Unknown plastic part found in the passenger door

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 01:54 AM
Alexd912
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Unknown plastic part found in the passenger door

Hey,

I have the passenger door panel off and during that time I found this U shaped plastic part and a couple of fragments of what looked like the same material in the bottom of the door.

Any idea what it is and is it important? Or is it even an original part at all?

Cheers
Alex

Old 03-24-2022, 04:58 AM
spooky69
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

It looks like part of the door check strap mechanism? Check it is all intact - if it isn't then it can cause issues with the inner skin.

The following users liked this post:
cbracerx (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 05:14 AM
Alexd912
Racer

Originally Posted by spooky69
It looks like part of the door check strap mechanism? Check it is all intact - if it isn't then it can cause issues with the inner skin.

Looks suspiciously like the part.

I will stick a camera down there and see if its there.

When looking at the picture it looks like this is not going to be a spare part and if not I can 3D print a new one?

Cheers for the observation and so very much appreciated.

Alex

Old 03-24-2022, 06:03 AM
spooky69
Racer

Originally Posted by Alexd912
Looks suspiciously like the part.

I will stick a camera down there and see if its there.

When looking at the picture it looks like this is not going to be a spare part and if not I can 3D print a new one?

Cheers for the observation and so very much appreciated.

Alex
I'm fairly certain you'd need to buy the check strap mechanism. I've no idea what the material is and if you can 3D print it. The mechanism can be taken apart so if you could make a replacement then it should be possible to fit it.

I'd take a very close look at the inner door skin - they often get damaged and there are reinforcement kits available. It's best to catch this early if you can.
Old 03-24-2022, 06:51 AM
Alexd912
Racer

I'm fairly certain you'd need to buy the check strap mechanism. I've no idea what the material is and if you can 3D print it. The mechanism can be taken apart so if you could make a replacement then it should be possible to fit it.

I'd take a very close look at the inner door skin - they often get damaged and there are reinforcement kits available. It's best to catch this early if you can.

Thanks for this and glad I posted a picture of it.
I'll stick my endoscope down there and have a pock around today and post some pictures.

Cheers again.

Alex
Old 03-24-2022, 10:02 AM
Alexd912
Racer

Thanks for this and glad I posted a picture of it.
I'll stick my endoscope down there and have a pock around today and post some pictures.

Cheers again.

Alex
So got a picture of it and you are right it looks like that piece has broken off..

is it one of those parts I wonder that could be printed, or is that part a little flexible in nature?

The metal does not seem to be broken when looking at it, but I wonder if its good to replace as preventative maintenance..

Cheers

Alex
Old 03-24-2022, 10:23 AM
spooky69
Racer

So got a picture of it and you are right it looks like that piece has broken off..

is it one of those parts I wonder that could be printed, or is that part a little flexible in nature?

The metal does not seem to be broken when looking at it, but I wonder if its good to replace as preventative maintenance..

Cheers

Alex
That part looks fine. I’d try to have a look from the other side as well to see if there is any damage. There is a reinforcement kit you can buy. I think it might be worthwhile installing as a preventative measure. It doesn’t replace that part, which is spot welded on if I remember correctly, but instead simply goes on each side of the inner skin.

I’ve no idea what the material is for that part. Someone else on here might have an idea. I might be tempted just to replace the entire part anyway. Others might like to comment about whether any of this is actually necessary or not.

Last edited by spooky69; 03-24-2022 at 10:24 AM.
Old 03-24-2022, 11:51 AM
Alexd912
Racer

That part looks fine. I’d try to have a look from the other side as well to see if there is any damage. There is a reinforcement kit you can buy. I think it might be worthwhile installing as a preventative measure. It doesn’t replace that part, which is spot welded on if I remember correctly, but instead simply goes on each side of the inner skin.

I’ve no idea what the material is for that part. Someone else on here might have an idea. I might be tempted just to replace the entire part anyway. Others might like to comment about whether any of this is actually necessary or not.
Well the kit is not bad price from here and way cheaper than other places https://www.rosepassion.com/en/parts...385?r=l153yhv0

and the other part is not bad either, so maybe just replace that at the same time unless someone has a comment about 3D printing:
https://www.rosepassion.com/en/parts...-316-537-45299

I will check the other door and maybe put the same kit there, then its peace of mind after that, but I will check the other side and see if I can get a picture from there.

Big thanks for your help its very appreciated and learning more all the time.. Only had the car for 2 months and still have not driven it... Bloody Finish weather LOL

Alex
Old 03-24-2022, 07:28 PM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 130 Posts

Since you have the broken piece and you have some experience with 3D printing, why not give it a shot? You have nothing to lose but the time to print and install it.
Try flexing the broken piece and test it for hardness by pushing in on it with a screwdriver and then select a filament with similar properties.

On an aside, a guy in my town needed a rubber suspension bushing for his Fiat and the dealer had to order it in. He needed the car so he printed a bushing out of TPU just to get him by for a few days.
After the bushing arrived, he decided he would wait to see how long the TPU part would last. Its been two years on his daily driver and so far so good.
The following 2 users liked this post by No_snivelling:
cbracerx (03-24-2022), spooky69 (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 08:16 PM
spooky69
Racer

Well the kit is not bad price from here and way cheaper than other places https://www.rosepassion.com/en/parts...385?r=l153yhv0

and the other part is not bad either, so maybe just replace that at the same time unless someone has a comment about 3D printing:
https://www.rosepassion.com/en/parts...-316-537-45299

I will check the other door and maybe put the same kit there, then its peace of mind after that, but I will check the other side and see if I can get a picture from there.

Big thanks for your help its very appreciated and learning more all the time.. Only had the car for 2 months and still have not driven it... Bloody Finish weather LOL

Alex
Glad to be able to help.
Old 03-25-2022, 02:06 AM
Alexd912
Racer

Originally Posted by No_snivelling
Since you have the broken piece and you have some experience with 3D printing, why not give it a shot? You have nothing to lose but the time to print and install it.
Try flexing the broken piece and test it for hardness by pushing in on it with a screwdriver and then select a filament with similar properties.

On an aside, a guy in my town needed a rubber suspension bushing for his Fiat and the dealer had to order it in. He needed the car so he printed a bushing out of TPU just to get him by for a few days.
After the bushing arrived, he decided he would wait to see how long the TPU part would last. Its been two years on his daily driver and so far so good.
Hey,

Thanks for your comments which are very appreciated and to everyone else for their support.

PLA filament I have but not TPU, but its cheaper to buy a reel of that to try then the new part and then I can build more things
I had one of the lugs broken of the front spot light and just made a new piece for that and used araldite to glue it... Worked perfectly and saved nearly 500 Eur for a new one.
Have to say I like 3D printers for those little odd fixes. One guy has made the plans to make those side pocket reinforcement parts for the 964, so I will print a couple of those out at some point.

Cheers again.

Alex

Old 03-25-2022, 02:08 AM
Alexd912
Racer

Glad to be able to help.
Well it always amazes me every time the support you get from forums like this, and for sure it saves time and money as people have been through the same issues and looking for ways to fix things economically.
Its already saved me a fortune with my squeaking front fan blower
Alex
Old 03-25-2022, 04:43 AM
spooky69
Racer

Well it always amazes me every time the support you get from forums like this, and for sure it saves time and money as people have been through the same issues and looking for ways to fix things economically.
Its already saved me a fortune with my squeaking front fan blower
Alex
Like you, I am very new to this and I've found the information and support on this forum invaluable. It's a great community.

3D printing looks interesting and if you can print parts that are going to be to the required quality and performance then great!
Old 03-25-2022, 05:06 AM
Alexd912
Racer

Like you, I am very new to this and I've found the information and support on this forum invaluable. It's a great community.

3D printing looks interesting and if you can print parts that are going to be to the required quality and performance then great!
Well I will keep you posted and take some pictures of the fix.

Totally off topic regarding the door, but this was one very simple fix for the fog light. Nothing exciting, but just saved money.

Alex

Old 03-25-2022, 08:56 AM
No_snivelling
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 130 Posts

Just to clarify, I was not recommending TPU for your application. It might work if you can get the right hardness. The stuff I have seen would be too soft, but I think you can get it in harder grades. PLA might work, but ABS or Nylon would probably be better. Just watch out for toxic ABS fumes while printing.

If you do decide to go with new door check straps, you should read up on how the aftermarket ones need a modification to reduce too high internal resistance.

Quick Reply: Unknown plastic part found in the passenger door