Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 09:12 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin
It is a catch 22 situation when you track your car
What benefit is there to running a turbo strength pressure plate on a normally aspirated engine? The stock (which is actually the RS) pressure plate will hold a lot more power than a normally aspirated 3.6 will output.

Originally Posted by Kevin
The 965 boys including myself have had to deal with it.
Your pedal "boost" is a little different.

Guess you have to hit the gym and
I admit that Schwarzenegger'esque is a word that will never be used to describe me but
and work those legs..
I do run 30-50 miles a week, bike nearly the same and spend some time on skates with goalie equipment strapped to me so I'm not that out of shape.

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 01-28-2007 at 02:19 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:11 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steven C.
I have this set up on my car and it is very stiff! Ask Greg TR6. Only recomended for occasional use
Yeah, I drove Steve's and it definitely takes more effort to push in the clutch pedal. Your left leg will become far more muscular than your right if you drove it everyday.
Old 01-27-2007, 10:20 PM
TR6
Drifting

Update: I drove the car a couple of times to work this week and spent some time creeping along in stop and go traffic. I even turned on the air conditioning while in traffic to see what it would do. Still hasn't stalled. Worst I've seen it do is dive to 400 rpms before bouncing back up to 800.

However, this morning, I let my wife drive the car for the first time since the new LWF and clutch was installed. Keep in mind, she drives a manual every day (the BMW M Coupe) and learned to drive on a manual, so she's not inexperienced at it. However, right off the bat, she stalled it 3 times in a row trying to back it up. She stalled it a few more times taking off from a standstill. I don't think it was so much the light weight issue as it is that she wasn't expecting it to engage so quickly from the floor when releasing the pedal. But after a few miles, she had it pretty much dialed in. But I still made fun of her.

Last edited by TR6; 01-27-2007 at 11:33 PM.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:23 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great Kevin. Glad it is working and your enjoying it..
Old 01-29-2007, 11:58 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Greg,

Glad it worked for you, let us know if it changes at all during the summer. It's funny how some work out fine and others have problems. I'm putting a LWF into my track car, I'll let you know if it behaves any differently than my street car afterwards.

Do I understand that you took off a gp white 3.8rsr tail? drop me a pm if you think you would like to clear out the garage, I need one for the track car.

regards
Old 03-06-2007, 11:17 PM
freetrog
Advanced

Location: TX - wasn't born here but got here fast as I could...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More impressions of a LWF installation in a 964....

If you're even thinking about it.... DO IT... NOW!

I've had my RSA 10 yrs - thought about doing it 8 yrs ago Shoulda done it then.

Why? The car has a weight lifted from it's shoulders. Quicker out of the hole in 'normal' daily driving, shifting to 2nd is easier, car slows quicker off throttle, better gas mileage (?), and a bunch of other reasons. This is how the car should have been from the factory. Is it faster = yes. Is it fun = oh yeh.

How much faster? I've had the same 4 mile commute for the last 5 years - er, that's about 2000 times, I kinda know the road. With the LWF i've noticed I'm getting on the gas the same as before but now it's trying breaking traction in places where it didn't happen before. Yes, it gets on the power faster. I have a Euro 964RS chip, K&N and g pipe. The engine runs smoother and absolutely no issues of any kind. I'm lovin' it!

Thanks Viperbob!

BTW - next time i might go with the lighter P/Plate - the sport is tough on the ol' knees...
Old 03-07-2007, 09:04 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's some interesting findings here. No one appears to have found any problems by changing to the LWF. This makes me wonder whether the problem only comes when fitting it to a C4?

If this is the case I will definitely go the LWF route when it's time to change the clutch on my C2
Old 03-07-2007, 09:13 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I've also installed a LWF together with a 996 Cup race clutch but I just got a 10 minutes testdrive before the snow came so the car has been in the garage since then. Therefore I haven't posted any info about this yet because I really don't know how it works....but those 10 minutes...I loved it!!
Old 03-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
There's some interesting findings here. No one appears to have found any problems by changing to the LWF. This makes me wonder whether the problem only comes when fitting it to a C4?

If this is the case I will definitely go the LWF route when it's time to change the clutch on my C2
Speaking from my own experience, the problems occur when the ISV is dirty or not functioning properly, car has other issues or the DME needs to be reset. It is still more prone to stalling than the stock set up so buyer be ware.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:47 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Maybe you can help me out.

I purchased a 93 C2 with 47k miles. It has a new clutch installed 2 owners ago and about 10k miles.

The paperwork shows the purchase of a sachs pressure plate amongst other parts for $1100 or so. I am not sure all the paperwork is there and there is no mention of flywheels. The components were installed by someone else. In all around $2500 appears to have been spent.

I am finding the engine revs twice as free as my turbo and only have 2 other 964's I have driven other than turbos and a number of 993's to compare it too. This car appears to rev much easier than the others I have driven. With the way the engine revs it feels like it might have a light weight flywheel. When I release the clutch and allow the rpms to fall it has a tendency to hunt once before settling to idle revs.

Other than dropping the tranny is there a way to tell if this car already has a LWF or is the spring centered pressure plate vs the rubber one making it feel the way it does?
Old 03-07-2007, 12:34 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 212 Posts

Anthony just remove your starter... You will be able to see the Flywheel and seperate starter ring gear to confirm what you have..
Old 03-07-2007, 01:03 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Anthony just remove your starter... You will be able to see the Flywheel and seperate starter ring gear to confirm what you have..

Duh!!

Thanks, should have thought of that myself.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:31 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
If you keep the ISV clean, don't have a faulty hall sensor, have an engine in a decent state of tune and change your driving style slightly you will solve 90% of the issues that induce a stall. If you still experience a stall (a lot of people do) I can send you a replacement eprom that will fix the remaining 10%.

Originally Posted by kevin
Anthony just remove your starter
You don't even need to remove your starter just look into the opening on the other side of the bellhousing where the speed reference sensor is located. Besides being separate the starter ring gear for the LWF is aluminum while the DMF starter ring gear is steel.

Originally Posted by cobalt
Other than dropping the tranny is there a way to tell if this car already has a LWF or is the spring centered pressure plate vs the rubber one making it feel the way it does?
Gary's car that you bought does have a LWF, I sent him a chip to fix the occasional stall but I don't think he ever installed it?
Old 03-07-2007, 01:47 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas

Gary's car that you bought does have a LWF, I sent him a chip to fix the occasional stall but I don't think he ever installed it?

Well I guess that settles it.

I was happy the day I bought it but each day I find out some extra thing done to this car that makes me very happy I grabbed it up. I love the LWF and see no stalling issues and love the way the engine revs. Much more like my 79 with the 3.2 L max moritz engine than my turbo.

So that settles it for me when the turbo needs a new clutch LWF for me.

Thanks for the info again!!!!!
Old 03-07-2007, 06:54 PM
Hildy911
Instructor

nice write up. Thanks. subscribing.

Quick Reply: Impressions of my new RS LWF and clutch: long post