Oil Overfill

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 03:44 PM
Boston Blazer
HaHa
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Overfill

Greetings wise Porsche owners! I just purchased a 93 911 C2. (Please be patient with my ignorance as I have never owned a nice car!) When I was looking at the oil gauge it was in the red section even after it was running for a few minutes. Checking the dipstick showed me that there was almost no oil. I panicked and went out and bought some Mobil 1. I added 2 quarts and the dipstick didn't move, so I added another 2 quarts. At this point both the gauge and the dipstick show that I am at the top.

I realize (now) that I need to have the car running to get an accurate reading. Can I run the car if it is overfilled w/o causing damage to the engine? If I did overfill can the excess oil be taken out? TIA for any help you can provide.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:47 PM
doug751
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 21 Posts

TAKE ANOTHER CAR TO AUTOZONE, BUY A SYPHON PUMP AND A CHEAP BUCKET, SUCK OUT 2 OR 3 QUARTS BEFORE DRIVING.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Wikkid911
Remarkable
Rennlist Member

Gretings Patrick and welcome to the one of the quirks of 964 ownership. I did exactly what you've just done when I first got mine
The correct way to check the oil level is to leave the engine running until the temperature gauge gets to between 9 an 10 o'clock on the gauge. This enables all the thermostats to open and enables you to get a true reading. You can check for this by listening for the fan to come on in front of the front wheel on the drivers side (RHD) and check the level then. Having said all that its still not 100% clear how much is in there but the level gauge on the dash coupled with the dipstick should give you a good idea. I dont think you should run the engine with too much oil in it as the problems you can cause are numerous. If you've put too much in you'll have to take some out or you'll spend money fixing oil leaks you haven't got.
Good luck.
Old 07-07-2006, 04:08 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

welcome! Questions without pictures?? Where are your pictures
Old 07-07-2006, 04:10 PM
robbed666
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't run the car until you've removed the excess oil!!!!!!!
If you 'Hydraulic' the engine, "there will be tears before bedtime".
Old 07-07-2006, 05:13 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robbed666
Don't run the car until you've removed the excess oil!!!!!!!
If you 'Hydraulic' the engine, "there will be tears before bedtime".
That would take a LOT. Hopefully you're not actually 4 whole quarts overfilled. But it will find it's way through the breather and make a mess. Do a search on "oil overfill". Here's one:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=oil+overfill

Don't feel bad. Even my mechanic with a million years of Porsche experience overfilled mine by half a quart. Guess he was in a hurry...
Old 07-07-2006, 06:04 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Patrick Gwynne
I realize (now) that I need to have the car running to get an accurate reading.
At a temperature of 194F/90C (right side image) you never want the oil more than halfway (left side image).

Originally Posted by Patrick Gwynne
If I did overfill can the excess oil be taken out?
I would be hesitant to stick anything but oil down the filler tube. The turkey baster suggestion works great for the 993 but they have something your 964 doesn't, an additional oil filter sitting between the tank and the engine. In the 964 the oil goes straight from the side tank into the engine. It is really easy to drain excess oil from the crankcase or the oil tank, just be very careful and move slowly. If you drain oil from the tank you don't even need to lift the car with a jack.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to Rennlist - you have already committed the most common new 911-owner error (been there, done that too).

You have received some good advice already - if you have not already done so, buy Adrian Streather's 964 book.

Marc
Old 07-08-2006, 03:48 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HI Patrick. Welcome to Rennlist!

One minor point regarding photos posted by Jason (who you will find is an excellent resource of all types of Porsche info), the photo in the right shows the temp that one could check oil level, but remember the engine has to be running at idle for at least one minute (photo seems to be right at shutoff as there is no pressure, or maybe the sending unit is out).
Old 07-08-2006, 03:52 PM
D_Schultz
Instructor

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
At a temperature of 194F/90C (right side image) you never want the oil more than halfway (left side image).
And if your oil pressure is as shown with the car running... the oil level isn't gonna matter

David S.

'93 Carrera 4 with oil level currently just a couple hairs over the halfway point as shown referenced in the image because the darned bottle of 0W40 pours so quickly & wasn't using a funnel.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:12 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
(photo seems to be right at shutoff as there is no pressure, or maybe the sending unit is out).
or they were photoshopped...

The gauges have since been cleaned up so I will take some new photos with the correct idle pressure, etc. these look absolutely hideous and were originally taken to document the plastic film delaminating.
Old 07-08-2006, 04:16 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh yeah. Good points! You guys must have the scientific **** retention to trouble shoot stuff...I like it!

Also, regarding oil level check this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turbo-forum/284791-mysterious-oil-level-gauge.html

Jaime
Old 07-10-2006, 03:51 PM
Boston Blazer
HaHa
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for all the helpful info! Using the turkey baster worked the best. I was able to drain 2+ quarts. I'll try the syphon pump for the rest but that is really slow going.
This has certainly been an interesting first week as a Porsche owner. I'm grateful that there are so many helpful/knowledgable enthusiats out there. Again many thanks!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:48 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
these were originally taken to document the plastic film delaminating.
Jason,
Any thoughts on what caused this over the years? Is it heat from the lightbulbs, or simply a matter of age?

Andreas
Old 07-10-2006, 10:52 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Patrick, good decision in cars and websites. There is absolutely no question considered "dumb" on this site that the members will not respond to with respect. I've seen guys that have rebuild their cars from the ground up and sometimes ask questions that seem obvious (left brain/right brain syndrome) Do yourself a favor and read the owners manual, it is a good start to understand this unique vehicle with its built-in quirks. Read the threads here in your spare time to pick up instant knowledge even about issues that don't effect you. It's like using Cliff Notes. Also, you need to routinely check the oil levels with the dip stick after long runs on hot days. The oil level guage is erratic with the car in motion but usually should be at the mid range when idling for awhile.

Go to www.bentleypublishers.com and order Andrian Streather's Porsche 911 Enthusiast's Companion for 1989-1994 porsches for 50 bucks. easy reading and user friendly. Use that and this site before dumping big bucks at a shop to address a problem. You may not be able to fix your own problems but at least you won't get hosed for unnecessary expensive repairs. Finally, find a shop whose techs own Porsches themselves. They will treat you fairly. Welcome aboard and when you read about mods and "the slope", hide your check book.

Quick Reply: Oil Overfill