Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so much hostility to 911 owners on Rennlist?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 12:29 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
Hefeweizen und ein gekochtes Ei , Ja !
Interesting combination!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:52 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned 3 Porsches and loved them all. 951, 928S, 993. No room for attitude here.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by jim 7
Not trying to start a war or anything. I drive a 944 and give thumbs up to all cars of the marque and 944 drivers always return a wave, most often with gusto, the same cannot be said for drivers of other models who rarely acknowledge let alone return the greeting.
That is completely true. Consider my 1995 Honda Shadow ACE 1100 motorcycle. Everyone waves, including the Harleys guys and girls. Also, people who drive Jeeps all wave at each other too (I'm not talking about the Grand Cherokees; I mean the real Jeeps - the ones with the soft top and removable doors).

So I think each car owner has it's own signature. But I agree and can't believe that when I pass a Carrera that is 10 years newer, I don't at least get a side-glance from them...
Old 10-18-2006, 04:14 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Most P-car owners appear arrogant for the following reasons:

1.) P-car is associated with money. You generally need money to be able to buy [a new] one. The same holds true for any expensive automobile.

2.) P-car is associated with people who love their cars. This can easily be interpreted as having your priorities out of whack. The Honda Civic owner is less likely to spend more time kissing, loving, or otherwise spending money on his or her car than spending it with the kids or the spouse.

3.) P-car owners are more like race car drivers than regular car. People don’t like racers, especially when they are tearing up the same street that their kids are playing in.

4.) P-car owners have great attention to detail. People who have great attention to detail tend to have less tolerance and patience for the average. That can usually be detected in one’s personality.

5.) Some P-car owners only buy the P-car as a status symbol.

So, there you have it. No more guessing why there is a stereotype. Some of us will just have to deal with it. I just tell people that I bought an old German sports car for ½ of what a new Honda Accord costs. I mention Porsche only if I have to.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:57 PM
jlr
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't get the attitude. I love all Porsches. I'm a 911 guy now, but I wanted a 944 Turbo when I was high school more than any other car. Love the new 911s and Boxsters too. I wave and flash (my lights...) at all of them. Now I'm a bit more snobbish when it comes to other cars. Drove an 04 ZO6 this weekend, and my VW R32 felt much more soulful on return. I really don't like Vettes. I wish I did...cheap performance is nice.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the very best car in the world , so if your not driving my car and how could you be if I'm driving it , I'm going to not even see you !

Quick Reply: Why so much hostility to 911 owners on Rennlist?