Sponsored by:

Horn Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 05:54 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Horn Question

Have any of you experienced a weird sounding horn? There are two horns in the right front fenderwell, one is LOW tone, the other is HIGH tone.

I often only hear the high tone, which is somewhat irritating because I replaced the low tone unit a couple years ago during a complete rebuild after an accident...hoping this would address the intermittent issue.

The horn sounds like a Yugo, rather than the familiar Euro tones we all are fans of.

Has anyone experienced this, even the opposite, with just the low tone horn working and no high tone? ...I'm wondering if there is a relay I should replace or another item to check.

I don't drive my 964 on the street very often, I did the other day and went to honk at a friend and that Yugo tone was like nails on a chalkboard.

Thanks for any insight, the horn is not that important to me...so it's been a long time since I've considered fixing it.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:46 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff,

Each horn has an armature adjustment and it seems a common problem that one or other of them "goes weird" from time to time. AFAIK there is no relay for the horns. Try adjusting the armature (screw with a lock nut) on the back of the horn to see if you can bring it alive. The long trumpets should prevent the worst of the moisture getting in to the electrical part so it may just be an adjustment issue.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Dave
Old 07-25-2006, 07:35 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

I wish it was an adjustment issue, and I have seen the armature adjustment as well...but I bought a NEW unit while ordering the TONS of other parts to fix the car about three years ago, I was going through PET and saw the horn units, wrote the PN down and included it when I placed my parts order...when I put the new fenders and fenderliners on, it was convenient to change the horn out, since then it just does the same thing it's always done, worked intermittently.

Maybe it's faulty/loose wiring? ...I dunno. Just thought maybe others have experienced the same issue?

Thanks for the tips Dave, maybe I'll put them out and hook to a 12v source and go from there, but I honestly think the horn units themselves are OK...was hoping for a relay or something that controls them, maybe the wiring harness/connectors - who knows?
Old 07-25-2006, 08:17 AM
Bates
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem. With the car off, all I did is work the steering wheel button to "loosen" a sticky switch. Not pretty, but it worked.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:03 AM
Jeremy Pinsly
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My horn used to sound like a dead frog......I had both horns replaced and everything sounds normal now.
Old 07-25-2006, 09:47 AM
MSchett2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not unusual for one of the horns to stop working. Often it is not noticed until the other stops as well. The cause could be with the connection on the outside of the horn, or the inside. I would recommend checking the connections to the horn, making sure they are getting power. Adjusting the volume can also help. If there is a bad connection inside send me a private message and I can send you my write up on how to diagnose and repair horn problems. Both of my horns had quit working and I was able to easily repair them. They sound fine now, well as good as they can.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:04 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Computamedic
AFAIK there is no relay for the horns.
My apologies - R23 in the Central Electric handles the horn. I should really check before I reply shouldn't I??

Dave
Old 07-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same problem with my 928. High works, low doesn't. Replaced low and verified voltage. Still no worky.

Germans make beautiful engines, transmissions, chassis. Electrics? Not so hot.
Old 07-25-2006, 04:03 PM
MSchett2
Instructor

Actually the horns come from a French company.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:31 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

No posts on this thread since July 2006, but I need help. My horn went intermittent losing only one tone about six weeks ago. Now it is intermittent with both horns off. I drive on Atlanta freeways, and would have wrecked several times except that the excellent horn warned off the driver than did not see me.

It is too cold to fix cars, but the first warm day I will crawl under and see about getting the horns out. Anyone have suggestions? Are there any upgrades worth looking at?

TIA
Old 02-04-2010, 10:36 PM
MSchett2
Instructor

Default Horn repair procedure

I've written up the whole procedure to repair the horns. Most can be easily repaired. Contact me if you have more questions.

http://p-car.com/diy/hornrepair/

or

http://efinnegan.com/Porsche/Repair%...sche%20964.pdf
Old 02-05-2010, 07:32 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Great write-up.

Many thanks
Old 02-05-2010, 10:33 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

My horn used to sound like a dead frog......I had both horns replaced and everything sounds normal now.
Actually the horns come from a French company.
Figures.
Old 02-05-2010, 11:43 AM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my wife laughs at the horn, so I should look into this.
Old 02-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

I had the same problem, the low-tone horn would work intermittently, replaced it and had the same issue...found out later could be the relay, never messed with it as it's a "race car" now.

Quick Reply: Horn Question