Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Brake Caliper Paint!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 05:52 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a write up for changing your discs and pads here. It does not show complete removal of the calipers but it covers most of the process.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:10 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be prepared to have some of the metal pipes break at the couplings when you detach the calipers completely (years of corrosion). Also put clingfilm between the cap and the reservoir and clamp off the reservoir vent to stop the brake fluid pouring out when you undo the lines.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:14 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Default you said it, Jim!

Originally Posted by Jim Howley
There is a write up for changing your discs and pads here. It does not show complete removal of the calipers but it covers most of the process.
Well stated & qualified.
...There's that little matter of two rear caliper mounting socket head screws that's exquisitely left out: 1) their spelunking thru-banana access, 2) the required semi-special, lonnnnng reaching hex wrench and 3) their gorilla-worthy breaking torques.

And all 3 of which stopped me the first time I casually went in.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:09 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is the tool I made to take off the front and rear brakes and the hole in the rear arm the allen head goes thru to undo the rear. Its a 10mm head by the way.
Attached Images   
Old 01-29-2008, 11:00 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,120 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Hi Ian i did mine with the Duplicolor system from advance autoparts. The Red is really pretty and matches factory red calipers and my guards red great. Its kind of tempermental to work with cause it gets gummy on the brush so get a few brushes. The results are awsome If you prep your calipers right. Do not get the duplicolor SPRAY i tried it thinking it would be easier but it does not come out shiney and the red is more of a brick red. The brushed on method comes out really nice and shiney after a few coats. I then used white high heat engine spray to spray on the porsche with that stencil you can buy. This is the best pic i have of it.

Good luck
JERRY
Jerry

I am confused, I used the Duplicolor system on my C2 big reds and rear 993 calipers I installed on my C2. I painted the rears first and the color didn't even come close to matching. Much deeper red than the big reds. It was so obvious I had to repaint the fronts to match. I taped off the stencil that said Porsche on the big reds and was hoping to save it but it was so obviously different in color that I had to paint over and re-stencil it. I know it is the only red offered by duplicolor for the brakes. Did I end up with a bad Kit or something. I have no idea but my experience was quite different than yours.

These pictures probably don't help but you might see that the 964 has almost a deep red as where the factory big reds on my turbo are more pink. I have used guards red touch up paint on my calipers and there is a slight difference although close and this is a car that has been garaged all its life.
Attached Images   
Old 01-29-2008, 01:21 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didnt remove mine, just cleaned them up real good and painted them by hand with red hammeright.
Two coats later a set of porsche decals and they look bob on, maybe not the same standard as sum of the pics above, but it cost me £15 and looks fine to me. They only end up black with brake dust anyway.

Last edited by 964russ; 03-16-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:31 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I did mine with the brush paint from Ebay. It worked great. Very even and glossy. Then I put the Porsche stickers on. A number of track days with some really high heat, and I haven't had any problems with peeling, chipping, or anything else. I'm very happy with the results. BTW, I also painted the rotor hats with the same caliper paint (but silver) and that worked out great as well.

Last edited by ilko; 01-29-2008 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Hey Anthony, actually i shouldnt really say that they match the big reds because i have not seen them side by side. But looking at your pic above on the turbo that pretty much looks the same as mine and in my pics i think they matched the red on my car pretty well. Mine really dont look much like the color on your c2 at least in the picture. But having said that i think the duplicolor red that i bought was a very nice color. Looking at these other guys brakes though im going to do the rears in that VHT spray. And if they dont match the fronts ill redo those with the vht also. Id rather spray than paint with a brush that was a pain.

JERRY
Old 01-31-2008, 11:03 AM
ThomasC2
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Ilko: I think you should flip sides of your rear rotors. The vent holes should be pointing in the opposite direction to get the correct air flow in the inner ventilation of the rotor.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:22 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Red VHT paint doesn't match the red Duplicolor caliper spray paint. Ask me how I know.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:39 PM
Ehoff
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Does anyone know where I could get my 2005 Cayenne tiptronic S calipers painted in West London that wouldn't break the bank?

Quick Reply: Red Brake Caliper Paint!