Sponsored by:

Red Brake Caliper Paint!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 06:57 AM
ianellison
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Brake Caliper Paint!

I would like to paint my standard black brake assembly red. I think it would look great with my Guards Red and Black Leather trimmed car. Do I need special paint (ie from Porsche) or would any good quality spray paint be suitable? Any advice on this most welcome!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:01 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

in the states you can get it in about any autoparts store. They sell hand paint kits or spray cans. You can buy the decals on ebay or get a stensil and and paint the letters. Do a search as a few of us did it in the last year or so.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:25 AM
Jim Howley
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ian,

You can buy the paint kit from Halfords or somewhere similar, they have them in most stores.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:31 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure it's true "Caliper Paint" and not just your run-of-the-mill "hi-heat" paint...
Old 09-26-2006, 08:42 AM
964rh
Pro

If yours is a 90 C4 you may have the 'porsche' script as part of the caliper, so the decals will be no use.

If this is the case, I was told the best way to do way spray/paint the raised porsche script white, couple of coats. Then the rest of the caliper in you prefered colour and use v.fine wet/dry paper across the script to show the white paint.

Needless to say my calipers still look shabby!!!

rob
Old 09-26-2006, 08:52 AM
ianellison
Racer

Thanks - so it is brake caliper paint I need not any old heat resisting paint. I do have the raised Porsche name on mine I will have to see how best to deal with that - I think I would like the name to be finished in matt black!
Old 09-26-2006, 03:28 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

For mine I split the calipers, had them powder coated red, and then sprayed high heat white paint on a piece of paper and rolled the raised lettering through the paint. (I wouldnt recommend splitting the calipers, the parts are expensive.)

The lettering worked ok, but not great.

You would be wise to use a sanding block or something on the lettering before you start to make it perfectly flat, and clean up any of the 'porsche' casting that looks rough. Then your white or black paint will go on better. (I wish I had done some precision dremelling around the lettering, to clear out the inner parts of the letters, like the P, and the R)

If my white lettering doesnt hold up well, I am thinking about using a flat sander on the lettering to bring it down to the metal, and then they will be silver lettering on red.

Kirk
Attached Images  
Old 09-26-2006, 10:37 PM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Excellent thread. I'm about to do the breakes and stainless lines on mine, and while in the store I saw the kit for like $15.00 I think I'll give it a try. Worst case.. I strip it all off and get out the polisher.. oooooh polished callipers...
Old 09-27-2006, 08:29 AM
Superunknown
Racer

Can the calipers be painted while still on the car or best to take them off? If so how difficult is it to remove them for someone who is mechanically retarded??
Old 09-27-2006, 10:34 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

You can order the caliper stencil kit here...

I had my porsche shop do it for me while my brake calipers were repaired and my brakediscs where replaced.

Old 09-27-2006, 10:40 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Superunknown
Can the calipers be painted while still on the car or best to take them off?
Not if you want to do i properly, but I guess you could just remove the wheels, mask out the area you don't want to paint and spray the calipers in place.

Originally Posted by Superunknown
If so how difficult is it to remove them for someone who is mechanically retarded??
I think this is an excellent write-up of how to do that.
But I wouldn't try it if I hadn't done a little work on cars before...
Old 01-27-2008, 04:50 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw this thread while halfway through my brake upgrade/refurbish. The used 4 pot rear calipers I bought (originated from a 928S4) have the embossed old style Porsche logo on them. So after painting them (and the original fronts) the new style brake decals were no use. Initially I painted the calipers and then just rubbed the logo back to the alloy:

Name:  P1191153.jpg
Views: 3344
Size:  98.9 KB

I then contacted one of the ebay brake decal guys who kindly offered to make me period brake decals if I made him a rubbing of the embossed logo. The result is white brake decals that transfer directly onto the embossed logo

Name:  P1251154.jpg
Views: 2836
Size:  101.3 KB

My front calipers had the same style period logo and of course the period decals could go on there to:

Name:  P1251156.jpg
Views: 3441
Size:  102.0 KB

If you want period decals for your own calipers this is the ebay (UK) link:

Period brake decals
Old 01-27-2008, 07:02 PM
DLCrow
Instructor

During a recent brake job I deceided to paint the calipers - Green!. Well at least it wasn't pink!

Used a product called G2. Made specifically for calipers - comes with cleaner, paint/hardening agent. Suggest you use a better brush than provided. Surface prep is crucial - actually helps to have the pads out.

Found that its very beneficial to clean wheel wells first - had first coat on - inadvertantly tapped the liner and dropped all sorts of chud onto wet paint.....
Let dry and start all over again.

Sorry for the poor quality photos - too cold to go outside!
Attached Images   
Old 01-27-2008, 08:25 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

and I thought my blue ones were "different"
Attached Images  
Old 01-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Sten
Pro

You could consider having the calipers powder coated, you'd have to take them off though. Also handy for cleaning any corrosion from under the spring plates. I sent mine to http://biggred.co.uk, cost was £90 for two calipers.

Quick Reply: Red Brake Caliper Paint!