Sponsored by:

To chip or not to chip a 964

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 06:10 PM
marcandkimmie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To chip or not to chip a 964

I have a Steve Wong chip in my 86 Carrera and it made a significant improvement in driveability. My 89 C4 is currently stock chipped.

I did a forum search on the benefits of chipping a 964 but really can't find direct info.

What are the pros and cons on adding a performance chip to a 964?

Thanks,
Marc
Old 06-06-2006, 07:00 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"What are the pros and cons on adding a performance chip to a 964?"

Basically, the same as for a 3.2 Porsche or for any engine where the timing
is "pushed" as is the case for ALL performance chips, i.e. stock engines without
major mods DON'T need more fuel. That's unless you believe the B.S. hyperbole.

Bottom line: Read all the Rennlist threads about performance chips, as there
are MANY!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:18 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

So really the bottom line is mod the crap out of your engine first
Old 06-06-2006, 07:30 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

My consensus is you are better off removing weight than purchasing a chip. Chips don't add much gain even if you believe the hype, and removing weight improves braking and handling too. Plus, it's generally free (or even a profit if you sell the stuff).
Old 06-06-2006, 07:48 PM
marcandkimmie
Instructor

So far all I have done to the car is drill the air box and add a K&N filter. I planned to next add a performance chip and either a c or g bypass pipe.

Based on what I see...sounds like I should bypass a muffler before I bother with a chip. I understand the C pipe yields more power. Does it make the car much louder?
Old 06-06-2006, 07:51 PM
marcandkimmie
Instructor

As far as weight savings. I am stripping the 86 Carrera...ie air conditioning is gone (useless anyway here in Florida), carpeting pad is gone, etc. But the 86 is our "fun" car. The C4 is my daily driver so I don't want to remove anything on that one.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:21 AM
108.5dba-static
Instructor

Mine is chipped (Ruf), with a Cat By-pass, Cup-Pipe and K&N Filter with a standard air box. Everyone who drives the car comments on the improved mid range torque and smoothness. Also no problems with stalling, pick-up etc. In fact its been great and l Iove it to bits.

Personally it a great mod, however I do not believe just changing the chip will deliver very much.

The only down side is that mine now rev's to 7400 which can cause terminal problems - so you end up short shifting.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:58 AM
Christer
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let's lock this thread immediately. Or post a permanent link to 'chipping'...
Old 06-07-2006, 09:48 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Christer
Or post a permanent link to 'chipping'...
That and undertrays.

Marc
Old 06-07-2006, 09:52 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by marcandkimmie
So far all I have done to the car is drill the air box and add a K&N filter. I planned to next add a performance chip and either a c or g bypass pipe.

Based on what I see...sounds like I should bypass a muffler before I bother with a chip. I understand the C pipe yields more power. Does it make the car much louder?
Based on recent findings (posted here), you might want to re-think the drilled airbox.

The primary muffler is reported to be the most restrictive, so you might do better with a cup pipe (primary bypass) than a g-pipe (secondary bypass). No, it does not make the car much louder.

Marc
Old 06-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The C2s run too rich in the midrange and a properly done chip can address fueling in that area. I have found the timing that a Euro Cup car is hard to improve upon which is where ALL of your power is going to come from. The connecting rods in the 964 are safe to 7400rpm, they are very strong for their application. The Camshaft is going to determine the power range of the engine and with stock cams, your peak power is at 6400rpm and there is no need to push the engine past 7000rpm.

If it were me, I would forgo any aftermarket chip and get a factory euro cup car chip. If you could do live remapping on a load bearing dyno, that would be a different story...
Old 06-07-2006, 09:58 AM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default !

well, thats what i did to my previous 964 and the results woke up the car.
cup chip (ebay), catbaypass, primary bypass, k&n cone filter with a 90 degree short pipe that allowed the filter to be just under the rear spoiler.
the car drove much smoother and pulled harder than before. a lot of people dont try anything and beleive mods dont do much
the car also sounded so sweet, i would get compliments all the time
Old 06-07-2006, 10:41 AM
Shifty
Intermediate

I put a powerchip on mine, not very noticeable at higher speed, but really nice on the low end and mid range.
In a nutshell, I think it is worth it.
Miguel
Old 06-07-2006, 12:28 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

The primary muffler is reported to be the most restrictive, so you might do better with a cup pipe (primary bypass) than a g-pipe (secondary bypass). No, it does not make the car much louder.
Is this true? I'm about to get a primary bypass (to go with the G-Pipe already on) purely on the premise that it would make it loud as hell? Am I mistaken? Would a cat bypass release the desired (ie very loud) noise?
Old 06-07-2006, 12:44 PM
marcandkimmie
Instructor

On my 86 Carrera I also noticed a significant mid-range torque increase without really noticing a major top end difference. That is fine with me as I only street drive. If that is what the chip will do for my 89 C4 with a primary bypass pipe then I'm in.

Thanks guys for all your help. Sorry to belabor an already exhausted subject. But doing a search using the word chip and performance chip really does not lead to much info. I did not think to use chipping as a search word.

Quick Reply: To chip or not to chip a 964