Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G-pipe advice, please. Brand, supplier, price?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 03:15 AM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts
Question G-pipe advice, please. Brand, supplier, price?

Which brand of g-pipe is preferred, and who (in N. America) is the best/least expensive supplier? Any other advice is welcome.

I am debating options and/or possible combinations:
1) Just a primary by-pass (Dansk);
2) Just a g-pipe (which brands??)
3) Just Cat by-pass;
4) Open up the air box.

I am (gulp) favorably partial to more rumble at idle; I don't race (yet); I don't drive too much like a maniac. If there is better performance, howerver, I'm a happy camper. Thanks in advance.

Stock 1992 C2, Polar Silver, 50K miles.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:26 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

The airbox only gives more noise under acceleration but it's a great noise, you just won't hear anything different at idle. The G pipe is a great sounding inexpensive mod. I think I paid $150 for a Dansk at Performance Products, a Rennlist sponsor. I've heard a car with all three bypassed and it sounds good but is too loud for the street.
Performance Products G Pipe

c
Old 09-13-2006, 08:05 AM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

G-Pipe...I think I might go this route too.

What do you use as the exhaust Tip?

I have not checked my C2 Exhaust in detail, but can you remove the stock tip and install on the G-pipe or do you need to get a Dansk Tip?

The Dansk Sport tip is about $150 according to that link you posted.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:50 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ducnine
G-Pipe...I think I might go this route too.

What do you use as the exhaust Tip?
The G-pipe is a direct replacement for the secondary muffler, I kept the original exhaust tip.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:21 AM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Millemiglia
The G-pipe is a direct replacement for the secondary muffler, I kept the original exhaust tip.

Did you cut the original tip off and apply the new tip or does the original tip come off easily?

How does it sound with the G-pipe?
Old 09-13-2006, 09:26 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Original tip comes off easily and re-attaches with a donut and ring clamp....use stainless steel bolts or else you'll need the angle grinder to remove it in the future.

Marc
Old 09-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Greg_L
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

a while back i wrote up a DIY guide for fitting a G-Pipe which is in the technical DIY type section
Old 09-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Chimera
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased my G-Pipe from Performance Products, and reused the tip. The installation was my first DIY on the 964 using instructions from this group. I've since added the Cup airbox. What a great sound at WOT!

Doc
Old 09-13-2006, 12:06 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

I have a FABSPEED G-Pipe.....for sale at $100....used for 10 miles on a 965 Turbo.....we removed it because it was too loud, as the car had no mufflers at all to begin with.......
Old 09-13-2006, 01:40 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a G-pipe and a Fabspeed airbox. You can debate the value of the airbox, but I highly recommend the G pipe for a beautiful rumbling and rich exhaust sound that sounds good anywhere from idle all the way up to redline. And its not too loud for street (granted, that is subjective, but I enjoy a reasonably aggressive exhaust).

The only other exhaust mod I'm thinking about doing is a cat-bypass. I actually don't want much more loudness from the exhaust - it sounds perfect now. But I want to gain a little more power and lose a little bit more weight. I figure I'm gambling that the cat-bypass would do both of those (although the debate continues). I have also thought about, either in addition to or instead of the cat-bypass, going up to my local exhaust artist and having him replace my primary with a more free flowing sport muffler. But I know that's a gamble because it may be too loud with the secondary bypass already in place. But I would have him do it in such a way that I could go back to the original primary if I didn't like the results.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:50 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Please can somebody explain the G-pipe to me! Yes, I know what it is and where it goes but WHY! Why what, I hear you ask (or not, as the case might be!!). Why does the G pipe follow the route it does? I know it is replacing the last box but surely if you were designing a system without that box, you would just make a simple pipe that comes out of the large muffler and turns 90 degrees out to the rear of the car. WHY go on the wildly contorted route of the final muffler?

I have always suspected it is a mounting issue as the G pipe uses the same mounting points as the box it replaces. Going the route I suggest might give ris eto mounting issues but can they really be that serious?

Or am I missing something?
Old 09-13-2006, 02:02 PM
964rh
Pro

Simon

Most g pipe's don't mount anywhere. They simply attach to the primary box and to the tail pipe.
I believe the reason they are contorted so much is the exit from the primary is at an angle. pointing towards the back of the car by roughly 30 degrees. The g pipe needs to be the shape it is to allow the tube to turn to the back of car and tail pipe.
Some on sale are a lot bigger than the one I'm tying about and have a lot more tubing involved and do in fact attach to the final silencer mounting points.
The small ones only weigh about 2-3kg from memory.

They do give the car a rumble, and when combined with a cat bypass, too loud for most circuits.
Mine measured 107db at 4000rpm!, this went down to 103db at 4500 when I changed to the cup pipe and original sec. silencer (which is now f**ked and I need a new one!)

Rob
Old 09-13-2006, 02:04 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Its a really small pipe that is just "u" shaped.

It comes right off the Primary muffler and makes a 180 degree turn right out the back to the tip
Old 09-13-2006, 02:51 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

And....it's not to be confused with G-string............or G-spot.......either.......my unit is now sold.
Old 09-13-2006, 02:52 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

it probably is larger then necessary so the factory exhaust tip can ge added for the factory look. If it just did a 180 the tip wouldnt fit right and stick out a few inches.

Quick Reply: G-pipe advice, please. Brand, supplier, price?