Sponsored by:

Racecar Project - New Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 11:25 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Racecar Project - New Sensors

Merry Christmas to you all, I hope everyone is able to spend time with family and friends, I know I will.

Next Saturday I pick up my new 92 C2 Coupe...Oh, but that's a different subject. This week I finally got back to my race car and removed the engine and transmission to look at the clutch since the Tilton multiplate product is new to me and I want to ensure its longevity. I also need to adjust the valves, change the engine mounted oil filter, and do a leakdown test on the engine. In the process, I ordered some additional sensors for the car, which I'll install in the next month.

String potentiometer - This sensor will be mounted in the driver's footwell and attached to the steering column. This will allow me to log the Driver's steering input which then can be coorelated to lat-G force as well having the channel differentaited to get steering acceleration which can be used to see how agressive the steering wheel is moved. It can also be used for a number of additional analysis functions.

Gyroscope - The gyro will show the yaw speed of the car. You can use a MoTeC math channel to integrate the channel and obtain the yaw angle which will show the angle of the corner, and you can differentiate it to get the yaw acceleration rate.

Infrared Tire Temp - Ultimately I am going to install 3 IR tire temp sensors per wheel to see tire temps in transient on the track which will help determine the vehicle setup. For now, I am going to install a single IR Tire Temp sensor in the chassis to log the track temperature which I can then correlate to the manually measured tire temps and pressures

Linear Potentiometer - I have 4 linear potentiometers which I will install on each shock. This allows me to produce shock speed histograms which can then be used to properly set up the adjustable shocks I have. From the 4 sensors, I can get over 60 pieces of information about the vehicle relating to forces, roll, pitch, aerodynamic, etc.

enjoy.

PS. The second Total 911 article is out.

Old 12-24-2006, 03:39 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool. I do believe in logging as much as possible because it gives you the data you need to improve. My brother has learnt so much but what he has found most useful is comparing his data against others. 3 or 4 who race in the same class share data and between them, they have improved their times considerably. At one sprint event this year, 3 of them were under the previous record.

BTW, Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-24-2006, 11:49 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Cool Geoffrey. What's the incoming '92 for?
Old 12-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

US version of the 9M + MoTeC conversion project
Old 12-26-2006, 10:06 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I'll translate: official line is for wife to use for work and shopping, whereas unofficial line is to have more fun with Motec.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

That about sums it up.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:43 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I just finished reading the first installment of your race car project in Total911 (Ya I know I am about a month behind everyone else!)

Of course I already know all the details from your posts on here, but it was still interesting to see the picture of you. Somehow it seemed strange to actually attach a face to 'geoffrey'

Kirk
Old 01-03-2007, 10:29 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Here is the first installment of the new sensor installation. I decided to place the IR Temp sensor in the front trunk near the air jack. I started to work on the steering angle sensor but need to think through a couple of options and will probably install it tomorrow.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

I finished installing the steering position sensor in the car tonight. I drilled and tapped a M3 hole in the steering column and attached the string potentiometer directly to it. Then I mounted the sensor on the front firewall and ran the wiring up to the dash connector.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:06 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think when I retire, I would just buy myself a home next to Geoffrey in NY and be a really great neighbor who often asks for help
Old 01-04-2007, 10:58 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I want the house on the other side...
Old 01-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

You're both in luck. There are two houses for sale in my small neighborhood.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:51 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
You're both in luck. There are two houses for sale in my small neighborhood.
Hope they aren't moving away due to the noisy neigbour who keeps playing with his cars
Old 01-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

No, they're all in Florida this time of year...I'm about the only one that still works in my neighborhood.
Old 01-07-2007, 08:54 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

When I initially installed my g-force sensor I mounted it on the transmission tunnel with a piece of rubber between it and the tunnel and then bolted it down. I have been noticing the reading from the sensor is noisy. I can filter it down with the MoTeC software, but I'd like to find a better way. So, while I was installing the gyroscope I took the time to put both in a small project box with foam to insulate them from vibration. The solid transmission mount is directly below the two, so I'm hoping this will help some.

Quick Reply: Racecar Project - New Sensors