 09-29-2019, 11:47 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
I can turn lock on drivers door and passenger side will lock and unlock however driver side wont lock. If i reach in and turn lock **** locking the door I then can unlock both sides with the key. Alarm doesn't set. Any ideas before I open things up?

Taking a guess here although being a 91 I believe your car is equipped with a single tang that allows you to unlock the drivers door with a key and no power but will not allow you to lock it. Why Porsche did away with the dual tang on the drivers door and then put it back after a few years I am not sure. This would mean the actuator is not functioning on the drivers side but is on the passenger side. So the micro switch is sensing the motion of the lock but the actuator is not unlocking the door the key is. I am assuming that if you use the key in the passenger side the drivers door will not lock or unlock?

I might have used actuators if you need them.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:55 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Just went out to check lock. If i turn locks for both the passenger and driver doors alarm sets but driver door doesnt lock. If I turn key in drivers door I hear a click/clunks inside the door like something activates but doesnt move lock. if i push driver door lock down and then turn the door key in either door both doors unlock. very strange. Guess time to open it up and see if something came loose.
Old 09-30-2019, 09:01 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^^ sounds like the actuator is either disengaged or broken so the movement you are hearing should be the actuator locking the door but is unable to. You definitely have the single tang locking mechanism Porsche states 2 types with or without antishutout so the key can only unlock the door with the battery disconnected. They switched to this design in 89 with the C4's and switched back to the two tang design in either mid year 91 or 92.

Here is the mechanism. The gray claw like fingers I call tangs. This is the original design they removed one of the fingers in 89 and returned to this design later. I purchased this for my 90 since it has no power anything and I want to be able to lock the doors with the key from the drivers side when in transit.

The part you are looking to fix or reattach is long with black bellows on it.

Best I can do but most likely it is one of these parts that is an issue. # 12 is the actuator i t is possible 9. 10 or 11 have come loose and is causing the issue.
Old 09-30-2019, 12:33 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got the same issue on a 90 C4 so I'm presuming one tang. I can turn the key in the locks and whilst it will move freely 90Deg in each direction it doesn't seem to 'connect' with anything? Yet on the remote key fob for the alarm it locks/unlocks OK
Old 09-30-2019, 01:28 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Looks like I will need to pull the door card off. By the way it was built Sept 9 1990.
thanks for the pictures and your help.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:33 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a thought. What happens if the alarm remote fob goes down and there's still power to the car with the battery connected? How would you open the door? Surely the key must connect with something without/without the actuator?
Old 10-01-2019, 10:14 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Zingari
I've got the same issue on a 90 C4 so I'm presuming one tang. I can turn the key in the locks and whilst it will move freely 90Deg in each direction it doesn't seem to 'connect' with anything? Yet on the remote key fob for the alarm it locks/unlocks OK
That sounds more like an issue with the handle itself. Most likely the silver piece in the pictures above posted by John has broken or come loose.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:23 PM
Pkblu
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having an issue along the same lines that hopefully someone can help with. Replaced the 993 aero door handles (installed by previous owner) on my 1990 C4 to with a pair of the original door handles. After reassembling I am having issues with the driver side. The key spins in both directions without locking or unlocking the driver side door. The interior **** is unable to rotate and lock/unlock the door either. When plugging in the cable from the micro switch the passenger side door lock cycles, but the driver side is unable to. I am unable to move the single tang on the door lock mechanism when attempting by hand, even when disconnecting from the actuator. It seems the mechanism itself it stuck. When trying the central locking switch nothing happened, so put the key in the ignition and the alarm went off ( first time in the 8 years I have owned the car).

Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas?
Old 06-06-2021, 01:18 AM
Pkblu
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pkblu
Having an issue along the same lines that hopefully someone can help with. Replaced the 993 aero door handles (installed by previous owner) on my 1990 C4 to with a pair of the original door handles. After reassembling I am having issues with the driver side. The key spins in both directions without locking or unlocking the driver side door. The interior **** is unable to rotate and lock/unlock the door either. When plugging in the cable from the micro switch the passenger side door lock cycles, but the driver side is unable to. I am unable to move the single tang on the door lock mechanism when attempting by hand, even when disconnecting from the actuator. It seems the mechanism itself it stuck. When trying the central locking switch nothing happened, so put the key in the ignition and the alarm went off ( first time in the 8 years I have owned the car).

Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas?
was able to figure out what was the issue. I had the plastic insert within the door handle assembly installed incorrectly. As a result the micro switch was not operating correctly.

Quick Reply: Driver Side Door Lock Problem