964RS coming to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 11:27 AM
northfire
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by last toy
Tim,
what's with the 15 years. Does that age exempt US cars from Canadian safety requirements or duty?
I believe the age exempts cars from Canadian safety requirements.
Old 01-27-2007, 05:29 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Red rooster
It all depends on what you are going to do with an RS. Track car - very good,

road car -hmm dont bother. On superflat tarmac an RS is a joy. Bring a

poor/average road surface into the equation and you have to back off big time.

Lots of enthusiasm for the RS , hence the price but of no interest to me at all !!!

and yes, I have driven several of them .

Geoff
Everything is relative! Compared with many cars I have owned, the RS is no problem on the road. Yes, you have to back off on bad roads but if you are driving that fast on a public highway, you deserve to put it into the scenery!

However, consider the Ring, which is meant to be the bumpiest circuit there is. The 964RS is perfect for there.

As for daily road use, yes the suspension is firm but my Evo's were firmer as are a whole range of modern cars. Go from a BMW 5 series into an RS and you will lose your fillings - go from a Honda Integra Type R and you will find it rather relaxing!
Old 01-28-2007, 12:10 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Simon,

OK. I am only concerned with road use. I just found that places where my C4 !
would zip along , quite happy , an RS was so nervous and was looking for hedgerows !! Big backoff, not what I wanted from a performance car .
I guess it all comes down to personal choice . All this is just so someone else doesnt just believe that an RS setup is the ultimate for everyone.
Going on track is a whole different situation and then an RS is a very soft Cup car !!
The old expression "each to his own " springs to mind. All the very best with your RS enjoyment .

Geoff
Old 01-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Leica356
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think if you add some pss9's and sticky rubber to the RS you would have the Ultimate 911 (964) for the street.
Old 02-01-2007, 07:29 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 15 year thing is a Canadian vehicle allowance age. If you bring a foreign vehicle into the country less than 15 yrs old you have to get it transport canada modified which primarily means changing the speedo to kmh and odo to km's which has to be done by a certified tech (quite expensive!), and having child safety seat anchors installed in the back seat. Also the airbag system has to be tested. If your imported vehicle is over 15 years old you only have to get it safety inspected and cleared by customs (which means paying 6.2% duty because it comes from Germany and paying 6% GST on everything - including the duty!).

If you are thinking of importing a car into canada check out the registry of import vehicles (riv.ca i think) as it has all the info.

Also, if anyone knows how I can fly down to the US and drive back a car into canada let me know. I was told by both my insurer and the provincial dept of transport that i couldn't.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:00 PM
northfire
Advanced

Originally Posted by Red rooster
an RS was so nervous and was looking for hedgerows !!
Even my RSA takes a little more attention when driving because of the absent power steering, she is a beauty
Old 02-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Thats pretty much what I did when I brought my German market 964 in.
Pretty easy.

Geoff
Old 02-02-2007, 04:59 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

I agree RS's are brilliant.
Unfortunately in the UK they are overpriced now.

For the road, I think you can get better 'driving' value from a 3.2 or earlier which are basic, raw (no power steering, unforgiving suspension) and lighter than 964 on; or a 930/965 (although the 3.6 is now overpriced too) for performance and aggression. Obviously all these can be easily modified on a budget for personal comfort or rawness.

Of course an RS is a now a collector's car and you'd be less free with the mods.

For track, I can't comment.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:16 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by frankvan
The 15 year thing is a Canadian vehicle allowance age. If you bring a foreign vehicle into the country less than 15 yrs old you have to get it transport canada modified which primarily means changing the speedo to kmh and odo to km's which has to be done by a certified tech (quite expensive!), and having child safety seat anchors installed in the back seat. Also the airbag system has to be tested.
The European LHD 964RS is strictly a 2 seater (does not have rear seats and the Recaros block access to the rear), does not have airbags and comes with a Kmh speedo as standard.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:55 PM
964RS
Instructor

Originally Posted by NineMeister
The European LHD 964RS is strictly a 2 seater (does not have rear seats and the Recaros block access to the rear), does not have airbags and comes with a Kmh speedo as standard.
Unless it's a touring version.

/Anders
My 964RS
Old 02-02-2007, 08:43 PM
gfunk
Pro

Originally Posted by frankvan
Also, if anyone knows how I can fly down to the US and drive back a car into canada let me know. I was told by both my insurer and the provincial dept of transport that i couldn't.
You just need some insurance to cover you while driving back from the US. I drove mine up from CA a couple of years back using temporary insurance from ICBC. You may have to check around a little to find temp insurance but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Greg
Old 02-02-2007, 08:50 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

964RS your car is AWESOME!
Old 02-02-2007, 11:26 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Some guy in Montreal got a real RS in the country from day one. Go figure!! Once it passes the 15 year mark, the car doesn't need to be modified. If it came that way then it's OK. Now the big trend is getting Nissan Skylines R32 RHD. Now a days, they come by the boat load.
Old 02-03-2007, 02:20 AM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WRT Skylines - the RHD ones from Japan are a dime a dozen over here now. A friends son however is doing something a little different - he's got the 2.7 turbo I6 from a 15 year old skyline and transplanting it into his newer 240SX (kind of the north american lame version of the skyline). His original 240sx had 155 bhp, he figures conservatively with the new computer, intercooler, etc...that the "new engine" will be at least 300 bhp and still rear wheel drive (and LHD with proper headlights for Canada too).
He might surprise a few of those rhd skylines out there (he's going to try and keep the body stock so it will be "Q" ship of sorts)

Sorry - back to the RS...
Old 02-04-2007, 03:14 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

http://www.trader.ca/powerpage/detai...4&adid=5802782

kirk

Quick Reply: 964RS coming to Canada?