Sponsored by:

Intermittent christmas tree effect problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 05:11 AM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intermittent christmas tree effect problem

I thought my problems went away with a distributor cap change and wire boot replacements. But here is my new chronic problem:
Starting the car, I get an arcing sound over the stereo system that follows the engine rev level. Sometimes, the warning light for the cabrio top goes on (even when opened or closed). Other times, all warning lights come on with the buzzer occasionally but also disappears as I drive on.
What I've done so far:
Replaced distributor caps and rotors.
Replaced one bad ignition wire boot that was sparking. (no more sparks)
Recharged battery. Holding charge.
Checked all plugs are fully inserted.
Checked for bad ignition wires (none)

Tomorrow I'll check for the ignition switch plugs under the dash. It seems very random and comes on with or without lights, stereo, low and high speed driving. Belts are fine and there's no stalling or hesitation.
Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
PS I did a search and found the x'mas tree effect but many were tied in to hesitation and stalling, whereas mine doesn't.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:24 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Follow up. Ignition switches are fine. I guess it's time to go to a real mechanic.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Could be the alt going south . If you pull the alt belt off does the arcing sound over the stereo system go away ?
Old 10-22-2006, 08:32 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"Could be the alt going south" - Indycam -

Most likely the problem, i.e. bad regulator (overcharging), or worn brushes/slip rings
(undercharging).

Less likely possibility is the ignition system, i.e. coils, plug wires, connectors, spark plugs, & etc.
The wires & connectors need to be checked for resistance values. Oil on the ignition wires
near the bottom plug areas are problematic.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Christmas Tree...

have you tried changing the ignition coils? I systematically changed almost everything on my 90 C2 beginning with the hall effect sensor in the distributor, ignition wires, caps and rotors. We even checked resistance of all the ignition related wiring but the problem never went away until I changed the ignition coils. We could only surmise that there was high voltage leakage to the primary side of the coil causing the ECU to fault.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Well I spoke too soon. The stalling started today...just for awhile but it did. Had me a bit worried since I was 40 miles from home and didn't relish calling AAA and the wife for a pickup.
I guess it's some part of the ignition system. I noticed sparks from the plug boot on the dist cap. I'll switch out the plug boot tomorrow and see if it helps. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:46 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I thought about it last night and I was going to suggest that you shut down one of the two distributors and see if the noise went away and then try the other way round , but it looks like ya already found it .
Old 10-23-2006, 02:37 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Well the thing is that when all this stuff started, I checked and there was no arcing. Just goofy lights going on and off. Then it got progressively worse to the stalling. Now it runs perfectly and I didn't do anything yet! I'm not sure it is just the sparking distributor plug. I may be in for a new alternator or battery. I'll put the voltimeter to the battery and see. Sigh... temperamental cars these 964.

Quick Reply: Intermittent christmas tree effect problem