Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guide to fitting front component speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 12:54 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Gr8 avatar pic Laster ..... You owe us some more in the random pic thread, especially with that all that gleaming 'stockness' ... Looks mint!
Old 07-11-2014, 04:56 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for the picture HiWind, I will have to try that.
Laster - good idea re the cutting board. :-)
Old 07-11-2014, 03:23 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

And a little varnish will keep the mdf safe ... Preferable to plastic I think
Unless your doors leaky
Old 03-29-2022, 12:07 PM
Alexd912
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure if this thread is still active, but I will give it a try.

I have seen in this thread as well as others that people mention fitting speakers in to the metal door skin and using the existing holes.

What are these holes that are being referred to? Are they 4 holes that you can use to attach the speaker or some adapter to?

For me I have looked and looked and I have no visible screw holes that I could see be used for securing a speaker.

I have a 91 C2.

Hope someone can shed some light in this.

Cheers

Alex

Old 03-30-2022, 05:30 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Hi Alex,

It was a few years ago and I still haven't got round to taking the speakers out. The car is in the shop but I seem to recall that the speakers screwed into the metal door and not onto the door card if that helps. Do you have a photo of your door without the skin on?

Cheers,

David
Old 03-30-2022, 02:38 PM
Alexd912
Racer

Originally Posted by Caveman
Hi Alex,

It was a few years ago and I still haven't got round to taking the speakers out. The car is in the shop but I seem to recall that the speakers screwed into the metal door and not onto the door card if that helps. Do you have a photo of your door without the skin on?

Cheers,

David

Attached is a picture of the speaker hole.

I have run my hands inside the hole and I can not find anything.

I know I could just drill holes in the door, but I really do not want to do that.

Thanks for any help
Alex

Old 03-31-2022, 05:27 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Well that deffo has not got any holes drilled and looks to have its rolled edge so it has not been opened up. I suspect you will need to drill and rust treat to suit. Try putting some dynamat on the outer door (inside!) which will help.

Cheers,

David
Old 03-31-2022, 08:07 PM
3DE
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 4 "factory holes" are on my '90 C2 are only visible with the vapor barrier removed. They are not directly across from each other and are also not spaced 90 degrees from each other. What this means is a speaker could not be directly mounted to the metal without an adapter ring. The inner diameter of the speaker hole is rolled behind the door skin and partially blocks the back side of these potential mounting holes. To me, they do not seem suitable for mounting holes on their own.

Old 04-01-2022, 05:30 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

You could get self-tappers in there? You won't be putting a huge heavy speaker as it is quite slim from memory.
Old 04-04-2022, 02:08 PM
Alexd912
Racer

Originally Posted by Caveman
You could get self-tappers in there? You won't be putting a huge heavy speaker as it is quite slim from memory.
Hey,

Prettty sure I dont have those in my doors, but non the less I knocked up a wooden ring that I put inside the door.

Basically I cut a piece of wood larger that the hole and cut that in half so I could feed it throguh the hole. IN the wood I added some thread inserts that I had left over from another project so I could screw the speaker to that and clamp the speaker to the door frame.

I hot glued the wood in place so I could screw the speaker.

Not a neet job but seems to work:

Measured out the wood diameter around 2cm larger around the hole in the door and cut the center where the speaker would sit.

Cut it in half and cut out some wood to clear some wires that were in the drivers door. The setup was different in the passenger side so no need to cut the slot out.

Drilled and fitted the fasters where the speaker mounts are.

Checked it all fitted.

Hot glued the 2 halfs in place

Tested it all still fitted.

Got some very soft packing foam I had and cut a hole in it for the speaker and a slot in the foam withiin the hole to fit the speaker in to it so the speaker was sanwhiched within the foam. Not sure why I did it like this, but I wanted a tight fit with no gaps between the speaker, the door and the panel.
I should have cut a slot in the wood for the wires as the fit was very tight.

Put the door panel back.

It seems to wok and no extra holes drilled

If i was to do it again I would have made a slot for the speaker wires.

Not a professional way of doing and I will priobably have people saying I shuold have not done it this way

Anyhow this is what I did.

Cheers
Alex

Quick Reply: Guide to fitting front component speakers