Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting my 964 - how will it impact resale?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 06:12 PM
ronone10
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting my 964 - how will it impact resale?

I am thinking of having my 964 (Guards Red) repainted by a recommended body shop and was wondering how will it impact the resale value if after a year I decide to sell it. Now, there is no reason to think I will sell it in a year but just thought I would ask…. How many of you would not consider buying it because it was repainted?

The reason I want to repaint it is because prior to my purchase two years ago, the previous owner had the hood and entire left side of the car repainted. The hood had excessive rock chips and there were door dings along the left side. The body shop recommended painting the entire left side and hood to make sure the color matched. Well, I can see now that the right front quarter panel doesn’t match the hood. The hood and the left side have more of a orange red tint instead of the deeper red found on the front right quarter panel and the rest of the car. Also, the clear coat isn’t consistent in some of the painted areas.

My body shop suspects it was a combination of oxidation and the fact that guards red is one hard color to match. They recommend I repaint the car to make sure everything matches. I like the idea of having a nice new paint job but now wonder if I am going to have a problem selling it at the market pirce down the road.

What do you think?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:19 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rom can you PM which shop you are going to use and the price they are discussing
Personally i would paint it if it was bad or is really bothering you. At this point i would not worry too much about resale since mechanical condition will matter more than orignal paint (which has already been painted over in places anyway)
Old 07-12-2006, 06:23 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

At 12-17 years old, they are all fading, chipped and most of them have already had at least partial resprays. I doubt it would hurt the resale value in any way.

Kirk
Old 07-12-2006, 06:27 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The front of mine had already been resprayed for stone chips when I bought it. It was done very well and I did not even consider it as a negative.

I think a total respray for cosmetics would not be an issue for any potential buyer.

Marc
Old 07-12-2006, 06:28 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I would be sure they striped the paint off at least where it already is 2 layers. Its had what ever hit from a respray anyways. Take dated (copy of newspaper) pictures to show it wasnt because of a wreck and enjoy the fresh new car look.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:33 PM
stuart1997
Instructor

Nice shiny paint will always help sell the car if its done well,i know from experience guards red is an awful colour to match up as there have been so many differnt shades and also the fact red cars seem to fade really bad.
There carnt be many 964`s out there with original paint (unlessthey have never been driven or have those stupid bras fitted ! )
Old 07-12-2006, 06:38 PM
Timmer
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

got my guards red 964 last year and it had had some awful paint in the past - from the sounds of it, you will be adding value but cosmetic restoration -

if you were spraying it another colour that may be a different matter - but if you are worried about resale - i would say don't - as has already been said fresh paint should help to sell it - not hinder.....

all IMHO...
Timmer
Old 07-12-2006, 06:47 PM
KB964Cabrio
Rennlist Member

Location: Grantham, UK. My Whippets have wee'd up this many Telephone

I've just had my 964 completely professionally resprayed and all i get is great comments now like "it's looks brand new!"

I would personally say that it won't affect resale prices in a negative way at all, probably quite the opposite if the job is done well without any overspray on trims etc...

Just use someone who's work you know of, 'orange peel' effect on red paintwork looks terrible and will affect resale prices, so be VERY particular about who resprays your car.

Just one final tip, don't pay for it until you have fully inspected it from all angles, don't just be dazzled by a bright red shiny car!!!
Old 07-12-2006, 06:59 PM
ronone10
Racer

Everyone, thanks for the feedback. Looks like it is unanimous to have the car repainted. I appreicate the tips as well. I am still working out the numbers and hope to finalize my decision soon.

Rob Lynch, I will pm you tonight with the details on the price and shop.

Thanks...
Old 07-12-2006, 07:43 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

High quality refinish will increase the value. Cheap or poor quality work will decrease it. Nothing is more frustrating to me than going to look at a car for sale and finding that it has had a poor quality paint refinish done. In that case, it would have been worth more left alone.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:59 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Do it Ron...........it'll be at least $5K for a great job IMHO. You are not going to detract from resale because you are using the OEM color. Just take some pics beforehand to document what was done, make a file for the work order once completed, and set it aside in the records for resale time.

It's well worth it if they take the car apart and do it right. The only other option, and sometimes this works for me with Guards Red cars, is to have the entire car wet sanded by hand. $4-500.........you'd be amazed at the result and what it does to faded and mismatched paint on a Guards red car.

I wish I could have seen your car to eyeball it so I could suggest what would work..........
Old 07-12-2006, 08:00 PM
Michael Delaney
Racer

You will ruin the value. Every purist only wants a car with many rock chips and door dings. Only original ones of course.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:32 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

most buyers are cautious of paint overs because of concerns about painting over damages not being disclosed. Everyone's suggestions are right on. Use a professional that will stand by his work, document why it was painted and use OE Porsche paint and keep the label part number off one of the paint cans. When mine fades, I won't hesitate to have a paint over unless I see a faded guards red 90 C4 sell for over $100,000 on the Barret-Jackson Auction. Although the wet sanded idea sounds real interesting.
Old 07-12-2006, 10:35 PM
ronone10
Racer

I plan to take a before and after picture and have the body shop spell out in detail the condition of the car before they start. I don't know anything about the wet sand approach and will ask the body shop about it. I also don't have a good grasp on the paint process and therefore have relied on some local Porsche owners to help point me to the right body shop that knows Porsches. There will be no taping of trim parts. I don't have the details in front of me but I know that they are going to remove the front and rear windshields, all exterior plastic parts, lights, door handles, wipers, inside door kick panels, etc...

Thanks again.
Old 07-12-2006, 11:29 PM
Chad T
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a quality full re-paint would be much better for value than what sounds like a half re-paint that is noticable

Quick Reply: Painting my 964 - how will it impact resale?