Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Start of interior refresh. Phase 1..

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 08:31 PM
shesminetoo
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Start of interior refresh. Phase 1..

I have embarked on a slow process of just generally refreshing my interior. Thought I'd share some pictures and processes with you guys, and some experience if I happen to gain any!!

As the following shots show, the usuall stuff was beginning to show its age. The car has a full leather interior in Rubicon Grey, which apparently was a special grey featuring on some (most?) of the 30th Anniversary model 964's. Evidently it became a special order on 993's as far as I could establish.

The leather in general is in very good condition with no tears or holes. Just the usuall scuff marks especially since leather is prone to fingernail scratches.

I therefore decided to go the leather dye route as opposed to replacing any panels. Thought I'd try it myself first, keen to see whether it is a DIY and to test longevity. Whilst I do not think it will last as long as original, at least it is a cheap option if you have to re-do it every few years.

Anyway, I managed to get the Rubicon Grey Dye from Dynamix in the UK. No affiliation (I'm in Melbourne Australia). Ryan's service over the internet was fast and efficient and the colour is very accurate. Ryan specializes in Porsche colours. I paid 70pounds for 250ml of the stuff delivered to my doorstep. I decided to do the shift **** fists, as it was in horrible shape and I also ordered a replacement shift **** faceplate. On the anniversary models these were silver in colour but again, as you can see in the photo's, badly corroded from many sweaty palms. I ordered a aluminium replacement and we'll see how it goes.

Anyway, following Ryan's advice, I cleaned the area well with Methylated Spirits. One needs to be carefull with this stuff as it definitely removes the original colouring too. At first I thought it was only dirt, but it left a nice Rubicon grey stain on my rag. So, I suspect one shouldn't work to vigorously with this stuff. I allowed it to dry properly and then applied a first layer of dye. Following the instructions I used a sponge to "paint" it on, taking care not to layer it too thick. The idea I believe is to have many thin layers with ample drying time in between. The instructions suggested 1 hour between layers.

I ended up with three layers, and it seems to me the job is done. Any more would start giving it a "heavy make-up" look, I think. Judge the results for yourself. I am very happy with the outcome and if indeed it lasts a good length of time, I will be ecstatic.

The next project will be the seat bolsters and the door posts. As soon as that is done I'll post pics.
Attached Images       
Old 01-06-2007, 09:31 PM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice leather console...
Old 01-07-2007, 03:09 AM
shesminetoo
Advanced

Default ...and start of phase 2

First attempt at driver seat. I pretty much used the same procedure. One thing I can say for sure now. You have to do the entire seat face. I was hoping to get away with just a bolster, but even the slightest difference in colour becomes quite obvious. So I ended up doing the entire seat face. See before and after shots. This time required 4 layers very thinly applied. However, I might do another layer just for added thickness. I'm quite happy with the result. Took quite a time to do but wasn't hard. Now to see how durable it will be.....
Attached Images      
Old 01-07-2007, 07:14 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

That looks 100x better, nice job!

BTW, how difficult is the shift emblem to remove from the gear lever? I was thinking about a replacement on my turbo.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:04 PM
shesminetoo
Advanced

Megatron,

Thanks, I must admit, one feels so much better about the car once this is done. Whilst I still have a lot to do before the interior is finished, I can kick myself for not having done this sooner. It is actually quite easy and not that costly at all, considering the difference it makes.

The shift emblem just lifts out. It is glued in with a silicon/rubbery type glue and came out very easily. I just used my fingernails to pry it out.

Reg's
Old 01-07-2007, 07:10 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job!!! Looking good.
My seats are still in great shape, but nice to know I can bring them back when I need to.
EDIT: Where did you get the shift **** insert?
Old 01-07-2007, 09:02 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Nice car. Love those widebodies.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:27 PM
MassGuy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great job Frans...I hope you get a couple of years of service from the job!
Old 01-08-2007, 01:25 AM
shesminetoo
Advanced

Wsybert, I ordered it off ebay. The company is in the UK and cost is about 18 pounds. They have continuous add running. It's machined form solid Aluminium and is really well made. I had to trim a bit off the bottom to get it to seat like the old one. (hacksaw ) Search for Prestige Parts, thats the company.

Thanks Chris and Brian!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:48 AM
robmug
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Frans - are you finishing with a mat lacquer over the colour?
Old 01-08-2007, 09:20 AM
Lew964
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much of the 250ml do you have left over or have you used it all? Your work looks great.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:10 PM
shesminetoo
Advanced

Rob, I am not finishing with a mat lacquer. Should I? It wasn't mentioned in the instructions so I'm presuming its not required.

Lew 964, I've done the gear **** and one seat face (driver) and I have used about one third. A little goes a long way.

Cheers,
Old 01-08-2007, 07:40 PM
wf758
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice!
Old 01-08-2007, 08:03 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Frans, nice job!

I did the same thing about a year ago(?) to mine with a light grey interior. Night and day difference in how I felt about the car before/after. Just so much nicer to sit in now I even used the same product to recolor a set of rear seats from black to light grey! Incredible stuff.
I used a different mfg pruduct here in the states.
I followed their process (similar to yours). There wasn't anything about a mat lacquer finish either. I don't think the leather would do well with any sort of lacquer on it.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:20 PM
shesminetoo
Advanced

Mark, Good to hear you've also gone down this path. How does it hold up? Is there any significant wear after a year of use?

I have been thinking more about this job and decided that I'm going to use a sponge roller for the next seat. With the first seat I just wiped it on with a sponge and dabbed it to get rid of the smear marks. It worked well, but I found it to be blotchy up until the last two layers. I suspect that I will use more product with a roller, but hopefully get a more consistent coverage, especially in the larger areas. Another suggestion for people planning on attempting this, work in very good light, preferrably sunlight. When I did this it was overcast and yesterday in broad sunlight I spotted a few tiny areas where I have missed, particularly in the creases and right next to the piping. It is not obvious until you view it in harsh light. That's when the slight colour difference shows up. So, it seems another layer will be required.

Regards

Quick Reply: Start of interior refresh. Phase 1..