Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Installing a two post lift?

I have done a search with no success...

Anyone have any experience as to what is involved in the installation of a two post lift? I would imagine the posts have to be bolted in place somehow - any idea of cost or how to do this?

Thanks.

Marc
p.s. This is the one I am thinking of.
Attached Images  
Old 05-19-2006, 11:15 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Marc,
A very important consideration is floor loading. The (relatively) small footprint of a 2 post lift's pads, combined with the weight of the lift + car yields a rather high floor loading #.

This is resolved in 2 ways:
1. Use of a thick concrete floor (6"min) using 3500# or better concrete. This is typically not found in a residential garage.
2. Installing concrete pilings down (concrete saw the floor, dig, pour) in the correct locations.

Failure modes include cracked concrete floors and can lead to leaning/instability...or worse.
The manufacturer of the lift you are considering will have guideline/requirements for the floor/slab....if not, be sure to ask.

4 post lifts obviously have a lower floor loading (twice as many legs/posts/pads). FWIW, I went with a single post lift, which has a very low floor loading (can be put on asphalt) due to a very large floor footprint:
http://werther.com/werther/auto/lifts/duplex.html
Of course you can't work on a car with a lift like this, I purchased it simply for storage.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Ditto on the comments from ltc. If your floor does not meet the requirements it is easy to cut the area where the slab goes and repour it to specs fixing a plate with the bolts, etc.

I will add that the lift be assymetric for better access to the interior in those situations where you need to go back in the car for something (to be able to open the door without issues if you need to).

Two post are the most practical in terms of space requirements. I would have gone the same route if the ceiling height would have allowed it...

Keep us posted on the progress Marc!
Old 05-19-2006, 12:28 PM
C4Russ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This one looks very interesting. I like the shallow depth requirements to cut the floor and provides easy access to the interior of the car. I had my car on a two post, external lift during my PPI and the guy could just barely get the doors to open and even then, the doors rested against the lift posts which made me nervous.

The S36 Stratos is flush mount so you could drive over it every day and use it when you needed. You wouldn't have to tear out the whole floor like some in-ground installations. I've got a message into them for a quote and some more installation specifications. I'll post whatever I learn from them.

S36 Stratos Lift
Old 05-19-2006, 12:48 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Some of the best money I've ever spent was on my lift:

Old 05-19-2006, 01:08 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW- I have a 4-post lift, and they did not bolt the columns to the floor. They need to be able to move a little bit since residential floors may not be perfectly flat like commerical floors. In fact, they had recently bolted a 4-post to a customer's floor at his request even though they advised against it, and then got a phone call that his Ferrari was stuck in the air- they had to go back out and unbolt the columns. The feet are flat and big enough (plus there are 4) that bolting is unnecessary in many if not most cases. Again, I can't speak to the 2-post since I don't have one, but thought this would help anyway.

Also, again this is with a 4-post, there was no problem with the concrete floor I have, which is a "standard" gargage floor. I'm very pleased with the lift- in addition to storage, we changed the exhaust system (and oil) on my brother in law's mustang, and I used it to wax the porsche (much easier!)

Good luck- these things are great!

Edit- just read Wachuko's post- he covers alot of this in his post sorry....(i.e.- 4 post vs. 2 post & 1 post loads on the floor..)
Old 05-19-2006, 01:23 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

just a note, many garage floors are pre-tension slab, and you should not cut those.
Old 05-19-2006, 01:32 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for the comments so far.

I am debating about the lift type.

I can see the advantages of a 4-post re: floor concerns but it would appear that, once you are over the installation hurdles, a 2-post would provide more flexibility and take up less pace. 2-posts also are cheaper. A scissor lift would also be an option but restricts the underside too much, IMHO - plus, the appear to be alot more $ than a 2- post.

I had resigned myself to a 4-post until I saw this low-ceiling version (9' 3" clearance neded) as most need 11' clearance for the posts which I don't have.

Marc
Old 05-19-2006, 03:11 PM
andrew911
Three Wheelin'

What are you using the lift for- storage, work or both? If for storage, isn't it bad to leave the suspension totally unloaded like the durange in the picture you posted?

On the height concern, I have no comment- I didn't have a lot of depth in my garage, but one thing I do have is a lot of height. I bought the lift that allow SUV's to fit under it...
Old 05-19-2006, 03:40 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by andrew911
What are you using the lift for- storage, work or both? If for storage, isn't it bad to leave the suspension totally unloaded like the durange in the picture you posted?

On the height concern, I have no comment- I didn't have a lot of depth in my garage, but one thing I do have is a lot of height. I bought the lift that allow SUV's to fit under it...
I use it for work, not storage (though sometimes I've had a car on there for a month at a time (engine removal). No clue if it damages the suspension, I've experienced no ill effects. Perhaps it saves the tires from flat spotting...
Old 05-19-2006, 03:48 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I use a "single post" lift
Attached Images  

Last edited by dfinnegan; 05-19-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-19-2006, 09:41 PM
OUR9II
Instructor

See also https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...highlight=lift

Search the various lift vendor sites as some include a .pdf of their lift owner's manuals with installation instructions.

My wife and I are in the process of buying a new (used) home with an 1100 sf garage, and also want to add a 2-post lift. That was until I received my quotes for the homeowner's insurance. Thank you Florida perils! Oh well, may have to put it off for a while...
Old 05-20-2006, 01:00 AM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Marc,
I have a two post 9000lb commercial lift installed on my residential 4" garage floor. I installed the lift with Hilti 5/8" stainless concrete anchor bolts. I believe the bolts were 6" in length. I can check the box if you need.
My lift has been installed for over 11 years and I have not had a problem with the floor.
It has had my Toyota truck suspended for over 4 months as I waited for some custom parts. It currently has my 964 on it as I do a quick top end reseal and do a power adder (pictures and update to follow).
I would recommend that you get an assymetrical lift as getting into any vehicle is a major pain.

Go ahead and get one, you will wonder how you ever got along without one.
You would then be able to polish the underside of you car. hehe.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:19 PM
OUR9II
Instructor

Marc,

In my search of 2-post lift sources, I recently found this site for very low ceiling heights. (No affiliation, etc., etc.)

http://www.americasprideonline.com/universal-lift.shtml

The columns are assembled in two pieces, and can be installed in a garage with less than a 100" ceiling height. The lowest I've seen so far required ~110". If your garage can accommodate the 110", then you have more options. The price is high ($3,500) versus the other low ceiling types, and it looks brand new and patented, so similar alternatives may be a while off.

I suppose that with a ceiling at ~100" (which I will have), that there may not be many advantages over a using mid-rise lift. Total available height under the car may be about the same, however, a clear floor and open access to most all of the underside may be worth it.

Good luck with your search.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Installing a two post lift?