Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone near Burbank, CA? Need your help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 03:47 PM
girlracer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Anyone near Burbank, CA? Need your help!

Hi guys,

I'm extremely interested in this car:

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/in...nalm&cardist=0

It's in Burbank, CA. I just spoke to the dealer and they got it as trade-in. It's a one owner car, owned by a 60 year old company VP who apparently took excellent care of it from new. They claim it comes with a huge history file. It's the exact color/spec I want and from the photos it looks very, very clean. I am in Texas though, so can't go and see it for myself soon enough.

Can any of my fellow 964ers go and check it out for me in the meantime? Or can anyone recommend someone for a full PPI in the Burbank area? Should I just call the local Porsche dealer to fo the PPI?

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2006, 06:13 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

looks nice in the pictures. Thats a great price if it checks out. Good luck
Old 12-11-2006, 06:55 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Originally Posted by girlracer
Hi guys,

I'm extremely interested in this car:

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/in...nalm&cardist=0

It's in Burbank, CA. I just spoke to the dealer and they got it as trade-in. It's a one owner car, owned by a 60 year old company VP who apparently took excellent care of it from new. They claim it comes with a huge history file. It's the exact color/spec I want and from the photos it looks very, very clean. I am in Texas though, so can't go and see it for myself soon enough.

Can any of my fellow 964ers go and check it out for me in the meantime? Or can anyone recommend someone for a full PPI in the Burbank area? Should I just call the local Porsche dealer to fo the PPI?

Thanks!
I'm in Pasadena, so not far away, but I don't feel I have enough experience to be able to do anything more than look at it and compare with my own, which is a '91 coupe. From the photos it looks excellent. I'm surprised by the price: I would have expected a dealer to ask at least $3k more than the quoted price. Did you take a look at the Carfax report ... did that show anything odd?
Old 12-11-2006, 06:57 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it checks out are you going to buy it ?
We could do a deal .
Old 12-11-2006, 07:15 PM
girlracer
Intermediate

Carfax is totally clean. I have emailed TREMotorsports about PPI-ing it for me, they are just down the road. If it checks out I will buy it, yup - well, providing it is still there by the 20th. I can't get to my escrow funds from my 987S sale until the 20th and the dealer said they would NOT hold the car for a deposit. Probably just trying to put a fire under me... Fingers crossed I get it but if not, there will be others.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

If you want it checked out by an owner and or driven to tx , let me know .
Old 12-11-2006, 08:09 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I can recommend an outstanding high-end car shipper who does enclosed shipping for a reasonable price, if your deal goes through.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Nice looking car and nice price if it checks out. Good luck with the PPI.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:43 AM
pete000
Three Wheelin'

Looks like a good deal...I recomend a true PPI
Old 12-12-2006, 12:18 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Whats a true ppi ?
Old 12-12-2006, 12:37 PM
greenjt
Racer

Indy - I think that's where they actually look over the car instead of just taking your money ;-)
Old 12-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

How would you know what the person doing the ppi will do before hand ?
I took mine to the MB / Porsche dealer in honolulu , they took the money and did a very poor ppi .
Old 12-12-2006, 02:20 PM
greenjt
Racer

I bought my car long distance and had the PPI done at a recommended independent. I indicated what i wanted done before we agreed on price for the service. To this day i still wonder whether or not our agreed list of actions was complete. It could be the cynic in me but the leak-down numbers and compression just seemed tooo darn good to be true and there were some minor things that were missed that should have been rather obvious. I did get a written report and used it to work the price down a bit.

On some level you have to trust them but also know that they know they are unlikely to ever see you or your car again... and therein lies the rub.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:30 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by greenjt
I bought my car long distance and had the PPI done at a recommended independent. I indicated what i wanted done before we agreed on price for the service. To this day i still wonder whether or not our agreed list of actions was complete. It could be the cynic in me but the leak-down numbers and compression just seemed tooo darn good to be true and there were some minor things that were missed that should have been rather obvious. I did get a written report and used it to work the price down a bit.

On some level you have to trust them but also know that they know they are unlikely to ever see you or your car again... and therein lies the rub.
...and if the seller happens to be a customer, they run the risk of losing him if they deliver a "warts-and-all" report. Little to win and maybe lots to potentially lose for them.
Old 12-12-2006, 02:35 PM
jjbunn
Racer

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
...and if the seller happens to be a customer, they run the risk of losing him if they deliver a "warts-and-all" report. Little to win and maybe lots to potentially lose for them.
Didn't have a PPI done on mine. Don't regret it. Maybe I was lucky. I've read so much about PPIs not being done properly that they are almost as big a crap shoot as buying the car itself!

Not sure why they are so strongly advocated, unless it's by those who have paid so much for them they need to justify the expense.

Quick Reply: Anyone near Burbank, CA? Need your help!