Sponsored by:

Windshield Replacement in Maryland

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Windshield Replacement in Maryland

Hello all... I have a huge double stone chip in my windshield that cannot be repaired. I've read horror stories where this has not been done correctly. I've searched the forum and found posts referring to the correct way for this to be done. I also copied a post where someone refers to the pages in Adrian's book and the factory manual (I have both) to give to the installer in case they have never replaced a 964 windshield. Ideally... I'd like to find someone to come to my home to do the replacement. That way I can keep an eye on them while they are doing the job to ensure they are doing it correctly.

Does anyone know of a person or company that has experience doing this? I'd like to find someone in Maryland, preferably around Baltimore or Annapolis. I don't have a problem dropping it off if someone knows of a good place and has had a positive experience with them. I DO NOT want to drop it off to a dealer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:26 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I have done a couple of 911 windshied replacements, but not on the 964. I think the radio antenna is the main difference. I know the OEM windshield fits better than aftermarket units. I installed an aftermarket windshield. It leaked water. Replaced with a junkyard OEM windshield, and found it easier to install, and was leak free. YMMV.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Replacing the windscreen is straightforward and easy. It is just a rubber seal that fits behind a lip. You need a thin piece of rope (like a drape cord) and you can install it yourself.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:15 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like to be able to make a claim with my insurance company... I'm not sure I can do that if I do it myself... I'll have to check.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:35 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I am not so sure about "easy". Old glass is not easy to get out. The new glass is frighteningly easy to break. You can cut yourself. It is easy to put so they leak in the rain.

I have always had a helper to push from the outside while I pulled the string on the inside. It is not hell, but "easy" is a stretch.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:11 PM
Richard Curtis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick: I've had Harmon AutoGlass in Fairfax (on Lee Highway just west of I-495) replace several windshields in a variety of cars over the years, including my '93 C2 last year. Cost for the Porsche windshield (replaced by insurance) was about $800, all but $100 of that was for an authentic windshield bought through HBL POrsche. The fellow who installed it (took one hour, while I waited, and they make appointments) had done 964s and other Porsches before. He knew to hook up the antenna. He knew to look for scratches (he said they were caused by the factory) in the galvanizing beneath the windshield and said he touched them up with some paint. Install is guaranteed for as long as you own the car. He said the rubber gasket didn't need replacing. It's been over a year and no complaints. I know this location isn't convenient to you but they are a chain; perhaps they have a shop near you.

For those of you without glass breakage coverage on your insurance policy, it's well worth it. Go for the zero deductible.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:50 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 457 Posts

Call a Porsche specialty shop in your area. I asked the local shop that tech inspects my race car - their referral was fantastic! The guy ended up cracking the windshield when removing it... not something I can risk doing

Quick Reply: Windshield Replacement in Maryland