Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oh no, whats that ticking noise (Update)

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 06:31 AM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oh no, whats that ticking noise (Update)

A month ago I adjusted my valves according to the guide in Adrians book, the engine was completely cold.
But now after driving it over 7000 Km (Holiday in France) it has this annoying ticking noice. You might be able to hear it on the Wav file 'ticking.mp3.zip' just remove the .zip extension.
I'm worried that it might be some valves, although I tightened them hard and double checked the gap.
It sounds like its comming from the left bottom of the car, by the catalysator.
So my question is, is it possible to remove the valve cover and check the gaps, without draining the oil? I know that there might be a little oil in the cover - but I would rather not drain the whole system again
Attached Files
File Type: zip
ticking.mp3.zip (131.9 KB, 153 views)

Last edited by Mike_964; 07-12-2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:48 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike, before you get radical with your valves. It's very common for the catalyst converter to cause a ticking sound when it gets hot and usually when it's older. I think the beads shrink with time and vibrate when hot and cause the "ticking" sound. This is a very common sound with American made cars. I have the same ticking sound on the same side when stopped but goes away when in motion. My mechanic agrees that if it was a valve or two, I would notice a change in performance. Just a suggestion. My dad used to put a short wooden broom stick handle to the valve covers and then to his ear to hear the valves tick.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:59 AM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

Ok, I think I will try the trick with the wooden broom stick.
The ticking sound is also there when driving.
I can't feel any perfomance drop, I have just driven all the way through Germany and it drove perfect. The needle showed 275 km/h (171 mph/h) when playing with a 380 horsepowered V8 BMW so no complaints in that area.
Should I worry about driving it before having found the reason for the ticking noice? What is the worst case scenario if a valve is too lose?
Old 07-09-2006, 05:43 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Mike, you would have seen issues at 171 mph, most likely a backfire or hesitation. I didn't think the 964 could reach anything over 165 even in top condition and with some performance mods like lighter flywheel, chip, sport muffle, etc. How many horse power do you have? I ran a vette with a loose valve and it bent the push rods at 70mph and the timing chain had to be replaced. I'd have a shop verify the ticking to be on the safe side before running 170 mph again.
Old 07-09-2006, 06:06 PM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

It properly didn't reach more than 165, I think the speedometer is optimistic. But it was just to say that I had it maxed out without problems.
Now I'm back in Schweden so I unfortunately will not reach speed like that for a while...
Can anybody answer my question if the oil has to be drained to check the valves?
Old 07-09-2006, 09:51 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

If you jack up the side of the car you are checking the valves on, the oil will end up in the other side of the engine.........
Old 07-10-2006, 01:10 AM
PC2
Burning Brakes

From your mp3 file it sounds like the valves are out of adjustment. It's quite common for home mechanics to "not" get it right the first time. On my first time, I had to redo them 3 times within a month. The problem is we usually adjust them too loose. Just open her up and recheck them.

BTW, a ticking valve (loose) is better than a silent one (too tight).

Old 07-10-2006, 01:43 PM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

I think I will bite the bullet and recheck the valves... I tried to listen with a bromstick but I'm still not sure.
But I would really like to avoid draining all the oil, is this possible our will it pour out when I remove the valve covers?
Old 07-10-2006, 01:53 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike_964
I think I will bite the bullet and recheck the valves... I tried to listen with a bromstick but I'm still not sure.
But I would really like to avoid draining all the oil, is this possible our will it pour out when I remove the valve covers?
IIRC, you'll loose about 1 to 2 quarts out of the valve covers.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, jack up the side you are checking, and the oil will drain through the return tubes to the lower engine side. You will only get some drips when you remove the valve covers, not quarts.
Old 07-10-2006, 02:48 PM
PC2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Eric Kessel
No, jack up the side you are checking, and the oil will drain through the return tubes to the lower engine side. You will only get some drips when you remove the valve covers, not quarts.
True, but wouldn't that be dangerous? I, personally, wouldn't feel safe working underneath a car with only one wheel up in the air. But that's just me.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Eric Kessel
Addict
Rennlist Member

With a jackstand holding that corner of the car up, chocks under the front wheels, parking brake on for the wheel on the ground...... I don't have a problem working under the car...... assuming it's not a dirt driveway.......
Old 07-10-2006, 02:58 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the thought on that Eric. I'm due for this myself so will try your technique. I don't need or want to dump any oil.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:33 PM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

I will give it a go tomorrow with just a jackstand in one corner of the car and chocks under the front wheel on the opposite side.
Any other things to consider, other than make the valves tighter than last time around?
The following users liked this post:
FL4t6 (09-06-2021)
Old 07-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

Make sure the car sits for a long time before doing the adjustment. You may want to try a dial indicator to check your work with the feeler gauges. I simply cannot get the darn feelers in and out properly myself so I'll use the indicator solely. Everyone else seems fine with the feelers so I'm not suggesting they arent ok. But if you want a check an indicator will do it!

Quick Reply: Oh no, whats that ticking noise (Update)