964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could this be a CV joint problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006 | 02:21 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Default Could this be a CV joint problem?

This is regarding the "click" that has been mentioned in the past by myself and a few others, yet there is no answer as of now.

Reference the following past links, one of them being my own:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/207478-tick-when-starting-movement-in-first-or-reverse.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/234257-clicking-clutch-release-on-c4.html

Anyway, I've been monitoring this for quite a while and after all this time I think I finally have a theory of what it could be so I thought I'd bring it to the human knowledge bank we have here at Rennlist to see what you guys think.

----------------------------------------------------

Here are all of the symptoms I've noticed:

--The click is coming from the rear of the car. It's quick, loud, and only happens once each time. Either happens when you start going forward, start going in reverse, or sometimes even in second gear if you're rolling and give it a decent amount of throttle. (The latter symtom being a big reason behind my theory)

--It seems as though it clicks right when you're letting off of the clutch and engaging the gear, but it's actually when a decent amount of torque is applied.

--I've been at a certain stop sign at the top of a small hill and have put the car in first gear and let off the clutch to turn on the downward-sloped road dozens of times in the past several months and it never seems to happen in that situation. (Possibly because there isn't enough torque on the axle because it's already in motion and gravity is helping move it downhill???)

--Last week I had the car up on my friend's lift and I noticed that one of the CV boots isn't in the best shape and it seems a bit dry in there.

----------------------------------------------------

Now that I've listed the symptoms, I remember a couple past occasions when my old Audi A4 2.8Q and my old VW Passat 1.8T both got a 'click' like this when I'd accelerate around corners. It sounded like this, but would click more often while accelerating around corners.

So with these current 964 symptoms and my experience with past cars, I'm wondering if it could possibly be the CV joint(s)??? As I said, the click sounds the same but I think it only happens once with the 964 because it's solely rear wheel drive. The drive wheels are not also the steering wheels as is the case with the A4 Quattro and a FWD Passat 1.8T, which may possibly cause more stress on the CV joint itself because of steering angles, which is why the A4 and Passat would go "click click click click" while accelerating around turns, but only one click when going straight?

What do you guys think? Does this sound reasonable?

H

Last edited by Euromagination; 05-09-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-05-2006 | 05:14 PM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

I had a similar problem and believe it or not it was because I had failed to replace the brake shims when I changed my pads. I had been running without them for a long time and it seemed to have started suddenly and wouldn’t go away. I was never able to figure it out so I had my mechanic look at it when I had my car inspected – It was the missing brake shims. Every time I rolled the car forward the pads shifted forward making a click sound.

I hope yours is an easy fix like mine was.
Old 05-06-2006 | 03:51 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BaysideC4
I had a similar problem and believe it or not it was because I had failed to replace the brake shims when I changed my pads. I had been running without them for a long time and it seemed to have started suddenly and wouldn’t go away. I was never able to figure it out so I had my mechanic look at it when I had my car inspected – It was the missing brake shims. Every time I rolled the car forward the pads shifted forward making a click sound.

I hope yours is an easy fix like mine was.
Yeh I know what you're talking about. I have that problem too actually. Just did my brakes last month and I've been hearing that noise from the calipers from time to time upon directional changes, but my friend and I couldn't figure out what it was. Thanks for inadvertently telling me the fix for that. ...and where did you get the shims? I have new Textar pads and Zimmerman rotors that are squeaking so maybe that will help the problem too.

And a free bump for the issue that this thread is actually about...

-H
Old 05-06-2006 | 05:55 PM
BaysideC4
Rennlist Member

Go to a dealer for the shims. There are a few different sizes and they will have to check your year and model.

Good luck with the other problem.
Old 05-09-2006 | 04:52 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

bump
Old 05-09-2006 | 05:13 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

If you have the time and the notiuon, disconnect the cv joint and see how it feels when you turn and spin it in your hands. Just take the transmission side loose. Shouldnt be any play. Hard to describe the motion you will fee as cv joints are pretty strange, but there should be no play; no ability to feel any play when turning back and forth.

I've always been able to feel a bad cv joint that was making noise in a front wheel drive car. I suspect if its making noise in the back then it is in pretty bad shape.

good luck!
Old 07-06-2007 | 06:22 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Harry, did you figure out what the clicking was?
Old 07-06-2007 | 06:35 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

My 964 has the same noise and identical symptoms. Any resolution? I also did my brakes a while back and come to think of it, that's when I noticed it. Hm.. I'll have to look into that aspect. Great thread!
Old 07-06-2007 | 07:29 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Euromagination

Here are all of the symptoms I've noticed:

--The click is coming from the rear of the car. It's quick, loud, and only happens once each time. Either happens when you start going forward, start going in reverse, or sometimes even in second gear if you're rolling and give it a decent amount of throttle. (The latter symtom being a big reason behind my theory)

--It seems as though it clicks right when you're letting off of the clutch and engaging the gear, but it's actually when a decent amount of torque is applied.

H
I know you have been focused on the CVs and brake pads but have you considered checking your engine mounts? If they are not doing their job, then the engine would twist more than normal.
Old 07-06-2007 | 08:14 AM
david@st ives
Racer

I have a theory about this as it is actually happening in my car.

With certain clutch conditions , ie the right amount of revs and clutch speed , I get a thud just after the car makes its first thrust forwards.

It seemed to only happen after a rear cv boot replacement, that could be just coincidence as i hadnt drove my car for 12 months also.

I am inclined to think it is either the front antiroll bar , as it is mighty close to the shell of the car.

But mostly leaning towardas the front wishbone bushes, which i will be replacing soon , so i will let you know how it goes.

We also had all 4 wheels in the air and could not replicate the thud with the wheels off the ground.

Dave

Quick Reply: Could this be a CV joint problem?