'clicking' clutch release on C4

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 09:04 AM
Timmer
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default 'clicking' clutch release on C4

hello all -

yesterday my c4 developed a heavy clicking (or light clunking) on release of the clutch.

symtoms are as follows:

1) doesn't make any noise when released whilst non pressurised (engine off)

2) doesn't occur at the bite point - rather at the top of the travel (just before the dead spot that they all seem to have)

3) I had my girlfriend pump the clutch pedal whilst I listened and the noise appears to be coming from the rear of the car (i.e. it isnt pedal box related)

I'm kinda stumped - the car drives OK but I'm not comfy driving it until I at least know what it is.... any ideas?
Old 10-23-2005, 09:06 AM
Timmer
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

thats one 'click' per release - not a constant series of clicks - if that makes sense.....
Old 10-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a clicking just like this, too. I've been monitoring it for a couple months after it poppped up out of nowhere, but have found nothing. Doesn't seem to be anything major, but damn it's annoying. Just ONE, loud click each time.

Does it do it in forward gears as well as reverse as mine does? Seems to click right as you let off the clutch to engage the gear and the car starts to move--just as that first amount of torque is engaged and applied to turn the wheels. Only way it won't happen is if I let off the clutch slow enough to where I'm almost "riding" it, but of course I just did that for experimental purposes, I don't make a habit out of riding the clutch.

Very interested in finding this out, and getting rid of this annoying click.

-Harry
Old 10-23-2005, 02:02 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 611 Likes on 467 Posts

It's the clutch slave cylinder - at least in my case. I never had the click, replaced the cylinder on my cabrio, and now it does that click just as you guys describe. Sounds like some of them just click...
Old 10-23-2005, 04:54 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

If the clicking was a constant "click, click, click" while the pedal was pushed in I would check the clutch pedal travel, its supposed to measure 145mm (this should be measured anytime you replace the slave cylinder) . On the wooden floorboard there are two bolts (red arrows, first image) holding the pedal stop in place. You can loosen them and move the pedal stop downward and that will reduce the pedal travel.

If its a single click then maybe your release bearing is sticking to the guide tube? If you remove the left side rear wheel and jack the car up there are several openings in the clutch bellhousing that you can look into to diagnose the problem. For the single click sound I would remove the upper rubber covering (image below) and have someone operate the clutch pedal while watching the release fork. If there is a click than something is out of alignment!

Last edited by JasonAndreas; 10-23-2005 at 05:18 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:24 AM
Euromagination
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have this same symptom and I was noticing it more closely... mine seems to click exactly when the car starts movement. Actually, RIGHT BEFORE it starts movement...

I've also noticed it does it mostly upon a change in direction. In other words, if you're at a light and you roll backward a little (even a millimeter), then try to go forward, it will click. Or if I pull forward of a driveway to back in, it will click as soon as it start moving in reverse, but only does it when it's in gear... no clicking when it rolls while out of gear... From a dead stop it doesn't click if I haven't rolled backward at all. Weird.

I'm going to check the things posted in this thread. I have a feeling my clutch pedal needs to be adjusted anyway so i may as well learn how to do that.

Quick Reply: 'clicking' clutch release on C4