964 Carrera Trophy (pre 964RS Cup car)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 05:56 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 964 Carrera Trophy (pre 964RS Cup car)

So, I get a phone call from Porsche Club Office asking if I can display my 993RS CS on the Club Motorsport stand at Eynsham hall and I cannot make it as I have booked a surprise birthday celebration weekend in Glasgow for the missus (Rolling Stones concert, posh hotel, flowers, champagne, etc. - but that's another story), so in the end I arrange with business partner Marc (MC) to take the car and our newly finished red GT3"RS".

So, all relaxed we made it home on Sunday night, sat there with a cup of tea when the phone rings -it's MC: "I've got a confession to make - we've bought another car! Saw it in the Coys auction and felt sorry for it, decided what we could pay and managed to win the bid. We pick it up on Monday". Well.....

Turns out that MC has only gone and bought a pre-RS chassis number Cup car which we believe is from the 1990 Porsche Trophy race series, this is one of just 3 Cup cars in full Signal Green (Viper Green on the older models) and is chassis number 9007, thus is probably only the 7th Cup car ever made. The car is very straight and original although the pantwork is pretty faded after it looks like it has stood in a barn for the last 5 years, full of dust and cobwebs but very original, I'll post some photos soon.

It has the usual full CS Matter cage with sticker without the later additions of X door bars and front bulkhead reinforcements, original Porshe crest drivers seat is fitted and the only trim is the flat door panels, which pre-date the production RS and are what looks like ordinary door panels without all the handle holes with the addition of a leather pull strap and early 2.7RS pull handle. Engine is sweet after clearing storage oil from the exhaust system, has the plastic manifold which pre-dates the production car by over 12 months - standard engine number so it will be interesting to see what it makes on the dyno. The car arrived with non-original wheels but we have a already fitted a set of 18" 964 Cup wheels that we had on our 968CS, given the age of the car it may have been built with Design 90's although more likely to have run on 17" Mags. Under the alloy bonnet was fitted a large ATL fuel cell - dated 1997, a Neil Bainbridge fitment - but this will be coming out and will be going back to a stock plastic tank.

I can't seem to find a lot of info about this series of cars, our local OPC is helping out by tracing the build history from Porsche, but if anyone knows anything about this car or Trophy cars in general I would love to hear from them.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:10 AM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw the car I think your talking about at Eynsham I am sure Mark will work his magic on it. It did look rather unloved (to put it politely). Nice to meet you at North Weald hope the journey was'nt too horrendous on the way back.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:20 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Colin,
This is a picture of a Carrera 2 Cup car taken in 1990. Copyright of the image belongs to Porsche AG.
These Cup cars were originally geared for a maximum top speed of 120mph for the 1990 Pirelli Carrera Cup Competition itself. I do not know the rules of the Trophy series you speak of, but I am sure a search of the internet will reveal more.
Ciao,
Adrian.
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2006, 08:30 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

I saw the car too - looked well-used but still awesome! Well done for snapping it up!
Old 09-05-2006, 08:42 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Colin, One of my customers has an original 1990 Cup Car which is a very early serial number car as well. It has the items you mention. Let me know if we can check anything for you over here. Which front bulkhead reinforcements are you talking about? I haven't seen any Cup cars where the cage extends into the front trunk.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

Colin,
Why not give Neil a call ? I will be speaking to him a bit later so I will mention this one.

Geoff
Old 09-05-2006, 08:16 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here are the photos of our Cup/Trophy car, coincidentally behind one of our customer's immaculate identical colour 964RS CS in the dyno shop. Eagle eyed viewers will note my 993RSCS on the ramp in the background having the gearbox re-geared following a reverse selector problem at the recent Porsche Club 964/993/GT3 RS "Judgement Day 2".

Geoff, Tell Neil I'll call him as soon as I get a chance, as well as putting Motec on the CS I now have my 'box to fix to get it out for a booked Thursday test session at Cadwell Park so it will probably be some time next week.

Adrian, as ever thanks for your valued input. The term Trophy car came from Thomas Schmit in Germany and was also used by Mel Spear who is also a Cup car owner, so who was I to argue. Mel seems to recall seeing or having a copy of a Porsche press release photo of the first 50 cars, one of which was Signal Green, so it seems that we probably have this one given that it is 007.

I'll keep everyone up to date once more info comes to light, thanks for the interest.
Attached Images          
Old 09-05-2006, 10:52 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Oh, I just passed out from being overwhelmed from that car-****. It made all my blood rush to my head and I could not breath for a while. Now I am ok.

Nice lookin' car to say the least.

Originally Posted by NineMeister
Here are the photos of our Cup/Trophy car, coincidentally behind one of our customer's immaculate identical colour 964RS CS in the dyno shop. Eagle eyed viewers will note my 993RSCS on the ramp in the background having the gearbox re-geared following a reverse selector problem at the recent Porsche Club 964/993/GT3 RS "Judgement Day 2".
Old 09-05-2006, 11:28 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I'd like a signal green 964 in the garage.
Old 09-06-2006, 04:56 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hawk911
I think I'd like a signal green 964 in the garage.
Sorry, am I rubbing it in by having two?

The hardest part of the deal was to explain to the wife where the money came from and why we cannot now afford the new kitchen. The only good news was that after she saw the photos, she liked the colour and thought the car looked quite modern. In other words there is an outside chance that it may stay for a while...
Old 09-06-2006, 07:05 AM
schlicht911
Advanced

what a great car!!!! Congratulation

Greetings from Hamburg

Christian
Old 09-06-2006, 07:21 PM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice car Colin, Here's a few pics of it's cousin 9030. 9032 is owned by a friend of mine. Geoffrey and I have dynoed this car after a fresh rebuild. Geoffrey has the details. Would be interesting to see your #'s. M64-01 engine built to cup car specs. Bob
Attached Images      
Old 09-06-2006, 08:08 PM
TR6
Drifting

I love that color! Sorry, I guess I should say 'colour'....
Old 09-06-2006, 08:09 PM
tonytaylor
Burning Brakes

If the car is green why is the engine yellow
Old 09-06-2006, 08:34 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Nice find !!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 964 Carrera Trophy (pre 964RS Cup car)