Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so much hostility to 911 owners on Rennlist?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 01:21 AM
Boston Blazer
HaHa
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why so much hostility to 911 owners on Rennlist?

I tend to surf around Rennlist to check out the other models and some of the off topic stuff. It appears the the 911 owners are stereotyped as arogant a-holes. Can anyone explain this to me? I work my butt off and was able to buy a car I dreamed about since I was 6. I earned it. I'm not a trust baby and it wasn't part of an inheritance. The 944 & 928 owners seem to trash us at will; I like all the models and find this to be annoying and juvenile. Maybe they are trying to get a rise out of us. The 911 owners that reply to such rants are typically very pleasant and don't take the bait. I've only been here a few months so maybe I'm missing something...
I thought we were all Porsche owners, WTF?
Pat
Old 10-08-2006, 02:05 AM
skruggs964
Pro

I'm assuming that when you say 911 owners...you mean owners of 911's, 964's, 993's, 996's...etc?

Yeah.....when I was looking to buy one a few years ago, I came across a few pompous a-holes. They assumed because I looked fairly young, and was driving an older North American econo-box, I couldn't afford such a car. Little did they know, I had the cash sitting in my account ready for my purchase. My econo-box was and still is my winter beater.

This one guy wouldn't even let me take his '88 911 Coupe around the block for a test drive. I felt like waiving the $30 grand he was asking in his face and telling him he just blew a possible sale.

As it turned out...a year later, I got the Cabriolet I really wanted....I probably wouldn't have been happy with the coupe anyway.

Last edited by skruggs964; 10-08-2006 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:47 AM
Bill Wagner
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you know what the difference between a Porsche and a Porcupine is? The Porcupine has it's ****** on the outside.

In all honesty, any time you come across "prestige" cars, they will always attract a few members of the "Babs and Farnsworth" crowd. I know of one mechanic that detests Porsches because he's come across some owners that were so arrogant they just rubbed him the wrong way. I guess the arrogant types, regardless of how few there are, leave a lasting impression on people and tarnish the image of things they associate themselves with.

I don't think any of these types of people will be found on this site, FWIW.

Last edited by Bill Wagner; 10-08-2006 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-08-2006, 03:06 AM
Boston Blazer
HaHa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skruggs964
I'm assuming that when you say 911 owners...you mean owners of 911's, 964's, 993's, 996's...etc?
Yes, I'm referring to all 911s.

I can understand people who detest us for the cars we drive if they are driving a POS. ( My DD is a '96 Civic BTW - a real beater, but it runs like a top). I am just confused by the 944 & 928 members on this site. They like to throw out jabs at anytime towards 911s.
Pat
Old 10-08-2006, 03:26 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Patrick
I am just confused by the 944 & 928 members on this site. They like to throw out jabs at anytime towards 911s.
Pat
Maybe there's a clue in the fact that many of those guys are so incredibly sensitive if you should do the same thing to them...

Last edited by John Boggiano; 10-08-2006 at 04:01 AM.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:50 AM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny, when I use to own a 951, most water pumpers I hung out with at Willow Springs felt like the 911 guys were nose-in-the-air types and belittling of us water pumpers. I thought it would all change once the new generation waterpumpers came of age.
Old 10-08-2006, 04:25 AM
CraigyB

Rennlist Member

A couple of my mates drive TVRs, and in amongst that crowd are the same kind of folks who like to dig at 911s. Personally I love TVRs, 'for what they are', simple as that. I don't really care what other folks think. In fact there are many cars that like. I think the problem for some smaller minded people is that they can't separate the idea of the car as a status symbol, and the car as a pure and simple toy/hobby/something to have fun in regardless. Rise above it I say
Old 10-08-2006, 09:19 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 49 Posts

it really isnt the car they own, its the person.

i compete in a supersprint and motokhana series in australia which has all models ranging from 914s, 911t, 3.2s, 993 996s, turbos, gt3s, 944s 928, really the whole range, anyway the series has just finished and i came first overall, our club captain(gt3 owner) came out and said that the series should really only be late model expensive porsches, boxters, 996, 997 gt3 and so on. whats with that.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:44 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't noticed this sentiment in Off Topic.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:47 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

People are people not matter how you slice it. Age, race, religion, car, etc.
You will always get a cross section of the good and bad social behaviors.

Even within "the 911 crowd". I've seen some that look down upon the previous model 911 regardless of which one they happen to own.
I'd guess that they would do the same if they owned the next model series... know what I mean?
Just people. Some are jerks. Whatya gonna do? I just avoid them.
Old 10-08-2006, 01:08 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

911 folks bad mouth each others models just as much like school children! Its not just a water/oil pumper thing. Thats life
Old 10-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Most waterpumpers get ignored by 911's when they flash or wave, that's 80% of it.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jimq
911 folks bad mouth each others models just as much like school children! Its not just a water/oil pumper thing. Thats life
Very true - there seems to be a common misconception that most of us here only purchased a 964 as we could not afford the next generation car despite the fact I deliberately selected the 964 for it's classic looks combined with a more modern HVAC and suspension.

Marc
Old 10-08-2006, 03:04 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
Very true - there seems to be a common misconception that most of us here only purchased a 964 as we could not afford the next generation car despite the fact I deliberately selected the 964 for it's classic looks combined with a more modern HVAC and suspension.

Marc
+1

and... when I convince my wife, I will eventually have a 993... likely a coupe. Just have to make the case for 5 cars in the family. Not an easy one.
Old 10-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
...there seems to be a common misconception that most of us here only purchased a 964 as we could not afford the next generation car ...
That's not entirely unfounded. I know so much more (mostly through Rennlist ) than I did before I made my purchase. Mostly what I was going on was the old adage about "buy the best one you can afford" - and this was the best one I could afford without selling off other toys. One guy tried really hard to convince me to buy his 993, telling me they were "sooo much better than 964's", and I might have done it if I could have come up with the money. But knowing what I know now, I'm glad I got the 964 - I think it's the best blend of old and new.

Isn't the 997 guy driving the best thing HE can afford? That's all I'm doing. Why that would evoke any kind of derision from anyone is beyond me, it's just really juvenile. Not sure about the feelings of folks who own the other P-car models. Maybe Porsche created such an icon with the 911 that it has become not only the hallmark sports car, but also the lightning rod for anything negative associated with that.

Most of the attitudes I've run into around Porsches has been with the 'nouveau riche' types - guys who know nothing about the history and just wanted a high-dollar hot rod. Unfortunately they do us all a disservice; I had one body shop guy tell me, "Line up all the expensive sports cars you want in a parking garage - Ferrari's, Maserati's, whatever - and the Porsche will be the one that gets keyed, every time." Go figure.

Ok, I'm done.

Quick Reply: Why so much hostility to 911 owners on Rennlist?