Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

back in the saddle!! - which toys to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2006, 06:04 AM
Timmer
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default back in the saddle!! - which toys to buy?

Hello again 964 forum!

after a brief respite whilst trying to sell my C4, I have decided to keep it for the summer at least and pick it up from the dealer this Friday.

in order to further enhance my reaquaintance with the red beast, I am considering some 'aural' upgrades.

The engine/filter/exhaust is 100% stock at the moment - I just want to get a little more fruity tone out (any bhp gain would be a bonus )

could someone give me a quick heads up on the merits of primary/secondary bypass and any UK guys (who are not already on their way to Le Mans) which of these require putting back in to get through the MOT.

Cheers all,

TIM
Old 06-14-2006, 07:09 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim,

If it's a pre-92 car you can get away with a cat bypass with no need to re-install the cat for the MOT. A Cup Pipe (primary bypass) is reckoned to be the best performance gain and a good improvement to the sound too. A G-Pipe (secondary bypass) is a little cheaper, easier to fit, slightly better weight saving (if you remove the final silencer) but not as good power gain.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Dave
Old 06-14-2006, 07:56 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm very happy with my G-pipe (hence the name), especially as it's cheap, a piece of **** to fit, sounds fruity and pops on the over-run at times, and particularly satisfying, allows you to remove the huge heavy 'acorn' secondary silencer.

Search the forum - there are fitting guides (Greg L) and comparitive bhp tests (Joey Bagodonuts?).

Did you change your mind cos you missed the car, or cos you couldnt sell it?
Old 06-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Timmer
Rennlist Member

thanks Dave -

looks like a g-pipe is the one to go for - are there any complications with sensors or the like, or is it a relatively straightforward swap?

cheers,

Tim
Old 06-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Timmer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
I'm very happy with my G-pipe (hence the name), especially as it's cheap, a piece of **** to fit, sounds fruity and pops on the over-run at times,
Perfect!

where can I get one?

WRT selling my car - bit of both to be honest - Eporsch actually had a guy very interested but the PPI showed up a multitude of sins so he pulled out.

his loss my gain!

well and my financial loss too..... :hehe:

ho hum
Old 06-14-2006, 09:00 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

www.type911.co.uk is where I got mine

Have a look at your clamps (particularly where the tailpipe unit attaches) before you order. They can crack with age, and may need replaced too. Its likely the nuts will be seized too - I used an angle grinder with a narrow disc to cut them off: 5 second job, and just replaced the nuts/bolts with new from a fastener supplier.

Otherwise, its osr wheel off, a bit of kindergarten plumbing, 2 or 3 bolts to remove 2ry silencer and bob's your uncle. No sensors involved, no MOT issues.

Are you Bergs from PH?
Old 06-14-2006, 09:28 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Here's where you can hear some different setups.
Here's another one. Go to my folder and watch the exhaust video. It has a back to back sound comparison between stock and the G pipe.

c
Old 06-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Timmer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny G Pipe
www.type911.co.uk is where I got mine

Have a look at your clamps (particularly where the tailpipe unit attaches) before you order. They can crack with age, and may need replaced too. Its likely the nuts will be seized too - I used an angle grinder with a narrow disc to cut them off: 5 second job, and just replaced the nuts/bolts with new from a fastener supplier.

Otherwise, its osr wheel off, a bit of kindergarten plumbing, 2 or 3 bolts to remove 2ry silencer and bob's your uncle. No sensors involved, no MOT issues.

Are you Bergs from PH?
yup - tis I -

might have a punt on this - once I've brushed up on my GCSE German....

http://cgi.ebay.de/Porsche-964-Racin...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-14-2006, 04:43 PM
grankin
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Here's where you can hear some different setups.
Here's another one. Go to my folder and watch the exhaust video. It has a back to back sound comparison between stock and the G pipe.

c
Errr ... the second one wants a password, doesn't permit anon logins.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh yes! And you can say to your mates at the pub, "Yeah, my 911 has the 964 Racing Bogen Edelstahl Auspuff mod.."
That one in the ebay pic looks just like mine, btw.

As they say on the TV times, other exhaust mods are available..I think you could very easily bypass your cat or primary, without MOT issues either, and save similar weight. The G pipe is quite a bassy sound, cat bypass a bit less so, and some people choose according to sound preference.

I am considering bypassing my Cat too, at some point, but I hear that things start getting properly loud at that point. I think a G is a good toe in the water, though.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the login for ftp://go-create.homeip.net is:
user: rennlist
password: rennlist
Old 06-15-2006, 03:17 PM
stuart1997
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im considering a g-pipe also cus my secondary seems to be blowing (from somewhere) but £100 +vat +delivery for a bit of bent pipe
I wonder if you could get some heat resist flexable hosing and codge something with that ?
(yeah im a skinflint and no nothing about exhausts )
Old 06-16-2006, 05:48 AM
Johnny G Pipe
Addict
Rennlist Member

I know what you mean..but the pipe is actually reasonably sophisticated/structural- because the G pipe physically supports the tailpipe, and dictates its position, the flange connectors have to be exactly right and the angle it turns in 3 dimensions has to be prefect too, otherwise it would position the tailpipe wrong, which would look a bit ****, or even let the tailpipe fall off. It has a stregthening strip along its length, too.

However, its actually good value if you consider it in terms of smiles per pound!

Quick Reply: back in the saddle!! - which toys to buy?