964 Diagnostic tool FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 06:54 AM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 Diagnostic tool FAQ

964 Diagnostic tool FAQ
Please do not post on this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Q1. where do I get the software?
Ans . Download the software from http://members.rennlist.com/jandreas/scantool3.zip or look within the thread
NEW UPDATED VERSION 4 with engine adaption below http://dedeharter.com/scantool/scantool4.zip

Q2 Who wrote the software?
Ans . This project owes it’s thanks to Doug Boyce for writing the software and providing it for free!

Q3 Where do I get the interface?
Ans. Currently there are about 3 ways to obtain an interface. www.ecufix.com sells a fully built opto-isolator type design compatible with iso 9141-1 . You could also build the interface supplied in the scantool3 software zip. Or alternatively build the simple solution in the 993 forum thread on the diagnostic interface. Please note the ELM type interfaces will not work with this software. Please let me know if you have any other suppliers and I will put them in the FAQ.
update: there is now a pcb availiable from the 993 forum for a 993 application. This can also be used for 964 with the switches in the correct place. See the 993 diag thread for more info.

Q4 Can I post the software up on rennlist if I’m a member, to make it easier for members to obtain it?
Ans.updated see earlier question

Q5 what else is required to get the diagnostic tool working?
Ans. A computer / laptop running windows 2000 or Xp (not sure about other os) , will not run under win 95. A 9way dtype m/f straight through cable (and possibly a gender changer) . For those who are not happy placing the bare leads into the diagnostic port you will also need either 1. 19way diagnostic plug with pins. 2. just the pins. You will need to attach this to the k,L,12v,0V of the interface via cables to the pins in the plug or just to bare pins

Q6 Where can I buy the 19way plug?
Ans. Currently John Speake of www.jdsporsche.com rennlist sponsor is the only known supplier of these. Though it may be possible to purchase from Porsche?

Q7 Where can I buy the 9 way d type lead. ?
Ans. This can be purchased through any computer supplies shop. Chances are you may already own one

Q8 what about using a laptop with a usb adapter?
Ans. There are some issues with this as not all adapters work. Please read the whole thread for more info.

Q9 my interface won’t connect using my laptop and the 9way cable combo?
Ans. The ecufix opto design has an issue when running with the led’s connected. It’s adviced to cut these out. You will find that it will connect ok after that. This is less of an issue when using a desktop computer.

Q10 what do I Connect to the cars diagnostic port?
Ans . Your interface should have four leads K, L, 12v and 0v (gnd) . These are connected to K to pin 8 , L to pin 7 , 12v to pin 12 and 0v (gnd) to pin 10. You will find the diagnostic port socket is numbered. There is also a diagram within the main thread.

Q11 So put simply how do I get this thing working???
Ans Download the software and install it. Obtain an interface (ecufix being my choice) Connect the 9 way dtype lead from the computer to the interface and connect the K, L, 12v , and 0v to the 19 way diagnostic socket on the car. Run the software and switch on the ignition. The software should say connected. If not don’t panic . Check through the main thread for useful help, also check back to Q9.

Please post in the main thread anything else you’d Like to see in the faq.

Last edited by Laurence Gibbs; 09-21-2006 at 02:37 AM.
Old 07-01-2006, 01:48 AM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Updated to include new software link
Old 07-16-2006, 06:43 AM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

minor revision to outdated wording
Old 07-17-2006, 11:25 AM
964renshaw
Intermediate

Very useful thread thanks
Old 09-21-2006, 02:37 AM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

minor update.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:17 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

I just stumbled on a brand new interface I bought for my 964 and never got around to using, anyone want it? Make me an offer...

Last edited by Gary R.; 06-18-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:31 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

pm sent
Old 11-10-2007, 09:30 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Can this be run on Pocket PC does anyone know, or has experimented??
Kevin

Quick Reply: 964 Diagnostic tool FAQ