Sponsored by:

964RS coming to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 06:57 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 474 Posts
Default 964RS coming to Canada?

I was just wondering if anyone here in Canada was planning to bring a 964RS into the country now that they are over fifteen years old and can, I believe, be brought into the country. Wouldn't that be cool!
Old 01-26-2007, 09:42 PM
skruggs964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'm going to get lambasted for this....but personally, I don't see what the big deal is about them. I think they are waaay over-hyped and overpriced....
Old 01-26-2007, 10:18 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by skruggs964
I know I'm going to get lambasted for this....but personally, I don't see what the big deal is about them. I think they are waaay over-hyped and overpriced....
964RS = relatively modern car that preserves "driving in its purest form". Some don't care for the bare chested driving of the older cars and clearly newer cars are faster, safer, etc. It would be hard to top the RS for sheer driving pleasure, I bet. Some consider it the ultimate 'Ring car (not too much power to scare yourself to death and lots of feedback for good spirited driving).

I'd love to have a 964 RS for the street to complement my 964 Cup. ~40 lucky owners in the U.S. basically have the equivalent with the Porsche/Andial "USA" Cups.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:33 PM
RS 197
Pro

Over priced and over hyped???

When was the last time you drove one?? Do you even know what makes them special?

Track junkies in Germany call the 964 RS the "drivers" car. I spent a day at the ring and talked to many track junkies that say the 964 RS is the most enjoyable car they have ever driven on the track. The waterboilers are fast and easy to drive but not as much feed back, pleasure or thrill as the 964 RS.

I had a guy ask me why I would ever pay what I did for a 73 RS. It is just an S with flairs and a little more power right???

I invited him over, I explained to him all the unique bits. Then he drove it??

He understood. The 964 RS is very similar.

I will not lambast you, only exstend an offer to come experience for yourself. I bet your opinions would change.
Old 01-26-2007, 10:37 PM
ERH
6th Gear

In December EVO... Fast Fleet 964RS Walter Rohrl "During a lengthy chat, it transpired that he had just bought an RS exactly the same as mine, as a kind of semi-retirement present to himself." "It is great to see him so enthusiastic and animated about a model I'm fortunate enough to own."

I've never drive one (not that anyone would care) but think Mr. Rohrl knows a bit....
Old 01-26-2007, 10:50 PM
northfire
Advanced

Here comes the lambasting Overpriced now but when they were first produced the RSAmericas were $10000 cheaper than a 964 of that year. They now command about $10000 more (The Euro RS Model was more expensive I believe???) I guess the market dictates what a car is worth. It seems everyone wants euro/japanese cars. I think a 15 year old Skylines is overpriced, but people want them and seem to pay top dollar for them.

The RS's are a little more raw than say a 964 Cabrio no back seat, no sunroof, no stereo, no leather, no extra weight (Cabrio 3190lbs, Euro RS 2700lbs, RSA 2950lbs) thats a lot of FAT, no power steering, and definatley no roof leaks

The 964 Cabrio which for its full production from 1990-1994 there were 9395 made for Europe and 5860 made for the USA and Canada. Compared to 2282 Euro RS's and 701 RSAmerica's.

That, in my mind, would be probably account for the price differential. That and the RS is a true "drivers car" a real conection to the road, I am addicted to it.

If you are ever in Van let me know we can go for a rip, then tell me what you think
Old 01-26-2007, 10:57 PM
northfire
Advanced

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
I was just wondering if anyone here in Canada was planning to bring a 964RS into the country now that they are over fifteen years old and can, I believe, be brought into the country. Wouldn't that be cool!
forgot this was what the post was all about.

That would bepretty awesome and I am sure they are going to start rolling onto our shores soon.

Let me know if you hear anything!!!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 11:03 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

By the way, it's the euro RS that i'm refering to. I've watched the prices in the euro "buff" mags(EVO, gt purely porsche, etc) for the past 10 years and they appear to have bottomed out around 2001/2002. I haven't seen any priced under roughly $65000CDN in over a year. I wonder what it would cost to get one on the ground here. I'd LOVE to have one to sit beside my 993C2. By the way northfire, ther are MASSIVE differences between RS/RSA.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:40 AM
northfire
Advanced

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
are MASSIVE differences between RS/RSA.
My knowledge of the Euro version is not that extensive but here is what I do know. The euro cars had no back cubbies (unlike RSA), non-power windows (we have power here because carsh testing costs), thinner glass in the Euro, RSA has a fixed whale tail (Euro has auto one). The Euro RS has 260hp compared to RSA has 247hp.

That is in a nuttshell. I am sure there is more to it like suspension, sway bars etc...

try this link http://www.performance2and4.co.uk/964rs_1_n.htm and http://www.rsamerica.net

there is more info out there just surf around

In my opinion if you can find a RSA for $30-$40000 jump on it. I have never driven a Euro RS but to me the extra $25000 ain't worth it.

I have put a little work into my RSA, Cat bypass, chip, mass air, drilled air box, drilled turbo front rotors, etc.........top end rebuilt is current work and she is probably close to 300hp. And those mods are not worth $25000. But if you must have a Euro RS then you are gonna pay for it.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:14 AM
RS 197
Pro

Originally Posted by northfire
My knowledge of the Euro version is not that extensive but here is what I do know. The euro cars had no back cubbies (unlike RSA), non-power windows (we have power here because carsh testing costs), thinner glass in the Euro, RSA has a fixed whale tail (Euro has auto one). The Euro RS has 260hp compared to RSA has 247hp.

That is in a nuttshell. I am sure there is more to it like suspension, sway bars etc...

try this link http://www.performance2and4.co.uk/964rs_1_n.htm and http://www.rsamerica.net

there is more info out there just surf around

In my opinion if you can find a RSA for $30-$40000 jump on it. I have never driven a Euro RS but to me the extra $25000 ain't worth it.

I have put a little work into my RSA, Cat bypass, chip, mass air, drilled air box, drilled turbo front rotors, etc.........top end rebuilt is current work and she is probably close to 300hp. And those mods are not worth $25000. But if you must have a Euro RS then you are gonna pay for it.
Here is a few things you forgot:
No undercoating/sound proofing.
LWT flyweel.
Alluminum Hood.
No hood shocks.
Race seats.
No A/C
No Airbags= early dash.
Bigger breaks. 944 Turbo I think.
Mag. Wheels.
Gearbox.
Suspesion/springs/swaybars.
300 LB's is a ton of weight. Add that to the short gears and extra HP. ( Dyno usually close to 285) and the car is totally transformed. The sound the LWT Flywheel bouncing off the rev. limiter. The breaks stop on a dime............

I drive an RSA every day in the winter. It is a blast. No comparison however to the RS.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:04 AM
northfire
Advanced

Originally Posted by RS 197
I drive an RSA every day in the winter. It is a blast. No comparison however to the RS.
Coming through Oregon on to Cali in June with about 10 other p-cars, may have to stop by for a quick visit
Old 01-27-2007, 02:07 AM
RS 197
Pro

Originally Posted by northfire
Coming through Oregon on to Cali in June with about 10 other p-cars, may have to stop by for a quick visit
Keep me posted, I am an easy stop off the freeway.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:56 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

By the way northfire, very nice RSA. As far as adding a 964 to my garage alongside the 993, I think it will have to be a normal C2. Hope to see some of you on some drives in the future.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:22 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Tim,
what's with the 15 years. Does that age exempt US cars from Canadian safety requirements or duty?
Old 01-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

It all depends on what you are going to do with an RS. Track car - very good,

road car -hmm dont bother. On superflat tarmac an RS is a joy. Bring a

poor/average road surface into the equation and you have to back off big time.

Lots of enthusiasm for the RS , hence the price but of no interest to me at all !!!

and yes, I have driven several of them .

Geoff

Quick Reply: 964RS coming to Canada?